1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1985 F150 302 holley problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 10:45 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Kyre Searcher
In the pic above, the primary looks like it is dented or something, but it is not, just some weird reflection, but here is a pic of the converter plate, from 4 to 2 bbl, is it possible this plate is upside down? holding the secondary's in the wrong position?

I don't know if it matters anymore, but we can't see this picture - it's a link to your Google mailbox which we don't have access to..

Old 08-18-2014, 11:32 PM
Patrick Omally
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its to dark to do anything else tonight, but tomorrow I am going to try this and see if the adjustments will help, Im sure the first problem is still present, but once I can get the carb to work right, maybe the other problem will be much easier.

I am going to keep the manual choke handy cause it might be a better option with my truck.
If you can get the carb to work right, then everything is nearly perfect. having it run at idle at good speed == nearly perfect.

after connect the vacuum ports slowly one by one and see which one is the problem.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:49 AM
Kyre Searcher
Senior User
Originally Posted by Patrick Omally
If you can get the carb to work right, then everything is nearly perfect. having it run at idle at good speed == nearly perfect.

after connect the vacuum ports slowly one by one and see which one is the problem.

That makes perfect sense, Im getting ready to start but Im stil
l waiting on my package with gauge, I am going to try to use the mixture screws a bit today to see if I can get it close enough that I can start on the original problem.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:33 AM
Kyre Searcher
Senior User
Originally Posted by ctubutis
I don't know if it matters anymore, but we can't see this picture - it's a link to your Google mailbox which we don't have access to..

Id be happy to re post the pic, it is the converter plate on the intake from the 4bbl carb to 2bbl intake.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:50 PM
Kyre Searcher
Senior User
OK, little update, I have it running, I am posting a video here, the audio is not so great, but you can clearly hear the high idle and the engine spurting, almost like it gets the gas in spurts apart, the throttle linkage is out as far as it will go, the mixture screws are at 1 3/4 out from seat. In the video I press back on the linkage and the engine idle slows.

The engine is already at running temp, 185f

I left the vacuum line plugged until the engine was running on its own, then one by one unplugged them each, waited about 20 seconds with no engine change, then plugged them into their right place. none of the vacuum line made any change with the exception of the pcv line, when unplugged the idle slows, when plugged back into the pcv the idle stayed. This video starts after I have replaced all the vacuum lines back to where they belong.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:04 PM
Patrick Omally
Senior User
What is strange on the video? At second 51 is there a vacuum pipe that connects from a lower vacuum port and to a higher vacuum port? one vacuum pipe connecting two vacuum ports?

Looks like it is solved now. It isn't huge idle, and it might need a bit adjusting but it is running strong. It might need a bit more air if backing off the throttle kills the engine?

Old 08-19-2014, 01:10 PM
Kyre Searcher
Senior User
What is strange on the video?

At second 51

is there a vacuum pipe that connects from a lower vacuum port and to a higher vacuum port? one vacuum pipe connecting two vacuum ports?
The strange thing is the idle raises up and down the whole time its running.
One line goes to the pcv from lower passenger side of the carb, one comes from behind the choke housing to just above the choke housing.

This video shows the vacuum lines

none of the lines coming off the carb are connected together

Old 08-19-2014, 01:18 PM
Kyre Searcher
Senior User
What is strange on the video? At second 51 is there a vacuum pipe that connects from a lower vacuum port and to a higher vacuum port? one vacuum pipe connecting two vacuum ports?

Looks like it is solved now. It isn't huge idle, and it might need a bit adjusting but it is running strong. It might need a bit more air if backing off the throttle kills the engine?

when the truck is running in the video, slightly high rpms, the throttle linkage is completely backed of the adjuster screw, when I am pulling back on the throttle, it is already back all the way down and I am forcing it back just a hair more to slow the engine.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:28 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Kyre - You need to take the throttle linkage off the carb as it may be holding the throttle open some. Let's get this down to the basics. And if you need to pump it to get it started do it under the hood.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:30 PM
Patrick Omally
Senior User
The strange thing is the idle raises up and down the whole time its running.
One line goes to the pcv from lower passenger side of the carb, one comes from behind the choke housing to just above the choke housing.

Vacuum lines - YouTube
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...0-80457S#specs -- good site

https://www.holley.com/document/199r7948-5rev6.pdf
on page 4 figure 2a.
I search through the carb manual and no indication of any vacuum connection there? It almost looks like it connects a manifold vacuum ( always on max vacuum) to ported vacuum ( only high rpm vacuum). It could be the vacuum secondaries port, but i highly doubt it. If it connects manifold vacuum to ported vacuum, then it is a vacuum leak and it should not exist.

If it is surging it is probably because 1 3/4 is huge amount of fuel. I am not sure but on my carb, from 1 1/4 is almost zero fuel, and 1 3/4 is huge amount of fuel. bringing the mixture back to 1 1/2 slowly should make it run smoother and probably faster also. I would disconnect the vacuum ports and bring the mixture back to 1 1/2 very gradually.

It might be possible to leave the pcv vacuum port on, but the pcv could be the problem in the first place. the trick now that it is running is to gradually do small changes and see what if anything brings it to a good slow idle.. gradual changes one by one

Old 08-19-2014, 01:45 PM
Kyre Searcher
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Kyre - You need to take the throttle linkage off the carb as it may be holding the throttle open some. Let's get this down to the basics. And if you need to pump it to get it started do it under the hood.

Ok linkage cable has been removed, here is a video, you can still hear it spurting up and down.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:52 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Ooooof,
I feel drunk (or seasick) after watching that....

The looped line is normal for this carburetor.

Where is the full manifold port under the front bowl, on the choke side connected to?!?

Old 08-19-2014, 02:00 PM
Kyre Searcher
Senior User
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Ooooof,
I feel drunk (or seasick) after watching that....

The looped line is normal for this carburetor.

Where is the full manifold port under the front bowl, on the choke side connected to?!?

The full manifold under the front primary is plugged off, always has been so I never touched it

Old 08-19-2014, 02:17 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Ok, so now you know the throttle linkage isn't keeping the throttle open. As Jim suggested some time ago, I'd keep the linkage off as we diagnose since it is possible for it to bind and pull the throttle open, which will really confuse things - even more than they are!

Old 08-19-2014, 02:27 PM
Kyre Searcher
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Ok, so now you know the throttle linkage isn't keeping the throttle open. As Jim suggested some time ago, I'd keep the linkage off as we diagnose since it is possible for it to bind and pull the throttle open, which will really confuse things - even more than they are!

I am so sorry this has past 12 pages, I am exhausted as I am sure you are as well. Thanks again for everything....

Ok, I letting the truck cool again to make sure the last adjustments will not only work hot but cold as well, just want to be sure it will start and kick back down after choke.

On another note, I was wrong when I said the linkage was resting below the curb screw, once I removed the cable from the linkage, I turned the curb screw a bit and the linkage went down, turned it down about 3/4 of a turn and engine died. So I raised it back about a full turn and started the truck and lowered it a bit to a decent idle.

At this point it is still revving slightly on its own while in idle, and when I give a linkage bump it revs and the rev kinda lingers back down.

I tried to put it in gear while it was idling and the engine shook and died, tried once more with same result.

The engine still seems to be a bit rough when in idle, but that was the problem that started all of this. and we are getting pretty close to getting the carb close enough to figure out what started this whole thing.

Quick Reply: 1985 F150 302 holley problems