1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1985 F150 302 holley problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 02:37 PM
Kyre Searcher
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Franklin2
Adjust those mixture screws too.

will do, mixture screws to start at 1 1/2 turns from seat...Thanks

Old 08-18-2014, 03:55 PM
Kyre Searcher
Senior User
OK, closed the secondary's off and reinstalled onto intake. set the curb idle screw to seat, turned it over a few times to fill bowls, started the truck, it started at about 1200 rpms and ran that way until the choke began to open, once it started opening the idle slowed until it was trying to die,

All vacuum lines into the carb and engine have been sealed off. stuffed rag back into the secondary bbl's and started the truck again, started about 1200 to 1400 rpms and stayed until i loosened the cloth up a little at which it slowed to about 600 rpms and stayed.

Then I unplugged the vacuum plug from the line that comes from the bottom most part of the carb and could hear the loud hissing, the engine instantly started to slow down and in under 6 seconds it died. I stopped here to check in.

going to let it cool down, and start it again without the cloth and see if the same vacuum line unplugged has the same result

also, when it bagen to die in the first part of this post, I raised the linkage just a little to see if it would clear ou, it did for just a sec but sounded starved and slowed again with linkage still held in place.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:08 PM
Kyre Searcher
Senior User
OK, started the truck again, this time without cloth in the secondary's, choke nearly closed.

Truck started up at around 1900 rpms and kept running, I unplugged the same vacuum plug to the line on bottom back of carb and this time it sped up another 300 or 400 rpms..

letting it cool down again to try something else

Old 08-18-2014, 04:12 PM
Patrick Omally
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kyre Searcher
OK, closed the secondary's off and reinstalled onto intake. set the curb idle screw to seat, turned it over a few times to fill bowls, started the truck, it started at about 1200 rpms and ran that way until the choke began to open, once it started opening the idle slowed until it was trying to die,

All vacuum lines into the carb and engine have been sealed off. stuffed rag back into the secondary bbl's and started the truck again, started about 1200 to 1400 rpms and stayed until i loosened the cloth up a little at which it slowed to about 600 rpms and stayed.

Then I unplugged the vacuum plug from the line that comes from the bottom most part of the carb and could hear the loud hissing, the engine instantly started to slow down and in under 6 seconds it died. I stopped here to check in.

going to let it cool down, and start it again without the cloth and see if the same vacuum line unplugged has the same result

also, when it bagen to die in the first part of this post, I raised the linkage just a little to see if it would clear ou, it did for just a sec but sounded starved and slowed again with linkage still held in place.
i am lost without vacuum gauge readings and without fuel pressure check? clogged fuel filter? i am tired of reading this thread, so i can only imagine how frustrated you must be trying to fix..

i am so lost without vacuum gauge and fuel pressure gauge::
i would just do compression check and examine the spark plugs(i hate more than anyone to remove very glued in spark plugs and risk having something happen (or those dirty specks of dust/rocks/rust that love to sit in the park plug wells and jump into the cylinder first chance they get)with the head or spark or ?? who knows what when you remove the plugs.. I make it a habit of not touching the spark plugs if i can possibly avoid it, ever. and yet for me to type compression check to you, you can imagine how lost i am without vacuum gauge readings and fuel pressure check)

i feel horrible suggesting things to you, and they haven't fixed the problem so far

Old 08-18-2014, 04:20 PM
Kyre Searcher
Senior User
Originally Posted by Patrick Omally
i am lost without vacuum gauge readings and without fuel pressure check? clogged fuel filter? i am tired of reading this thread, so i can only imagine how frustrated you must be trying to fix..

i am so lost without vacuum gauge and fuel pressure gauge::
i would just do compression check and examine the spark plugs(i hate more than anyone to remove very glued in spark plugs and risk having something happen (or those dirty specks of dust/rocks/rust that love to sit in the park plug wells and jump into the cylinder first chance they get)with the head or spark or ?? who knows what when you remove the plugs.. I make it a habit of not touching the spark plugs if i can possibly avoid it, ever. and yet for me to type compression check to you, you can imagine how lost i am without vacuum gauge readings and fuel pressure check)

i feel horrible suggesting things to you, and they haven't fixed the problem so far
Dont feel horrible, I very much appreciate everything you have suggested.

But question, if the fuel filter were clogged or partially clogged, could that make it run rich? running rich, im assuming that means more gas than air, so the filter clog imo would have the opposite affect.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:22 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I've sworn to sit aside on this and let someone else lead, but I can't because I disagree with the change of plans. Let's continue on this tack. You've just proven some things about the situation.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:29 PM
Patrick Omally
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I've sworn to sit aside on this and let someone else lead, but I can't because I disagree with the change of plans. Let's continue on this tack. You've just proven some things about the situation.
i nominate you thread leader!

i realize it can be hard for two people to suggest things, and i would prefer you to do the suggesting, because above else i want this fixed

Old 08-18-2014, 04:30 PM
Patrick Omally
Senior User
Dont feel horrible, I very much appreciate everything you have suggested.

But question, if the fuel filter were clogged or partially clogged, could that make it run rich? running rich, im assuming that means more gas than air, so the filter clog imo would have the opposite affect.
well rpm increased when the choke was closed........... when the choke is closed it should be naturally rich

Old 08-18-2014, 04:32 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
i nominate you thread leader!
Nope. Both Dave and Jim have been helping along the lines of finding out if it is lean or rich, under what conditions, and then why. I believe you suggested pulling the vacuum cap to find out if it is rich or lean, which was a good idea. Now we need someone to consolidate what we've learned and ask the next question. I'm just reading the mail.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:36 PM
Kyre Searcher
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Nope. Both Dave and Jim have been helping along the lines of finding out if it is lean or rich, under what conditions, and then why. I believe you suggested pulling the vacuum cap to find out if it is rich or lean, which was a good idea. Now we need someone to consolidate what we've learned and ask the next question. I'm just reading the mail.

Could it be any help to temporarily remove the fuel filter from the equation?

Old 08-18-2014, 04:36 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
well rpm increased when the choke was closed........... when the choke is closed it should be naturally rich
Maybe he just hss to get the throttle open a bit.
Choke closed is getting more signal to the boosters.

Gary can have the helm, but I suggest opening the plates until it is well into the transfer slots.
The truck should have to run then.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:37 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,676 Likes on 1,355 Posts
It slowed down and died when he pulled a vacuum line off. I believe this is confirmation what we already know, he is lean. I do not know what his aversion is to those two mixture screws, but he simply refuses to move them out some.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:38 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Could it be any help to temporarily remove the fuel filter from the equation?
Leave the filter.
Let me ask which port under the carb did you open?
The PCV or the one under the choke housing?

Old 08-18-2014, 04:41 PM
Patrick Omally
Senior User
are all 8 cylinders sparking?? a spark plug inline tester would be great here
it could have even produced the problem in the first place

Old 08-18-2014, 04:41 PM
Kyre Searcher
Senior User
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Leave the filter.
Let me ask which port under the carb did you open?
The PCV or the one under the choke housing?

I opened the port on the carb that goes to the pcv

Quick Reply: 1985 F150 302 holley problems