1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine problem

Old 07-29-2014, 04:48 PM
Cariboo bill
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine problem

On the way home today upon medium acceleration I heard a pop kinda like a backfire ......now black smoke pours out on acceleration.no much in line of power either .
Hoping I haven't screwed the motor
Oh Btw it the 6.0 ltr turbo diesel 2004 f-350 super duty crew cab 4x4
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated .
Was going on holidays This thursday
Thanks in advance for any help

Old 07-29-2014, 05:01 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Kinda sounds like a turbo boot popped off. Or split. Big 3" hoses. Take a look.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:06 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Green circle on the right:

Either that blue boot, the blue boot on the other end of that tube, or the black plastic tube coming off the intake horn immediately below the oil filter cap in the picture.

Replacements:
http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/cac-in...oot-kit-03-07/

Old 07-29-2014, 05:53 PM
Cariboo bill
New User
Boot appear okay ....kinda oily tho
Can't find tube below oil filter at all
Now my migraine has kicked in.....gonna look again when heads not pounding ...

Old 07-29-2014, 05:55 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Below "in the picture", ie down the screen. In the engine bay it's the 3' black plastic tube directly in front of the the oil filter attached to the intake horn. There's an odd chance that yours is metal with black boots on it.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:11 PM
Cariboo bill
New User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Below "in the picture", ie down the screen. In the engine bay it's the 3' black plastic tube directly in front of the the oil filter attached to the intake horn. There's an odd chance that yours is metal with black boots on it.
Lol.....I read that as oil filler cap ....will look in the correct place next time
Appreciate the help guys

Yet in above post I even state oil filter ......weird , but looked all over below filler

Old 07-29-2014, 08:46 PM
Cariboo bill
New User
Hahha....the other cooler tube ?...minds not. Functioning .it seems okay as well.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:59 PM
Cariboo bill
New User
Would there not be an air noise if rubber connectors failed ? I have noticed in the past that if under load on hills ( camper on ) there was from time to time a frapping noise from engine and would bog down a bit.. I'd let off a bit and it would go away .....frap frap frap frap ( that's what it sounded like to me ) ...any ideas ?
Going to take it for a run now and see if it's cured itself .....

Well that didn't work ...couldn't see much for smoke due to light and on a dirt road. No power to speak of , engine light is now on .
Didn't really hear the turbo "spooling ? " like it normally does at low speed .
Any way of pulling a code of the truck ?
This really blows as I was about to go on a 3000 kilometre trip ( I'm in canada eh ) with camper and pulling a side x side ....

Last edited by Cariboo bill; 07-29-2014 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Adding to post so as I don't appear to be a post ***** ( you asked ;) )
Old 07-30-2014, 02:00 PM
Cariboo bill
New User
Pulled the intake hose off and checked turbo ....spins freely but there is a small amount of play to it ....very small .
How can I pull a code off of the truck ....engine light is now on .

Old 07-30-2014, 02:32 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

To get the codes from the CEL (check engine light) you need access to an OBDII scanner, or some kind of gauge setup.

AutoEngenuity, Edge Insight, DashDaq, DashBoss, and Torque App are popular gauges. Any kind of OBDII scanner should pull engine P codes. If it's transmission or other, you need a better unit like a Modis at a local shop or IDS at a Ford dealer. In the US Napa, Autozone, O'Reilys and Advance Auto do this for free, if you're in Canada then Princess Auto or Canadian Tire might be able to help.

Where is the play in the turbo? In and out it should be like .003" or less which is enough to notice in your hands, but radially you shouldn't feel any play.

The "frapping" might be turbo farts, there's no blow off or unloader valve so pressurized air sometimes blows back out of the compressor. But this shoudn't be happening under load, just when you back way off it and the turbo quits compressing.

If I had to bet without seeing the coes, I'd guess you might have a VGT or internal issue in the turbo (because farting under load), or that you have an EGR issues in the engine. Maybe an EBP sensor issue. You can pull the EGR valve to see if it's so dirty that it could be hanging open:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...egr-valve.html

But really you need to get the code read to nail down the issue.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:43 PM
Cariboo bill
New User
Just picked up a code reader ....
Shows as ..P2262 turbo boost pressure not detected showed up on it ?

Old 07-31-2014, 10:41 AM
Cariboo bill
New User
I've checked all bots as well as seams on inter cooler . Turbo connections , intake hoses etc.
still can't find any mechanical problems . If the egr valve was faulty would it not show a different code ?
Cleared code and it came back on same as before ( P2262 turbocharger/supercharger Boost pressure not detected - Mechanical ...)
Kinda at a loss here and dealer can't get me in for a week.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:49 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 981 Posts
The leak is prob on the BOTTOM of one of the boots.... with engine running (and with gloves on) run your hands on the under sides of the boots. Hopefully you will find the one with as hole.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:15 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

You need to check the MAP hose and make sure it's still in and piece and connected, and that it's port into the intake isn't clogged. It's a small hose that goes from the intake manifold to a sensor on the passenger side, this thread has pics to show you where it is:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...2004-f350.html

Make sure the hose isn't cracked or broken, and pull it off the intake and stick a wire down through the brass fitting to make sure it's open.

If the EGR valve itself was having problems, yes there would be other codes. But it's not the valve itself that we're concerned with, it's the current state of the valve in regards to any carbon build up on it. I would pull it, just because if it comes out completely covered in crud it's a good bet the intake manifold has some build up in it, and that might affect the MAP sensor reading. If it's not the MAP or a leak in the air system, it's getting closer to the time where you'll need to check the EBP sensor and tube, and might need to pull the turbo and clean it.

If you had a gauge setup you can check the MAP sensor through the engine's computer port, and compare it with barometric pressure and exhaust back pressure to make sure the sensor isn't messed up. You could also watch the turbo VGT demanded and see if the turbo is being told to do something weird, which would indicate an internal issue. A monitor is really8 a very important thing to have for a 6.0L, it's a very good investment to make.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:12 AM
Cariboo bill
New User
Wow been tearing things apart and inspecting , all boots cleaned and inspected. Put all back on and plugged hose to turbo with a can that I attached a valve stem to . Plugged the boot at intake with a can of Beans stated putting air in from a small 12 volt compressor .....no build up at all.
Inspected cooler more . Removed wire harness and low and behold ....pas Side ,engine side tank top corner and down about 8 inches .blew the seal out .
Pulling it tomorrow . Also picked up gadget material and brake cleaner .will do egr as well as turbo piston thing .
Big question ....I can get a 03 7.3 lt intercooler . From my understanding it will fit . The good is it's all aluminum ? The bad it's smaller ... What are your ideas on this ?
I'm pretty happy that it's not the turbo
Thanks for your suggestion and advice