Oil & Lubrication  

Absolute Best Oil for New F150

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 03:46 AM
BIlltheCat
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I paid hi 20K for a truck can I kvetch about the price of oil? I don't think so.

So I am asking, for the vehicle listed below small v8, in Central Florida heat and mostly street driving below 50mph, what is the absolute best oil and filter bar none regardless of price?

and should I consider any other lubricants for the tranny and rear end?

thanks! Hope I dont start a flame!

Old 07-11-2003, 09:00 AM
nascarscrew
New User

Well Bill, you've probably started another raging debate here

It's okay as we all need to vent a little now and then. I would suggest doing a search on the site and you will find several threads regarding oil & weight. I personally have a '03 S'Crew with the 5.4L, auto & tow package. I talked to a dealer tech about this. My concern is with towing. He stated the tolerances in the new trucks are so tight they can't handle a 10wX regardless of brand. He uses Amsoil 5w30 in his. With that said you will find many who are hard core fans of the 10wX weight.

I personally am using the Motorcraft 5w20 semi-synthetic and the Motorcraft filter for the first 10k miles. I'll probably switch to Mobil1 then, as I've been real happy with in in all my other cars. I just hope they come out with a 5w20 by then.

Big thing is to use a quality brand and change it on a regular basis. I do mine every 3k as it's just plain cheap insurance.

Now, here comes the raging debate.....

Old 07-11-2003, 09:14 AM
BIlltheCat
Freshman User

So you say the Motorcraft oil is a good oil. OK. Can I assume that the Motorcraft filter is very good also?

I want to get to synth after break in I guess, only at about 300 miles now. I've always heard and think that I've gleaned in the threads that if the right synth is chosen for the application then it is the best protection.

I used Mobil1 in the Ram, and a Mobil1 max filter. I wonder if that is a good choice here. I used 10-30 and think I saw something about a 5w in the racks. I dont know if it was engine oil tho.

I can call and ask them I guess. I am thinking that 1000 miles is plenty on the first oil.

Old 07-11-2003, 09:27 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill,
My OPINION, there are many, many oils that will serve you well. Take the time to look back thru the threads here. You'll see that for every person that swears by synthetic, there's somebody else who swears by dino.
Me personaly, I'd run there what I run here (Birmingham, Al.): Chevron 10w30 w/ Motorcraft filter. I hear the Motorcraft 5w20 and 5w30 is good oil. I'd have no qualms with using it.
I have heard before what nascarcrew related; "Ford" says the tolerences on the new motors are too tight and won't handle 10w-whatever. Somebody better tell that to many thousands of Ford trucks out there! I've used 10w30 since I did my first oil change, and am at 97,000 miles now. Zero problems. I don't see synthetic as a good investment for me.
But I digress......
Pick a good oil, Chevron, Motorcraft, Valvoline, Shell, Havoline, Pennzoil, whatever...Pick a good filter (I think Motorcraft is the best deal) and change both regularly.
I go 5,000 miles, but some would poo-poo that. Do whatever suits you best.

Old 07-11-2003, 10:22 AM
nascarscrew
New User

Brian, maybe I should clarify "Ford's tolerances". This is the newer trucks that are designed to run 5w20. Can say anything about before 01's. I believe Ford didn't suggest it on years prior to that. My 99 ran 5w30 and 10w30 just fine too.

Old 07-11-2003, 11:54 AM
stevesinger
Junior User

I run Pennzoil 5w30. I have had excellent luck. 238k on a 92 4.6. 176k on a 90 3.8 300+ on a 80 300 and lots of other Fords with lots of mileage. I change 1 time a month and run about 1200 miles a week. On the cars that I don't run that hard I change every 3000 miles. I think the frequency, quality of filter and changing while it is hot is the key. I have thought about going synthetic as well, but can't find the value in it yet.

Old 07-11-2003, 12:03 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nasscarcrew: point taken. But I'm still suspicious about the tolerences thing. I guess there could be something to it, but I just have a hard time believing that mass produceed motors can distinguish between 5w and 10w at startup, or 20w and 30w at operating temps. Seems like lots of "discretion" for a mass produced motor, but who am I to say ????

Steve: with your experience I'd ask, "why even try to find the value in a synthetic?" Could you do any better than you already are?

Thanks guys.

Old 07-11-2003, 12:46 PM
stevesinger
Junior User

BrianA .........You are right and that is why I have not changed. I just don't want to be one of those guys with a closed mind. I like to consider everything to be sure that I am not missing something. I have found over the years that I am not always right!

Old 07-11-2003, 06:01 PM
BIlltheCat
Freshman User

Silly me. I just assumed a synth would make for less sludge and crud than a dino. If I need not use it, then I save money; but as I said it isnt about the cost of the oil and filter.

It's about the almost 30K truck engine lasting me the next 5 or 7 years! (wife says so. and I let her!)

Old 07-11-2003, 08:42 PM
seldont
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Motorcraft 5w20 is a very good oil. Mobil 1 is good as well. I think any good oil change at 3,000 miles should serve you well. I use the Motorcraft 5w30 in my 97 5.4 however Ford released a TSB recommending 5w20 in all the V-8 mod motors I think?? My son uses the 5w20 in his 2001 Ranger. Just depends on what you are looking for. I use Mobil 1 in the wife's cars because she runs up a lot of miles so I extend the drains to 6,000 miles on her Explorer. That way I do not have to live under the thing changing oil. Her Mustang that we traded had 140,000 miles on Mobil 1 and I took a valve cover off just to take a look and was amazed how clean it was with 6,000 mile changes and it ran like new when we traded it.

Old 07-15-2003, 08:11 AM
stevesinger
Junior User

Billthecat, I think you are in good shape. I had a 4.6 that had 280,000 when I sold it. I saw it the other day and it is still running. I changed with Pennzoil every 3000. I loved that motor and think it is great. You should do very well.

Old 07-15-2003, 08:42 AM
Van/TX
Junior User

I use the cheapest oil I can find in the proper weight and rating. If it's rated SL (or SJ) and changed often (at least 3mo/3000mi) it's good enough for me. For the last few years I've been using AP lube. It's 84 cents per quart. Use to be 69 cents......Van

Old 07-15-2003, 02:49 PM
BIlltheCat
Freshman User

I am feeling better and better all the time about the truck. I almost got one with the 5.4 engine, but am happy where I am.

I will most likely go for the 5w20 at 3k as it seems like more than adequate according to Ford and y'all.

Mobil 1 is nice, but expensive. I used that and the upgraded synth filter in the Dodge Ram, and each chg was around 50 dollars!

The Ram is gone now. Long live the F150!

Old 07-15-2003, 07:28 PM
Flash
Posting Guru

I would stay with the 5w-20 that meets Ford spec. The engine will stay cleaner and the oil meeting that spec is next to bullet proof. There are several good oils out there. Castrol turns in some good numbers and has moly as part of its additive package. There sre several under Shells control now such as Chevron Supreme, Shell, Quaker State, Pennzoil, and a few others. The Pennzoil package is almost identical to the Chevron Supreme if that is of interest to you. You would be looking at 50 ppm of moly and about 130 ppm boron, both good anti-wear agents. Motorcraft has turned in some good numbers as well and has a proprietary form of zinc that is a detergent and anti-wear agent. Any you pick that meets Fords spec will serve you well.

Old 07-16-2003, 01:51 AM
DavoXT
New User

Down under Ford Australia only recommends 10w30 here for the 5.4l 3V motor.
The motor is imported from USA to fit in the Ford Falcon.
It still has 5w20 on the oil filler cap, so you would think if its ok to use 10w30 here it should be ok in the USA.
Davo

Quick Reply: Absolute Best Oil for New F150