6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

P0088 Continued

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 05:04 PM
dman255
Information Junkie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0088 Continued

My truck was throwing the P0088 code. I'm taking it into Local diesel shop tomorrow there going to diagnosis to see if the pump is really failing. If I end up having to change the pump i'm thinking of having them do the repair cab off. While cab is off having the egr and coolers delete also putting headstuds in. Just wanting opinions on any other suggestions to do while cab is off. Want to bulletproof the engine as much as possible without spending crazy money. Also is there any real benefits to putting in an aftermarket hpfp over stock? I'll keep this updated as I found out what's going on.
Thanks in advance

Old 07-27-2014, 07:46 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
don't think there is any aftermarket hpfp out there except for racing.

they may not want to do the EGR cooler delete.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:48 PM
deerefarmer2
New User
Mine did the same thing, they have an update that will fix it, the diesel tech at ford plugged his laptop in, downloaded the update and everything has been good ever since. Mine had the same code, fuel pressure too high. I would try this first.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:03 PM
dman255
Information Junkie
Originally Posted by deerefarmer2
Mine did the same thing, they have an update that will fix it, the diesel tech at ford plugged his laptop in, downloaded the update and everything has been good ever since. Mine had the same code, fuel pressure too high. I would try this first.
Yeah i'm sure that'll be the first thing. Was your truck hesitating and falling on it's face when accelerating?

Old 07-27-2014, 11:29 PM
deerefarmer2
New User
yeah, and it would get a fish bite or a bad miss in it at times too

Old 07-28-2014, 05:08 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Mine was only when towing and pulling hard. They do the reflash as first and see if that is the cure.

Mine went along time on the reflash but when traveling last summer outside of Midland Texas she acted up again. So had the HPFP replaced.

My Best guess is not the pump itself is having an issue it is the VCV. But this is a once unit so it has to all be replaced. If it was just the HPFP then there would be metal shavings going on and there isn't.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:57 PM
dman255
Information Junkie
Ok update. Truck has been in shop since monday. After some tests they can't really confirm it's the hpfp. They want to try the flash and add 2 cycle oil to fuel. They did discover today that there is an injector acting up said it was off balance on the low pressure side?? Didn't really understand I guess. Bottom line he said it could use an injector. My first thought was did hpfp send shavings to injector hence the injector problem. I asked if he'd pulled the fuel filter and looked in the bowl. I didn't have a chance before dropping it at shop, busy with work. He hadn't yet so i asked him to check that first for glitter or what not. Figured it'd be better to check that before screwing with the flash. I kinda feel like the flash is a band aide to cut down on warranty hpfp issues "just my opinion" Sorry for long post been busy all week.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:31 PM
pstroke67
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dman255
Ok update. Truck has been in shop since monday. After some tests they can't really confirm it's the hpfp. They want to try the flash and add 2 cycle oil to fuel. They did discover today that there is an injector acting up said it was off balance on the low pressure side?? Didn't really understand I guess. Bottom line he said it could use an injector. My first thought was did hpfp send shavings to injector hence the injector problem. I asked if he'd pulled the fuel filter and looked in the bowl. I didn't have a chance before dropping it at shop, busy with work. He hadn't yet so i asked him to check that first for glitter or what not. Figured it'd be better to check that before screwing with the flash. I kinda feel like the flash is a band aide to cut down on warranty hpfp issues "just my opinion" Sorry for long post been busy all week.
Dman you can't use the shavings you see inside filter housing as you will always have metal shavings due to fuel cooler machine process ford will not let us determine failure by just looking at shavings and for the inj the tech side no such thing as low side fuel pressure on the inj it all high pressure only low pressure would be return side which is inside the head and re direct fuel back to filter and for code p0088 sometimes pcm flash works and other don't it's the pcv valve sticking which will require hpp to be replace next time you go dealer ask the tech what the short fuel trims reading are for injectors and what are relative compression results and when he check for injectors did he perform tsb 08-16-7 if he can't answer following questions ask manager to get real diesel tech to work on your truck because that tech obviously doesn't have clue what's he doing

Old 07-31-2014, 09:45 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
For p0088 look for signs of water damage in the fuel bowl, lift pump and high pressure pump.
I would call my insurance co to check on filling a comp claim.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:56 AM
senix
Super Moderator
I think the tech working on it does not know the procedures for P0088.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:39 AM
dman255
Information Junkie
I'll talk with the tech again today and try and clarify the injector issue. Maybe i misunderstood. I know he said they checked the lift pump and couldn't find any issues there. He was supposed to check fuel bowl yesterday i'll ask about water though he should see that. How would you go about checking high pressure pump for water damage. I'm thinking they have't dealt with this p0088 much if at all. I'm not sure i understand. Filing a comp claim?
Thanks for all the help and input it's been very helpful.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:01 AM
cheezit
Post Fiend

To find water damage you have to pull the pump. With an injector showing low trim and that code it very suspect.
Once the pump is out disassemble it and look for any rust. Sadly once disassembled the pump must be replaced.
Complete fuel system is costly and many insurance Co will pay under comprehensive coverage. Get them involved now vs later it makes the claim easier

Old 08-01-2014, 07:37 AM
dman255
Information Junkie
So just curious is there anything else that could cause low trim on an injector? Or does that just pretty much point to the hpfp?

Old 08-01-2014, 08:32 AM
senix
Super Moderator
bad injector itself I would assume.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:04 AM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Yup a melted piston low compression bad cylinder wall bent rod bad rocker arm. I'm sure I missed a few things that could also cause it but you get the idea

Quick Reply: P0088 Continued