Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-18-2014, 04:54 PM
Post Fiend

Rusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant future
Is the plug and harness at the back of the alternator in good shape? Might want to look at it closely, a good connection here is important. Unfortunately, the rebuilt units from the chain stores don't have a good track record on a 6.0 powered trucks. While they might work ok on a gasoline powered sedan, the load on them is pretty high with the diesel.

After going thru a couple of alternators myself, I took one to a local shop for repairs. After returning it the first time they fixed it by installing some different "heavy duty" parts and it's been working correctly for a couple of years now. Like yours the indication was an intermittent BAT light on the dash.
2006, King Ranch, F250, Lariat, Super Duty, Powerstroke, FX4, CC, SRW, 20in Ultra Motorsports Goliath wheels. 2in leveling kit, Husky 16K roller hitch, ScanGaugeII. Sinister coolant filter. Blue spring. BPD EGR cooler. Riffraff CAC boots w/metal cold side tube, STC update. Fumoto valves. Rotella ELC. DashBoss. '08 Mirrors. Mishimoto Rad and 200° stat.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:44 PM

Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod View Post
Is the plug and harness at the back of the alternator in good shape? Might want to look at it closely, a good connection here is important. Unfortunately, the rebuilt units from the chain stores don't have a good track record on a 6.0 powered trucks. While they might work ok on a gasoline powered sedan, the load on them is pretty high with the diesel. After going thru a couple of alternators myself, I took one to a local shop for repairs. After returning it the first time they fixed it by installing some different "heavy duty" parts and it's been working correctly for a couple of years now. Like yours the indication was an intermittent BAT light on the dash.
I agree with Rusty...

The problem with my Autozone alternator was the fact that the regulator needed to be replaced with one that had a higher set point. (14.2 instead of just 13.5)
Excursion & 6.7 Forum Mod Death Row Inmate #21
Black Beauty The Mighty 6.0: 2005 Ford Excursion Limited, 4wd "The 6.0" Bulletproofed by Powerstroke Enginuities Straight pipe, Atlas 40, Heavily RiffRaff'd, and Gearheaded
Big Red Beast The Mighty Excursion: 2001 Ford Excursion Limited, 2wd, "The 7.3" Built with blood and sweat by Me and Riffraff Diesel, heavily modded, also Gearheaded
FTE Guidelines
Old 08-18-2014, 06:44 PM