Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-27-2014, 11:24 AM
joesluckyseven joesluckyseven is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7
joesluckyseven is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bolt-on power

Hello folks.

I am looking for some input on performance and mpg improvements in my 91 F-250 with 460 and E4OD.

I am interested primarily in low-end torque for the purpose of towing my boat and trailers around the mountains.

I am considering Hedman headers, x-pipe, etc for exhaust. 2 1/2 inches sound right?
I am also considering a high performance air intake/filter combo from K&N or Banks.
I have done some research on computer upgrades from companies like Hypertech or Jet. Are the benefits of a chip or programmer worth it?
I have also heard good things about switching to an HEI distributor as far as freed up power and MPG improvements.
When I come back later to do a rebuild, I will invest in camshaft, porting, etc. But I don't need a rebuild right now (only 44,000 miles) so I'm interested in best bang-for-the-buck, bolt-on help.
I'm not looking to race my truck, lol, I just want what towing and efficiency help I can get.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-27-2014, 11:26 AM
Diesel_Brad's Avatar
Diesel_Brad Diesel_Brad is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Gilbert, PA
Posts: 14,162
Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
First off throw EVERYTHING out the window for MPGs.
The ONLY way to get better fuel milage is driving habits, NOTHING else will change that
__________________
Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seats. PM me !!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-27-2014, 11:57 AM
snowdog79's Avatar
snowdog79 snowdog79 is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 756
snowdog79 is starting off with a positive reputation.
E-fans, and an egg under the loud pedal...
__________________
Current Ford Trucks: 94 F250 SC, 4x4/IDIT/5M
Previous:69 F600 300/5+2, 77 F250 4x2/351M/C6, 78 F150 SC 4x2/300/3M, 79 F150 4x4/400/T18, 85 Bronco II XLT 4x4/2.8/a, 89 F150 4x4/300/4M, 93 EB Bronco 5.0, 00 F150 7700 SC 4x4/5.4, 00 Ranger SC 4x4/4.0, 01 F350 CC 4x4 DRW PSD, 03 Explorer 4.6/AWD,07 F150 Screw 4x4/5.4, 94 EB Bronco 5.8
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-27-2014, 12:20 PM
Ddaybc's Avatar
Ddaybc Ddaybc is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vernon, B.C.
Posts: 303
Ddaybc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad View Post
First off throw EVERYTHING out the window for MPGs.
The ONLY way to get better fuel milage is driving habits, NOTHING else will change that
X2^ MPG and a 460 is not compatible in the same sentence However, you can get 10 or so if you drive it right when not using the truck for work.

Having said that, long tube headers, a good exhaust, and a free breathing intake will make some difference.
__________________
Dave
'94 F150 XLT, SC, LB, 4X4, 5.8, E4OD, 3.55 LS, 16" Tires
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-27-2014, 02:01 PM
krooser's Avatar
krooser krooser is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 547
krooser is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Forget the advertising claims… nothing will change enough to pay for itself in a reasonable time.

I had a 454 crew cab dually that was switched to an Edelbrock 'system' back in the early 80's… cam, intake, carb, dizzy, headers all in one package. We went from 5.5 mpg to 5 mpg after spending $1200.00.

The headers will make the engine more 'efficient' but I doubt you'll see any appreciable mileage gains. An HEI unit is ez to install but, again, you won't see any gains in mileage.

Installing an aux. two speed O/D trans, 3.55 gears and taller tires will help keep your revs down… that would help.

Keeping the truck tuned, correct air pressure in the tires and keeping your speed down will do more than spending lots of $$$ on fresh parts.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-27-2014, 02:13 PM
Old93junk's Avatar
Old93junk Old93junk is offline
Old, tired and grouchy
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: McKenzie River
Posts: 21,812
Old93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputation
Long tube headers, bump the timing to 13*, and keep everything maintained well, is about all you can do without opening up the engine.
The other stuff is pretty much gimmicks that separate you from your dollars.
__________________
93 F-250HD SC 460 E4OD
96 Explorer Limited 4.0 V-6 OHV
93 Ranger Splash 2.3 5spd electric blue
84 Ranger 4x4 2.8 V-6 5spd......500,140 miles!
Dave
Oregon Assistant Chapter leader: To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-28-2014, 10:11 AM
1995F150XLT4x4's Avatar
1995F150XLT4x4 1995F150XLT4x4 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 113
1995F150XLT4x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Despite advertisement claims..

I've found the best way to improve your MPG is by replacing worn out stock parts that actually effect MPG, for example, my fan clutch locked up and I was losing a couple MPGs. I replaced the clutch and my mileage improved. I could have done an electric fan swap and freed up more power and potentially mileage, but I didn't. A free flowing intake improved my acceleration, but not power or mileage. Long tube headers gave me a noticeable power increase, however.

Long story short, replace what you know needs replaced. Spark plugs are a big one for example. With a 460, you'll want to try to restore it to it's stock condition with new parts to get the best mileage. If you're wanting power, depending on what you do and how you do it, there's always a possibility that you'll lose mileage.

Also, just a little suggestion. Don't waste your money on a chip claiming a noticeable power increase or mileage. I've seen many of these in person and have personally tested them and saw absolutely no results. As for diesel rigs, I have seen chips that actually do provide gains. But personally, I've never seen an improvement by using a chip on a gas rig.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-28-2014, 10:27 AM
Conanski's Avatar
Conanski Conanski is online now
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 20,710
Conanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesluckyseven View Post
I am interested primarily in low-end torque for the purpose of towing my boat and trailers around the mountains.

I am considering Hedman headers, x-pipe, etc for exhaust. 2 1/2 inches sound right?
Forget the X-pipe it won't fit on most trucks, longtube headers and a single 3" will produce the most low rpm torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesluckyseven View Post
I am also considering a high performance air intake/filter combo from K&N or Banks.
Waste of money, just remove the air horns if they are still present and install a good quality filter in the stock airbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesluckyseven View Post
I have done some research on computer upgrades from companies like Hypertech or Jet. Are the benefits of a chip or programmer worth it?
Not on this vintage motor you can get the same gains by simply advancing timing at the distributor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesluckyseven View Post
I have also heard good things about switching to an HEI distributor as far as freed up power and MPG improvements.
That is complete nonsense there are no performance gains available at the distributor, period.
__________________
Paul (Conan) O'Brien

1990 5.0HO AOD XLT X-Cab F150 3.55LS, 1994 3.0L 5-sp x-cab Ranger 3.45, 2004 3.0L 5-sp X-cab Ranger Edge 4.10, 2004 2.5L 5-spd Subaru Legacy
1996 Kawasaki ZX11D, 2004 Honda 599, 2008 Kawasaki KLR650
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-28-2014, 10:38 AM
dustyroad's Avatar
dustyroad dustyroad is online now
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 358
dustyroad is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.dustyroad is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
echo the mpg and performance on a 460 do not go together.
You get one or the other but not both. Performance is easier to get than mpg.
Personally on my 460 I'm looking to put back the stock air assembly, I think they do a better job than aftermarkets for my applications. Not a fan of the K$N unless you're running a strip car.
__________________
Stop cutting up good trucks, save history!
1979 F150 4x4 460/np435
1988 E250 "falcon" class B 351/c6
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-29-2014, 09:48 PM
eagle275's Avatar
eagle275 eagle275 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Unicorn Utopia
Posts: 304
eagle275 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Paul, not trying to hijack, but what make of long-tube headers should I be looking at? L&L no longer makes them for our trucks. Guy at JBG's said a set of Mad Dogs - 460 Fenderwell Exit/ EFI

I was gonna have an X-pipe made to fit or maybe an H-pipe. Also have to remove the horns. As far as 3" exhaust, it that from headers back? I was going to use a hi-flow cat and bullet muffler. I thought about true duals with 2 high-flow cats and bullet mufflers(hi-flow). I am going to sell my K&N set up and go back to stock air box with a good filter too. Thanks man!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Conanski View Post
Forget the X-pipe it won't fit on most trucks, longtube headers and a single 3" will produce the most low rpm torque.

Waste of money, just remove the air horns if they are still present and install a good quality filter in the stock airbox.

Not on this vintage motor you can get the same gains by simply advancing timing at the distributor.

That is complete nonsense there are no performance gains available at the distributor, period.
__________________
1996 F-350 7.5L C6 w/Gear Vendor O/D Std Cab LB

1978 Camo F-250 4X4 Gone But Not Forgotten.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-31-2014, 11:13 PM
eagle275's Avatar
eagle275 eagle275 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Unicorn Utopia
Posts: 304
eagle275 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not trying to hijack, can you explain what you did orwhere you got it to have a free flowing intake? Thanks!



Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995F150XLT4x4 View Post
Despite advertisement claims..

I've found the best way to improve your MPG is by replacing worn out stock parts that actually effect MPG, for example, my fan clutch locked up and I was losing a couple MPGs. I replaced the clutch and my mileage improved. I could have done an electric fan swap and freed up more power and potentially mileage, but I didn't. A free flowing intake improved my acceleration, but not power or mileage. Long tube headers gave me a noticeable power increase, however.

Long story short, replace what you know needs replaced. Spark plugs are a big one for example. With a 460, you'll want to try to restore it to it's stock condition with new parts to get the best mileage. If you're wanting power, depending on what you do and how you do it, there's always a possibility that you'll lose mileage.

Also, just a little suggestion. Don't waste your money on a chip claiming a noticeable power increase or mileage. I've seen many of these in person and have personally tested them and saw absolutely no results. As for diesel rigs, I have seen chips that actually do provide gains. But personally, I've never seen an improvement by using a chip on a gas rig.
__________________
1996 F-350 7.5L C6 w/Gear Vendor O/D Std Cab LB

1978 Camo F-250 4X4 Gone But Not Forgotten.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-01-2014, 12:30 AM
1995F150XLT4x4's Avatar
1995F150XLT4x4 1995F150XLT4x4 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 113
1995F150XLT4x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sure, it's quite simple.

I removed the snorkel that runs from near the top of the radiator (where the air is taken in) to the bottom of the airbox, and removed the airbox/filter itself. Then all you should be left with are the two long rubber tubes coming from the throttle body (or one long rubber tube if you have MAF rather than MAP)

My truck does not have the mass airflow sensor so I have two tubes. What I did was put a 45 degree aluminum elbow coming from the tube closest to the firewall, and a straight aluminum pipe exiting the tube closest to the front of the truck. Then on the end of each pipe I put a K&N cone filter. Optionally, you could run two short straight lengths of pipe out of each tube, and buy a dual inlet K&N filter. (Or whatever brand you prefer). If you DO have a Mass airflow sensor, you could probably get away with just removing the airbox and add one short pipe to the end of the tube with a cone filter on it. Though I'm not sure if this would effect the sensor as personally I dont have one. Also, as for the crankcase breather tube that runs from the top of the motor to the airbox, just remove the tube and put a crankcase breather filter on it. I use a 10 dollar edelbrock one because it's all my auto parts store had.

I attached a picture of the setup so you can get a better understanding. Doing it this way saves you a lot of money instead of buying the official K&N plastic tube specifically for our trucks, though I still decided to use K&N filters. You can get some cone filters on ebay for around 10 bucks each and get the same results. I did it for ACCELERATION IMPROVEMENT, NOT HORSEPOWER.

Enjoy!
Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
"Truck" - '95 F-150 XLT / 351W E4OD / 3.55LS / 3" lift on 33s - daily driver
"Papa" - '77 F-150 Reg cab shortbed / cammed 400M, headers, holley 4bbl
"Bubba" - '79 F-250 longbed / 460 / work in progress
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-01-2014, 12:57 AM
eagle275's Avatar
eagle275 eagle275 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Unicorn Utopia
Posts: 304
eagle275 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Awesome! Are those your stock tubes? I have a 460 twin tubes also. Did your truck have the air horns? I just got the BBK throttle body and I really like what you did. I like the crankcase breather idea also. Are those tubes the same size as on a 460? Thanks for the info, really appreciate it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995F150XLT4x4 View Post
Sure, it's quite simple.

I removed the snorkel that runs from near the top of the radiator (where the air is taken in) to the bottom of the airbox, and removed the airbox/filter itself. Then all you should be left with are the two long rubber tubes coming from the throttle body (or one long rubber tube if you have MAF rather than MAP)

My truck does not have the mass airflow sensor so I have two tubes. What I did was put a 45 degree aluminum elbow coming from the tube closest to the firewall, and a straight aluminum pipe exiting the tube closest to the front of the truck. Then on the end of each pipe I put a K&N cone filter. Optionally, you could run two short straight lengths of pipe out of each tube, and buy a dual inlet K&N filter. (Or whatever brand you prefer). If you DO have a Mass airflow sensor, you could probably get away with just removing the airbox and add one short pipe to the end of the tube with a cone filter on it. Though I'm not sure if this would effect the sensor as personally I dont have one. Also, as for the crankcase breather tube that runs from the top of the motor to the airbox, just remove the tube and put a crankcase breather filter on it. I use a 10 dollar edelbrock one because it's all my auto parts store had.

I attached a picture of the setup so you can get a better understanding. Doing it this way saves you a lot of money instead of buying the official K&N plastic tube specifically for our trucks, though I still decided to use K&N filters. You can get some cone filters on ebay for around 10 bucks each and get the same results. I did it for ACCELERATION IMPROVEMENT, NOT HORSEPOWER.

Enjoy!
Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
1996 F-350 7.5L C6 w/Gear Vendor O/D Std Cab LB

1978 Camo F-250 4X4 Gone But Not Forgotten.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-01-2014, 01:13 AM
1995F150XLT4x4's Avatar
1995F150XLT4x4 1995F150XLT4x4 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 113
1995F150XLT4x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
No problem

Yes, they are the stock tubes. Unsure exactly as to what you mean by "air horns", but all I had to remove in order to do this was:

snorkel to airbox
airbox and filter
crankcase breather tube
---------------------------

I want to say there isn't a difference in the tube length, but I can't say for sure. If you had issues with clearance I'm sure you could find a way around it. If there is a difference in tube length, it can't be too significant.

Oh, and from personal experience, nice choice on the BBK throttle body. A close friend of mine has a 351w and he got some VERY decent power gains from adding a Edelbrock performer upper intake manifold, BBK throttle body, upgraded injectors, an intake setup similar to mine, and a distributor timing advance. He had good results with all of these things working hand in hand. Unsure of what kind of gains you'll get with only an upgraded throttle body, as the stock intake manifold might hold it back, you know? Just my two cents.
__________________
"Truck" - '95 F-150 XLT / 351W E4OD / 3.55LS / 3" lift on 33s - daily driver
"Papa" - '77 F-150 Reg cab shortbed / cammed 400M, headers, holley 4bbl
"Bubba" - '79 F-250 longbed / 460 / work in progress
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-01-2014, 01:30 AM
jasoncarpenter1's Avatar
jasoncarpenter1 jasoncarpenter1 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ontario, California
Posts: 179
jasoncarpenter1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995F150XLT4x4 View Post
Sure, it's quite simple.

I removed the snorkel that runs from near the top of the radiator (where the air is taken in) to the bottom of the airbox, and removed the airbox/filter itself. Then all you should be left with are the two long rubber tubes coming from the throttle body (or one long rubber tube if you have MAF rather than MAP)

My truck does not have the mass airflow sensor so I have two tubes. What I did was put a 45 degree aluminum elbow coming from the tube closest to the firewall, and a straight aluminum pipe exiting the tube closest to the front of the truck. Then on the end of each pipe I put a K&N cone filter. Optionally, you could run two short straight lengths of pipe out of each tube, and buy a dual inlet K&N filter. (Or whatever brand you prefer). If you DO have a Mass airflow sensor, you could probably get away with just removing the airbox and add one short pipe to the end of the tube with a cone filter on it. Though I'm not sure if this would effect the sensor as personally I dont have one. Also, as for the crankcase breather tube that runs from the top of the motor to the airbox, just remove the tube and put a crankcase breather filter on it. I use a 10 dollar edelbrock one because it's all my auto parts store had.

I attached a picture of the setup so you can get a better understanding. Doing it this way saves you a lot of money instead of buying the official K&N plastic tube specifically for our trucks, though I still decided to use K&N filters. You can get some cone filters on ebay for around 10 bucks each and get the same results. I did it for ACCELERATION IMPROVEMENT, NOT HORSEPOWER.

Enjoy!
Click the image to open in full size.
That is a 5.8L motor not the 7.5L Right.??? 460 has air horns
__________________
94 bronco fuel injected 460 big block, dana 60 king pin 35 spline chromoly front with power loc, sterling 10.25 with detroit, 5.13 gears, 42" irok's......
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:30 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Lite"- upgrades to a '08 STX Caretaker 2004 - 2008 F150 4 04-25-2012 08:51 PM
1950 F1 Bolt-on crossmember? Anyone? Slarsonroy50F1 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 4 06-04-2008 08:53 AM
Good bolt-ons for 360FE? fslay FE & FT Big Block V8 (332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428) 10 05-14-2006 12:25 PM
Hypertech III Programmer Feedback stroker2 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 2 07-29-2005 11:08 AM
Best bolt-on performance upgrades, 5.4L? DS02F250 Super Duty & Heavy Duty 11 12-10-2003 01:07 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


Participate In The Forums

Create new posts and participate in discussions. It's free!

Sign Up »





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup