Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Knocking real bad and puffen white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 10:24 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JOHN2001
Ahhhh yes... The perfect reason to have dual EGT gauges, it would definitely help narrow down one bank and you'd have something to compare to (the opposite bank).

These guys have you covered, I just wanted to ad some food for thought
I guess you only need one egt gauge now how you like the dark side

Old 07-28-2014, 04:36 AM
puffen:D
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snakedoc
If you just have to look you could tie the oil stick flange off and push it in and look just need a new oring and nut to put it back on
I forgot about that hole. I had to fix that leak a few years ago. Thanks everyone for all your input. I'll post my findings.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:32 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by snakedoc
I guess you only need one egt gauge now how you like the dark side
It is surprisingly fun, permagrin is still there every time I touch the skinny pedal and hit a big bump, my back doesn't hurt anymore after driving a long distance, my wallet is happier when I fill up and do the math on mpg.... I do miss the stance and tough look of my SD though. It wasn't on the lot a week and sold. I haven't hooked anything heavy to it yet, EGTs are higher at crusing speed... 800* but never see more then 1200 wot.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:50 AM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What does the smoke smell like?
Raw diesel? Coolant? Oil?

Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
My bet is that you have a broken or split nozzle on one of your injectors. Your description sounds exactly like when I had a nozzle split around 250k miles. Isolating the bad injector and unplugging it might help....not sure because I've never tried it.
I concur with this, sounds like a cracked tip.

Originally Posted by puffen:D
When l watched the first video saw down a ways was a video from a Brandon Girardi that unfortunately sounded more like my problem..a broken skirt. Does anyone know if you remove the oil plug can you see the bottoms of all 8 holes with a borescope? Or is there a splash pan in the way. I've never had one of these apart.
I don't think you will have an easy time getting a bore scope to the bottom of all the cylinders through the oil drain plug. The crank and rods will likely be in the way too much.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:29 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by puffen:D
Did it cause any collateral damage? It sounds terrible!
Nope. However I didn't run the engine very long that way. I happened about 2 blocks from my house so I just idled back home and shut it down. It sounded like a sledgehammer was smashing around inside the engine block. I pulled all 8 injectors and sent them to Rosewood for testing. It wasn't visibly obvious to me which injector might be the culprit because it has a very fine split line in the nozzle. When the injector was pressurized, it started spraying everywhere so that was the smoking gun. I had them rebuild the injectors with 8 new nozzles and the engine has been running well ever since. That was about 100k miles ago....

Old 07-28-2014, 09:21 PM
Senior User
I never check the smell of the smoke, looked like unburned fuel kind of like what you'd see on a real cold morning but just one puff not 8. I really didn't want to run it long enough for me to run back and sniff. I will try to run the borescope in through the dip stick fitting hole in the pan but I wouldn't have time to do that until this weekend.
Thanks again and I'll post my findings.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:10 PM
Senior User
Well work has kept me from getting to this until now. I ran the endoscope through the dip stick hole and could only see the bottom side of four pistons. Didn't see anything that looked suspicious. I've never been into a 7.3 before and the distance between the rod and piston looked a little excessive from what I'm use to seeing but they all looked the same. I pull all of the sticks out and other than o-rings really bad and starting to leak no real " found it " moments. One injectors clamp bolt was quite loose compaired to the others and when I pulled it, it was almost spotless from the last o-ring down. I thought "a ha" at that point but on closer inspection, I could'nt see anything really wrong other than the o-ring was shot. Could that cause the sluge hammer knock? Does anyone know a ballpark cost on having the injectors tested? I'll post some pic's later but wanted to get this out before I hit the hay.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:02 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Low torque on an injector bolt will absolutely cause an obnoxious knock and a fog bank - that was my second video. I say pop 'em in with new rings, leave the VCs off, and fire it up. It will be a bit "bangy" until the air gets worked out of the oil - you might have to powerbrake it. You need to retorque the sticks after the engine is warm anyway, so having the VCs off for the first warm-up is a good practice.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:52 PM
Senior User
I would not call it an obnoxious knock. I would call it scare your hair white, sludge hammer to the block knock.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:59 PM
Senior User
Alright, I was going to post some pic's but having issues. Page seems to freeze every attempt.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:20 PM
Senior User
Well, my worse fear is realized. My knock is a spun #6 rod bearing. I pulled my injectors and other than needing o-rings, looked pretty good. I used a loupe to look at the nozzles and they all looked good. I put it all back together with new o-rings and fired it up and although the smoking was a lot less it was still knocking. I pulled the left head and found #6 piston had been hitting the head. So out came the engine and pulled 6, yep spun bearing..great. So now I have the motor in pieces for a full rebuild. It baffles me why it spun. I change the oil as religiously and use Rotella 5-40. Truck only used a little oil when pulling hard and never looked very sooty when changed. I wasn't working it hard when it went, less than 2 k rpms on the hiway?? I was hoping I could get another 100k before it needed this kind of work. Oh well it's only money......

Old 09-18-2014, 08:50 PM
Senior User
Can a injector malfunction to cause to much fuel to dump into a cylinder enough to put a put it into an almost hydro-lock condition which would hammer the rod bearing? Or would it just blow a gasket or bend a rod? just thinking...

Old 09-19-2014, 05:30 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
The injector reloads to capacity before firing and that's it. It's not like fuel can "flow" from the fuel rails straight in... except in the case of a very loose injector.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:25 PM
Senior User
That's what I thought but I'm not too familiar with this style of injector. I'm thinking of putting my old ones back in and try them after I get my motor back together. If they'll work ok, i'll swing for new ones after I recovery from the motor expense.

Old 09-20-2014, 04:38 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Man... I feel for yuh. You're getting one solid hit, I'm dying of a thousand cuts. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Knocking real bad and puffen white smoke