Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-2014, 09:10 PM
Posting Guru

dixie460 has a good reputation on FTE.dixie460 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue924.9 View Post
yeah you see, its quite simple... [blah blah blah]... also since people think they know it all they would know if you start to spin you LIGHTLY hit the brakes to reduce power to the ground and increase traction to gain a little bit more footage not slam on the brakes and throw yourself threw the windshield
Applying brakes for more traction only works when you can brake the wheel that is losing traction, like you can with that Allis-Chalmers in your avatar and most other tractors as well. Not gonna work in a truck where all four brakes are slaved to one pedal.
96 F-150 SCSB - 351W - Rebuilt E4OD - Manual 1356 T-Case Swap - 3.55 Gears - 31x10.50x15 Falken WildPeaks - York 210 OBA - 130A Alternator - MileMarker Supreme Lockouts - Badlands 12K Winch - Dual Thrush Glasspacks - LED Headlight Conversion
Old 07-30-2014, 02:23 AM
Postmaster

ATC Crazy has a very good reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a very good reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a very good reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
yeah you see, its quite simple, since the sled is DRAGGING on the ground when you hit the brakes the sled stops before it hits you, its not on wheels or else there would be no resistance. ever been to a pull where something goes wrong and they push in the clutch? stops just as fast as it would if you hit the brakes and the sled doesn't slam into them. I suppose if you were running 25 mph and locked the brakes up then it could slide into the truck but would probably just glide into it and not cause much damage, even more 99 percent of the sleds have stakes that dig into the ground at a pre set footage, so in other words, for all you grand stand know it alls there is a very VERY good chance the sled will come no where close to hitting you, and if the stakes are in the ground there is a ZERO percent chance of it hitting you. it would be more likely the sled would stop before you would and you would rebound backwards slightly but that chances of that are slim.

also since people think they know it all they would know if you start to spin you LIGHTLY hit the brakes to reduce power to the ground and increase traction to gain a little bit more footage not slam on the brakes and throw yourself threw the windshield
Sorry...but you are dead wrong. The sled will NOT just stop on a dime. It WILL rear end the truck. I go to several a year, and it never fails...every truck/tractor/semi that loses a driveshaft/u-joint/axle gets rear ended.
The exception to that rule, is if the truck is just about stopped, with the weight box at the front of the sled.

The last one I went to was in June. I s**t you not, there was a diesel Toyota FJ40 (mid-late '70's maybe...I don't know) hook up to the sled. Purely just to put on a show. He stalled it a couple times before the 60' mark, and each time, the sled met his hitch with a *Thud*

Old 07-30-2014, 04:42 AM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
Quote:
yeah you see, its quite simple, since the sled is DRAGGING on the ground when you hit the brakes the sled stops before it hits you, its not on wheels or else there would be no resistance. ever been to a pull where something goes wrong and they push in the clutch? stops just as fast as it would if you hit the brakes and the sled doesn't slam into them. I suppose if you were running 25 mph and locked the brakes up then it could slide into the truck but would probably just glide into it and not cause much damage, even more 99 percent of the sleds have stakes that dig into the ground at a pre set footage, so in other words, for all you grand stand know it alls there is a very VERY good chance the sled will come no where close to hitting you, and if the stakes are in the ground there is a ZERO percent chance of it hitting you. it would be more likely the sled would stop before you would and you would rebound backwards slightly but that chances of that are slim.

also since people think they know it all they would know if you start to spin you LIGHTLY hit the brakes to reduce power to the ground and increase traction to gain a little bit more footage not slam on the brakes and throw yourself threw the windshield
If you hit the brakes, the sled will hit you. bless you are going less than 1 mile an hour. The sled typically weighs 30,000lbs and stopping 30,000lbs take a LITTLE more thine than your 5,000lb pickup

As for hitting the brakes? NO, NEVER hit the brakes. You are going to spin the wheels. You are one dirt dragging 30,000lbs
Old 07-30-2014, 01:23 PM
Postmaster

ATC Crazy has a very good reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a very good reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a very good reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a very good reputation on FTE.
If you do have to stop for some reason, never hit the brakes. Just ease up on the throttle...never letting off of it. Ease up until you come to a stop, THEN hit your brakes. Always keep tension on the hook.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:42 PM
Posting Guru

GNR22 has a good reputation on FTE.GNR22 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad View Post
If you hit the brakes, the sled will hit you. bless you are going less than 1 mile an hour. The sled typically weighs 30,000lbs and stopping 30,000lbs take a LITTLE more thine than your 5,000lb pickup

As for hitting the brakes? NO, NEVER hit the brakes. You are going to spin the wheels. You are one dirt dragging 30,000lbs
This. Simple physics.

I recall a time when blue924.9 was giving a ton of misinformation and dangerous advice in other threads which were going to cause the OP to wreck their truck and cause serious damage and was called out on it. It would be a service to this community as a whole if you would CEASE and DESIST giving information when you have NO idea what you are talking about.
-1989 F250 (RCLB) 4x4, 4speed NP435 tranny, SAS D44HD, 351w, 3.55 (L/S front and rear), F250/350 Hybrid Suspension, Pacesetter Shorty Headers, into 3" Summit Racing Street and Strip Mufflers, 235/85R16 Uniroyal Liberators.
-1994 Thunderbird LX, Moonlight Blue, 4.6L, Automatic, Bone Stock
-2012 Focus SE
Old 07-30-2014, 09:03 PM
Posting Guru

blue924.9 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNR22 View Post
This. Simple physics.

I recall a time when blue924.9 was giving a ton of misinformation and dangerous advice in other threads which were going to cause the OP to wreck their truck and cause serious damage and was called out on it. It would be a service to this community as a whole if you would CEASE and DESIST giving information when you have NO idea what you are talking about.
which info did I give that was dangerous?

as for the sled ours must be different than the rest of the sleds out there, I have clutched in and stopped on a dime multiple times for various reasons and the sled never slid more than a foot, this is going anywhere from 2.5 mph to 15 mph depending on class. I have also went to other pulls with other sleds who run unlimited who have done the same thing and never had a problem with the sled hitting them, and our sled weighs a little over 45,000 pounds not the standard 30,000 pounds so maybe I should clarify, in my experiences I have never had, or seen a sled slide into the puller, maybe I need to get out and experience the world more, or witness these sleds that apparently have no resistance to them slide into the pull vehicle
Old 07-31-2014, 02:39 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
which info did I give that was dangerous?

as for the sled ours must be different than the rest of the sleds out there, I have clutched in and stopped on a dime multiple times for various reasons and the sled never slid more than a foot, this is going anywhere from 2.5 mph to 15 mph depending on class. I have also went to other pulls with other sleds who run unlimited who have done the same thing and never had a problem with the sled hitting them, and our sled weighs a little over 45,000 pounds not the standard 30,000 pounds so maybe I should clarify, in my experiences I have never had, or seen a sled slide into the puller, maybe I need to get out and experience the world more, or witness these sleds that apparently have no resistance to them slide into the pull vehicle

Does your sled operator wear a 5-pt harness and Hans device? Going 15mph to 0 in only 1 foot a hundred or more times a night must be tiring on him.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:34 AM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
I am still laughing at 1000s of plus experience.

You are what? 20

That would mean you 100 pulls a year since you were born.

Just drop it, every one knows you are full of it
Old 07-31-2014, 03:06 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy View Post
Does your sled operator wear a 5-pt harness and Hans device? Going 15mph to 0 in only 1 foot a hundred or more times a night must be tiring on him.
a five point yes a hans no
Old 07-31-2014, 03:28 PM
Posting Guru

GNR22 has a good reputation on FTE.GNR22 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad View Post
Just drop it, every one knows you are full of it
No doubt.

blue, As for the advice that would be dangerous, you told the OP to use the brake.
You have no idea what youre talking about. Do the forum a service and stop posting until you have a CLUE what you're talking about. There is no reason for you to post comments if you are going to give wrong answers and dangerous advice.
Do not take this as a personal attack, but as a reality check. You don't know as much as you think you know, and the only way to know more is to accept that there are people that know more than you do.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:48 PM
Posting Guru

blkF250HD is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.blkF250HD is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Typically the only people who pull with their DDs are ones with enough money to not give a crap what breaks or blows up. Otherwise every other truck out there is built just for pulling, since they know breakage is inevitable.

Google "Garden Tractor Pulling" one. I kid you not, it looks like fun and it won't leave you walking home!
'09 WRX premium
'04 Polaris 500 Classic
Old 08-01-2014, 02:09 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
a five point yes a hans no
What kind of operation are you going to? I've watched the big guys run several times (jet engines, 5 blown big-blocks, 24cyl aircraft engines), and the sled operator wears nothing but a lap belt.

Your guy is wearing a 5-pt harness for street-legal pickups? Please...

Old 08-01-2014, 03:26 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy View Post
What kind of operation are you going to? I've watched the big guys run several times (jet engines, 5 blown big-blocks, 24cyl aircraft engines), and the sled operator wears nothing but a lap belt.

Your guy is wearing a 5-pt harness for street-legal pickups? Please...
yeah and the operator also has a cab and decent seat to sit in, our sled has a low back seat with foot pegs and no cab, all while being a few feet in front of the tires, the insurance guy took one look at it and told us the lap belt wasn't going to be enough if we wanted his company to insure the sled. hence the five point harness
Old 08-01-2014, 08:54 PM
Posting Guru

eakermeld is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I helped with one of those sleds once. What a death trap! Got any pics?
2000 Buick LeSabre
1982 IH S2500 400 Cummins 13spd
1994 CAT 953B 3116 Hydrostat
Old 08-01-2014, 09:29 PM
Posting Guru

eakermeld is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Click the image to open in full size.
It was a lot like this one, but no cab. A guy in a really hot Dodge hooked on to it and went tearing down the track at about 30 mph. They red flagged him and he slammed on the brakes. The sled slammed into him so hard it tore one side of his tailgate loose. It threw the operator out onto the ground (wasn't me thank goodness) and the weight box went flying forward and broke the drive chain. Then as it came back, totally uncontrolled, the drive chain tangled around the drive sprockets and ripped them completely out of the sled. That was the end of that sled. The guy in the Dodge jumped out and took off after the flagman on foot! It took five guys to hold him back. He was gonna inflict a little damage of his own on the flagman for wrecking everything including his truck! The fire dept in a nearby town was putting on the pull and their insurance covered all the damage.
2000 Buick LeSabre
1982 IH S2500 400 Cummins 13spd
1994 CAT 953B 3116 Hydrostat
Old 08-01-2014, 09:29 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks