2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What was ford thinking of

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 10:31 PM
Tigauto
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What was ford thinking of

2007 5.4 rough idle and misfire with chain noise and squealing noise.
Started with misfire 3 & 4 carbon tracks on plugs, replaced misfire gone.
Then engine vibration, I knew timing chain had problem.
So headed for squeaking noise removed belt still there.
Didn't do oil PSI test headed right for rocker covers, removed.
Found cams pitted and scored, removed cam cap scored.
Removed engine with cam caps scored engine done or at least top end.
After which removed timing cover found tensioner on right side collapsed.
On the 5.4 when the tensioner collapses oil **** out the plunger. This leads to lack of oil to top end. Sliders and chain look almost new found broken exhaust studs. The one thing that I can not fandom is way would Ford design heads that can not be rebuilt. Once scored the heads are done. Just the case heads 1600.00 each. It just really gets to me that manufactures Ford or who ever get away with this. Really how much more would it cost to put cam bearings in the heads.

So to all you guys out there doing chains and phasers remove rocker covers before wasting money. I also found in my investigation that oil filters have been found to lose parts of there filter causing VCT blockage. This will also take out your heads. Iv been a mechanic for 27 years now I find I just shack my head more and more ever day. How do you tell someone that owes 10,000 grand on there truck and now need to spend 7,000 grand on a motor. All manufacture are going down the same road. It's time the manufacture are held accountable for there poor design. Hope this helps someone

Old 07-27-2014, 07:26 AM
ramhunter5877
Freshman User
If possible

What's the best way to to try to keep this from happening ? Thanks

Old 07-27-2014, 03:12 PM
Tigauto
Junior User
I guess change oil regularly, use quality oil filter not dealer. According to ford synthetic oil is recommended. Any misfire or strange noise investigate right away. Other then that nothing it's just the way the engine is manufactured.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:58 PM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigauto
I guess change oil regularly, use quality oil filter not dealer. According to ford synthetic oil is recommended. Any misfire or strange noise investigate right away. Other then that nothing it's just the way the engine is manufactured.
Ford recommends synthetic? According to who? Your local dealer? The manufacturer sets a specification, if the oil meets it your good to go. Typically Ford's spec is the same as the current ILSAC, GF standards. They could be a little pickier with the EcoBoost engines I'm not sure on that. Either way conventional, synthetic or blend makes no difference it either meets the specification or it doesn't. Why do you believe the Motorcraft filters are inferior?

Old 07-27-2014, 08:00 PM
Tigauto
Junior User
They are made by the same company that has admitted it has problem with there's. For some reason peaces of the filter come apart and plug VCT.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:07 PM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
Are they finding tears on the glued media like in the FL820S now? Last I knew it was only on the ones with a metal crimp. Admitedly I have not been keeping up on it or cutting open filters myself though.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:23 AM
db_tanker
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
um...been using Ford oil filters for a bit and never had any issues.

this includes my wife's new 2013 Escape 2.0 EB.

all my friends that drive Ford trucks go to the dealer to get the oil changed.

never seen or had issues.

I honestly think that your dealer might be trying to hose you or if it were a pre-owned vehicle someone else ragged the heck out of it before you and didn't keep a proper maintenance schedule.

perhaps you are that "lottery winner" and got the one filter that will let go.

but nowhere have I seen any logical, documented proof that there are major issues with the motorcraft filters as in the case with Fram.

sorry to disagree with you but there are too many other issues to contend with and then just arbitrarily blame one single product with little to no scientific proof.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:39 AM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by db_tanker
um...been using Ford oil filters for a bit and never had any issues.

this includes my wife's new 2013 Escape 2.0 EB.

all my friends that drive Ford trucks go to the dealer to get the oil changed.

never seen or had issues.

I honestly think that your dealer might be trying to hose you or if it were a pre-owned vehicle someone else ragged the heck out of it before you and didn't keep a proper maintenance schedule.

perhaps you are that "lottery winner" and got the one filter that will let go.

but nowhere have I seen any logical, documented proof that there are major issues with the motorcraft filters as in the case with Fram.

sorry to disagree with you but there are too many other issues to contend with and then just arbitrarily blame one single product with little to no scientific proof.
It is true that people have been cutting open filters and finding the media torn on Purolator oil filters. It is also true that Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator. They have been documenting this over on bobistheoilguy.com for awhile now. So he is not just making things up. Whether or not the FL820S has been found to have any issues, I don't know. The pictures I have seen personally were of filters where the media is crimped together and the 820's are glued.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:45 PM
Tigauto
Junior User
Db tanker I don't get oil changes at ford, have been a licence tech and ASE master tech for 27 years. So I think I have a little understand of what I am talking about.

Ford do not make oil filters, there is no ford oil filter plant.
Have you ever cut open a purolator filter, have a look inside.

I have seen with my own eyes the filter collapsed in side the casing. This truck I am talking about is mine, I purchased It and knew there was engine problems. No sludge at all clean as a whistle when taken apart. So the problem was not maintenance, the problem was the tensioner pissing oil. This was the cause of all the engine damage to the upper end. The fact that I posted about the oil filter was to help inform people in the forum. Engine damage can be caused by a cheep oil filter as well. The only oil filter that would ever touch my engine would be WIXS. Go on YouTube and check out the Toyota that was at 2 other shops for engine noise. The tech that final fixed the problem was sharp, headed for oil filter. Installed WIX filter noise was gone! He cut open the old filter that was just changed at a different shop. The filter cartridge was collapsed!

Old 07-28-2014, 07:33 PM
db_tanker
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Db tanker I don't get oil changes at ford, have been a licence tech and ASE master tech for 27 years. So I think I have a little understand of what I am talking about.

Ford do not make oil filters, there is no ford oil filter plant.
Have you ever cut open a purolator filter, have a look inside.

I have seen with my own eyes the filter collapsed in side the casing. This truck I am talking about is mine, I purchased It and knew there was engine problems. No sludge at all clean as a whistle when taken apart. So the problem was not maintenance, the problem was the tensioner pissing oil. This was the cause of all the engine damage to the upper end. The fact that I posted about the oil filter was to help inform people in the forum. Engine damage can be caused by a cheep oil filter as well. The only oil filter that would ever touch my engine would be WIXS. Go on YouTube and check out the Toyota that was at 2 other shops for engine noise. The tech that final fixed the problem was sharp, headed for oil filter. Installed WIX filter noise was gone! He cut open the old filter that was just changed at a different shop. The filter cartridge was collapsed!

okay bro...that's you...and this is the internet....where everyone can be anything. You could be a 27 year vet from some shop and you could be a 27 year old with some kind of weird ax to grind about something or just someone wanting to stir up an ants nest. I stated my opinion and my experience, such that it is, with motorcraft filters. do I know that they are made by a third party (cb_13), yes I do. does it bother me that there are some QC issues with a manufacturing process that generates a rather large number of filters in a single day? somewhat...but I do play the lottery like many others. do I trust wix filters more than any other brand? matter of fact I DO. my fuel filters (I change them myself except for the Escape since it is a service free type for some ungodly reason) are all wix. do I think some of you folks are taking this a bit too far as far as the rant goes? yeah...I do.

oh...and just to let you know...I have seen wix filters fail from time to time as well. seen them on a few 3412 and D379 Cat's running triplex mud pumps being used on a few drilling jobs we ran. so just to be sure...no filter is 100% flawless 100% all the time.

and just in case, apologies to anyone who might get bent out of shape from something written by someone on the bloody internet that they don't know and probably will never meet. I was merely trying to show what my personal experience was and not trying to cast you in a poor light.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:00 PM
Tigauto
Junior User
I don't think my post was to stir up an ants nest, and I am not some kind of weirdo. I was just posting a point in regards to what I have Learned over the years in the trade. I felt that this information would help some people in regards to maintenance and diagnosing problems with there trucks. I am sorry if my information affended you some how by pointing out a fact. But as you stated you use wix! There is a TSB in regards to filters coming apart blocking the VCT causing problems. So for that guy who thinks his cam phaser is gone and goes out and spends 600.00 bones on parts. Check to see if the VCT is blocked first, sorry for sharing information that could help someone!!!!

Old 07-28-2014, 08:07 PM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
If you both really did your research you would run a Fram Ultra instead of a Wix. For about $2 more you get a superior filter. Oh yeah, I went there! I still use a Motorcraft, so I guess I don't even follow my own advice.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:34 PM
Tigauto
Junior User
Fram uses cellulose paper wix uses fibreglass, fram uses tin relief spring.
Wix uses actual spring, guess I did my home work

Old 07-28-2014, 08:50 PM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
Fram uses cellulose paper wix uses fibreglass, fram uses tin relief spring.
Wix uses actual spring, guess I did my home work
You're comparing to a Fram extra guard. I'm talking about the Fram Ultra. It uses synthetic media backed with wire. The Fram extra guard would be more on par with the wix Affinity or Napa silver branded filters.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:56 PM
Tigauto
Junior User
The point is don't use cheep oil filters, the real post was on the 5.4. I would like to thank you and tanker for the debate. I hope some people on the forum got something out of this.
Both of you have a good night and best wishes.

Quick Reply: What was ford thinking of