Home Brewed 70 Short Bed Build - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Home Brewed 70 Short Bed Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2014, 08:18 PM
Posting Guru

Randle has much to be proud ofRandle has much to be proud ofRandle has much to be proud ofRandle has much to be proud ofRandle has much to be proud ofRandle has much to be proud ofRandle has much to be proud ofRandle has much to be proud ofRandle has much to be proud ofRandle has much to be proud of
Home Brewed 70 Short Bed Build

After a few people ask if I had a build thread I decided to do one. I'm not the best at writing so bear with me.
To give you a little history I drove my first bump, a 67 back in the late 60's and 70's. That was the truck I always wished I had kelp. About 15 years ago I bought a 70 and used it as a farm truck for awhile, and started gathering parts thinking one day I would restore the truck. Anyway probably a year are so ago I started building my bump. Enough for now I know all you guys like to see pictures, so I will try to give you a quick run though on my build up to now.

The first thing I worked on was the bed. The best I had was a long bed, so I shortened it welded all the seams, and smoothed the inside.

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm thinking about filling the side marker light before paint.

Next was the tailgate I smoothed outside and reversed the handle then built the roll pan.

I think I will probably smooth the inside of the tailgate before I paint it.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:45 PM
Posting Guru

6t6merc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.6t6merc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Very impressive! Please keep the pics coming.
Eric
Old 07-26-2014, 09:02 PM
Posting Guru

Randle has much to be proud ofRandle has much to be proud ofRandle has much to be proud ofRandle has much to be proud ofRandle has much to be proud ofRandle has much to be proud ofRandle has much to be proud ofRandle has much to be proud ofRandle has much to be proud ofRandle has much to be proud of
The next thing I worked on was the cab.
I striped it, smoothed the dash, welded and smoothed the seams, filled all the unneeded holes in the firewall.

Click the image to open in full size.[/URL]

Sorry for the date on the pictures, looks like it needs setting, lol.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:20 PM
Posting Guru

flyboy2610 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I don't see any holes for the heater hoses or heater core mounting. Are you going without a heater?
1969 F250 Camper Special
<a href=http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g80/flyboy2610/John/Truck%20pics/Topper%20pics/Sideshot.jpg target=_blank>http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g8...s/Sideshot.jpg</a>
Old 07-26-2014, 09:20 PM
Posting Guru

Next up was the motor. After having a couple trucks that set in the garage I wanted this truck to be one I could drive and enjoy. I just sold a 76 with a 460 and I didn't like that 8-9 MPG, and I have always liked the 300 so out came the 390 and and I built a 300. It's a 90 model with 75 manifolds, carb and duraspark. It will be backed up with a AOD transmission and 325 Gears.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:29 PM
Posting Guru

6t6merc Thanks for the comments
flyboy I'm planning on using Classic Auto Air's “Perfect Fit" system and all their lines go in behind the inter fender.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:40 AM
Senior User

dwil is starting off with a positive reputation.
Very nice.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:23 AM
Post Fiend

orich has a very good reputation on FTE.orich has a very good reputation on FTE.orich has a very good reputation on FTE.
I hope you don't put it back together using any LMC rubber products as they are made with the cheapest rubber and crack from the ozone after a few yrs.

My 2cents as they got my money a few times. But now having to replace all cab rubber mounting cushions, window & door rubber seals, cab gas tank filler donut seal.

And lastly the metal thin crappy cab mounts as pictured below.
I had to remove these cheap ones & install the better ones DC sells for much more but they our more like the oem cab mounts..
Orich
THE MOUNTS
THE RUBBER CUSHIONS ABOUT 6 YRS. ON THEM
Old 07-27-2014, 09:27 AM
Postmaster

gangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud ofgangstakr has much to be proud of
You definitely need to smooth out the inside of the tail gate. It takes away all your nice work up to this point.
Good job other than that, keep the pictures coming.
64 lowered longbed
Robert
Old 07-27-2014, 10:41 AM
Posting Guru

blue04.5 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.blue04.5 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks for the thread. Good looking truck. Nice details and clean shop.
Quick Fuel carb
T5 transmission, Crown Vic swap
All custom fit.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:52 PM
Posting Guru

flyboy2610 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randle View Post
6t6merc Thanks for the comments
flyboy I'm planning on using Classic Auto Air's “Perfect Fit" system and all their lines go in behind the inter fender.
Understood. I'm familiar with that system. I though about it as well. AC isn't on the priority/money list right now though. Definitely do a write up about it when you install it, though!
1969 F250 Camper Special
<a href=http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g80/flyboy2610/John/Truck%20pics/Topper%20pics/Sideshot.jpg target=_blank>http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g8...s/Sideshot.jpg</a>
Old 07-27-2014, 10:20 PM
Posting Guru

Thanks for all the good works, it does mean a lot.
I will be glad to write up the air as I put it in. Looking at their instructions it looks like it is pretty straight forward to install.
Anyway here is a few more pictures of my progress. I striped the frame and put a coat of epoxy primer on then painted it black.

I didn't get pictures of some of the steps.

I will try to post a little more tomorrow night.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:17 AM
Postmaster

MIKES 68 F100 has a good reputation on FTE.MIKES 68 F100 has a good reputation on FTE.MIKES 68 F100 has a good reputation on FTE.
looking good !
I think shaving the drip rails on the cab would add to your build nicely .
Edelbrock performer intake /Holley 750
22 Gallon mustang gas tank Mod
Yukon Dura grip with 3.55 gears
Old 07-28-2014, 09:34 AM
Senior User

NFLD FLARESIDE is starting off with a positive reputation.
looking good!!

2004 F-150 XL scab shortbed 4.6 2wd - 112K
Old 07-28-2014, 08:12 PM
Posting Guru

Thanks for the comments.
I will try to catch up to were I am on the build. I now have the cab setting on the frame. These pictures was taken when I loaded the truck on the trailer to bring it home to store it in the garage while I help paint a friends Bronco. I have sense finished the sound deadening, but it's on hold till the Bronco is finished, hopefully not to much longer.