1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Home Brewed 70 Short Bed Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 10:30 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
2X on the congratulations for 2nd place... Nice job on your ride.. Where did you get the FORD hood liner?? I have been way behind the curve on that one. And would love to copy your idea.

Baja

Old 05-01-2016, 12:44 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomahawk
Congrats Randle! Good to hear the weather cleared up for you. LOL @ headlamp buckets.
Thanks Gavin, it turned out to be a nice night out.
Originally Posted by GaryKip
Good job. Your truck is so clean!
Thanks Gary
Originally Posted by GIGGER
Very well done Randle, thats great

looks like the rat truck guy made his own trophy too, not good

the 'mini Nomad' is cute, I see what he did
Thanks Gerry, I thought I raided my scrap pile a lot till I seen his rat rod. I would love to know more about the 56, I know it was shortened, but did you catch the 4 lug wheels. I never caught the owner at the car and he never raised his hood so I don't know anything about the motor or power train, but with 4 lug it has to be different.
Originally Posted by bajafishnut
2X on the congratulations for 2nd place... Nice job on your ride.. Where did you get the FORD hood liner?? I have been way behind the curve on that one. And would love to copy your idea.

Baja
Thanks Baja, I thought second out of 200 cars was pretty good, even better then the trophy was the O'Reilly's gift card that went with it.
I ordered the cover from Quiet Ride. I thinking I will do about the same thing out of alumium on the Mustang. Here is a link the Quiet Rides covers.
PDF.js viewer

Old 05-01-2016, 11:00 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I also got mine from Quiet Ride but did not want the FORD logo as that's where my light gets mounted. I did mine with out removing the hood. After, I figured out how to install while it was still on the truck.

My way of doing it.I had to grind or sharpen points on the dowel hold the vinyl in place to get the screws started.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:27 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Thanks again amigos, going to quiet ride now

Old 05-02-2016, 09:49 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Russ this is what the under side looks like, it comes with 1/2" pre cut insulation pads.
But, I was first going to use some stuff called KEEP COOL it's a 1/4" foam type sheet by Prorod glued that first then glued the Q.R over the Keep Cool padding an tapped sides over.

I ended up doing 3 layers total of insulation. I copied Q rides padding an taped it over Q rides then 3rd was covering the whole thing. And lastly the 3/32th black vinyl cover.

Thanks again amigos, going to quiet ride now

Old 05-02-2016, 10:33 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
I'm guessing that with your efforts, & triple coverage, you've made your ride a symphony of mellow tunes. I've done the Dynamat, and filled in the void spaces between the X framing already. I know that with the Dynamat in my doors, and the little I've done under the hood, I've knocked down the "Drum" effect by over half. Like in most things, "Diminishing Returns" increase with added layers. ie, The first layer does the most, less with the 2nd. and less again with the 3rd. Kind of wish I had a decibel meter, other than my old ears. Just for science you know, so I can feel justified when my wallet cries. "Now, now there wallet, it will only hurt for a little while"... After all, don't you want to be quiet like a Mercedes when you grow up?

Baja

Old 05-02-2016, 04:57 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
I'm guessing that with your efforts, & triple coverage, you've made your ride a symphony of mellow tunes. I've done the Dynamat, and filled in the void spaces between the X framing already. I know that with the Dynamat in my doors, and the little I've done under the hood, I've knocked down the "Drum" effect by over half. Like in most things, "Diminishing Returns" increase with added layers. ie, The first layer does the most, less with the 2nd. and less again with the 3rd. Kind of wish I had a decibel meter, other than my old ears. Just for science you know, so I can feel justified when my wallet cries. "Now, now there wallet, it will only hurt for a little while"... After all, don't you want to be quiet like a Mercedes when you grow up?

Baja
I didn't put as much under the hood as Orich did, but I put what came with the cover, but everywhere that is covered inside including the firewall under the pad has a layer of sound deadening and two layers in the doors. You can hear just a little of the exhaust inside and a little of the air hitting the mirrors. Maybe not as quiet as the Mercedes, but pretty darn quiet for a Red Neck Ford.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:21 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
This is what I have now... and have ordered the "Full Monte", for the hood.. you can see I need more, and some on the firewall.. That will be a chore to install, so will try it in strips, and tape the seams..

Last edited by bajafishnut; 05-02-2016 at 05:24 PM. Reason: more dialog..
Old 05-02-2016, 05:32 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
This is what I have now... and have ordered the "Full Monte", for the hood.. you can see I need more, and some on the firewall.. That will be a chore to install, so will try it in strips, and tape the seams..
Everything you did is bound to help. Orich can tell you better then I can what covering the hood does. I did mine before I had driven it, so I know what it is now, but couldn't tell you how much difference just doing that would make.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:48 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
This already made some difference, and that last piece is on now. I can tell you it makes the hood heavier.. or I need more oil on my hinges.. then again, its no doubt that at 71, I am not the Hulk any more.. I'd like to think that its weak springs, not weal arms, but I'd be kidding myself.

Baja

Old 05-02-2016, 06:31 PM
orich
Lead Driver
This already made some difference, and that last piece is on now. I can tell you it makes the hood heavier.. or I need more oil on my hinges.. then again, its no doubt that at 71, I am not the Hulk any more.. I'd like to think that its weak springs, not weal arms, but I'd be kidding myself.

Baja
Yeah I notice a little added weight lifting my hood. I try to shoot wd-40 at about every oil change check the all the fluid levels.

No need to go to the GYM just drive old manual steering & lift the hood a few times a week keeps me in shape.
Orich

Old 05-02-2016, 07:24 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Now, that there is funny... I don't care who your are...

Baja

Old 05-02-2016, 08:59 PM
greasy rider
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am going to do that hood insulation thing. Thanx for the pics.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:00 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Now, that there is funny... I don't care who your are...

Baja
2x Baja, That is a good one.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:39 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Well at least they won't be able to lock on the engine with the heat seeking missiles on those trucks.

Quick Reply: Home Brewed 70 Short Bed Build