1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Help removing door glass

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 02:34 PM
Jacnat
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help removing door glass

I need help removing the door glass on my 50 F1. The shop manual says it comes out the door access panel. I'm not seeing how the glass can be lowered free of the channel guides. What am I missing? Thanks

Old 07-26-2014, 03:38 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Remove the two clips holding the rollers in the glass lower channel. Raise the lift mechanism and the glass will come out the access panel. If I remember right, the glass is lowered into the bottom of the door and then comes out, top edge first.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:54 PM
Jacnat
Freshman User
Originally Posted by raytasch
Remove the two clips holding the rollers in the glass lower channel. Raise the lift mechanism and the glass will come out the access panel. If I remember right, the glass is lowered into the bottom of the door and then comes out, top edge first.
Clips have been removed already and the regulator mechanism is raised and out of the way. The problem is the glass will not drop into the bottom of the door. The channel guides keep the door from lowering.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:55 PM
Marauder2004
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
With the window still attached to the clips, try cranking the regulator until the cotter pins are at the top of the access opening, then remove the cotter pins and have a friend lift and hold the glass up in the door channel from the outside, then crank the regulator up all the way. Reach in and lower the glass to the bottom of the door. I think that's how it went for mine. The trick is raising and/or lowering the regulator linkages to get it out of the way after the glass channel is detached from the regulator arms.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
On my driver's side, the guide closest to the door jamb had a thin sheet metal tab that could have easily kept my glass from falling down into the door if I hadn't noticed it and bent it out of the way. Curiously, the passenger side (and neither side had been touched....probably ever) didn't have it. Check and see if there is a tab at the bottom of those guides that's keeping it from sliding down and out.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:59 PM
Jacnat
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Doc
On my driver's side, the guide closest to the door jamb had a thin sheet metal tab that could have easily kept my glass from falling down into the door if I hadn't noticed it and bent it out of the way. Curiously, the passenger side (and neither side had been touched....probably ever) didn't have it. Check and see if there is a tab at the bottom of those guides that's keeping it from sliding down and out.
This is the drivers side I am working on. I don't find any clip holding the window in the guide. The window is hitting the door and that seems to be what's keeping it from dropping to the bottom. This pic shows where the glass is hitting the door. I'm wondering if my guides are bent or something.

You can see from this pic that the glass has dropped below the bottom of the guides and is being held up at the spot where it's hitting the inside of the door.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:33 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Jacnat
This is the drivers side I am working on. I don't find any clip holding the window in the guide. The window is hitting the door and that seems to be what's keeping it from dropping to the bottom. This pic shows where the glass is hitting the door. I'm wondering if my guides are bent or something.

You can see from this pic that the glass has dropped below the bottom of the guides and is being held up at the spot where it's hitting the inside of the door.
You need to loosen your division bar. Two bolts at the bottom. One screw at the very top. Then you can scoot it over and get the glass out.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:36 PM
Jacnat
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Doc
You need to loosen your division bar. Two bolts at the bottom. One screw at the very top. Then you can scoot it over and get the glass out.
Excellent. Just the advice I was needing. Thanks.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:53 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Excellent. Just the advice I was needing. Thanks.
You may need to pull down the first little part of the window seal on top to give the division bar enough room the slide over. It has small screws holding it in place. It will flex quite a bit, but be careful not to damage it or permanently bend it.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:52 PM
Jacnat
Freshman User
Doc, any recommendations for a good source for new glass? Thanks.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:57 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Doc, any recommendations for a good source for new glass? Thanks.
I ordered all of my new felts, anti-rattle kits, division bars, seals and glass from LMC Truck. They are one of the few suppliers who still stock the glass. The shipping was reasonable, and they pack it unbelievably well. They wrap it in big bubble shrink wrap, then they put it in a box and spray foam all around it inside the box. You can go to their website and shop until your wallet empties itself.

Did you get the glass out of the door?

Old 07-27-2014, 06:17 PM
Jacnat
Freshman User
Thanks Doc. Yes, glass is out. It was the top screw on the divider. I removed that one screw, the divider slid over just a bit and the glass literally dropped free. Now I need to order new glass. Probably go ahead with all new delta, seals, etc at the same time.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:29 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
I spent just over $600 total on all new glass, seals, felts, channels, division bars, and anti-rattle kits in two separate purchases from LMC earlier this summer. It makes a world of difference, but, make no mistake, it's a big job that takes some time. You'll "love" the legendary clips that hold the anti-rattle felts in place. If you're gonna replace glass, you might as well put new felts and seals in it. That's like Cinderella wearing flip-flops to the ball.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:38 PM
Marauder2004
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
fWiW, I had one intact ( but cracked) door glass so I took it to a local glass shop and had replacements cut for less than $100 for the pair. Looks like you might also have an intact glass to use for a template.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:51 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Marauder2004
fWiW, I had one intact ( but cracked) door glass so I took it to a local glass shop and had replacements cut for less than $100 for the pair. Looks like you might also have an intact glass to use for a template.
For comparison, those same two windows are $79.90 on sale at LMC right now. So, when you factor in shipping, it's about the same. And you can rest assured the glass will fit. When you factor in the time, gasoline, having to take the old glass with you for a pattern (and quite often it will be broken), and the other unknowns, it's much easier to order it in my opinion. I forgot to mention, I tried to get my windshield cut locally. The guy charged me $150, and it didn't fit well at all.

Quick Reply: Help removing door glass