1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Stacks or back exhaust?

Old 07-22-2014, 08:56 PM
Ranch Rig
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stacks or back exhaust?

Hello everyone,

I've got a friend who runs dual stacks in his 94 F-250. We had a discussion regarding exhaust systems. He favors the stacks, saying it cools EGT by allowing a shorter distance for exhaust to travel. Although I'm not entirely fond of stacks, anyone have any ideas as to whether stacks make a difference? I know the diameter has a lot to do with it, but I'm scratching my head. Is there a performance increase with stacks versus normal back piping?

Old 07-22-2014, 09:03 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Stacks make ZERO difference in EGTs. After all there is only a 3" outlet at the back of the turbo, THAT is the limiting factor

Anything more than a 4" single exult is for looks and sound. It make ZERO performance gains

Old 07-22-2014, 09:48 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
X2^^^^^^^^
I went from stock exhaust to 3" dp 4"exhaust which made a difference. Then went to 3"dp with 5" from the dp with 5" stacks and the only change was sound.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:49 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Dual exit pipes on any vehicle that, by definition, has single exhaust looks.... compensating. A SINGLE stack, done tastefully, can look right, but the real questions you gotta ask yourself are whether you want a hole in your bed, and whether you want the outlet that close to the cab and its occupants.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:10 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Come on guys you can't tell me this doesn't look totally rad lol
http://www.craigslist.org/about/best...493372708.html

Old 07-22-2014, 10:17 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
This has to help with EGT's

Old 07-22-2014, 10:27 PM
Ranch Rig
New User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Stacks make ZERO difference in EGTs. After all there is only a 3" outlet at the back of the turbo, THAT is the limiting factor

Anything more than a 4" single exult is for looks and sound. It make ZERO performance gains
Alrighty, good information to know. Since I'm not a fan of stacks, it's nice to know I can use my 4" back piping without sacrificing some "magical stack performance booster".
Originally Posted by madpogue
Dual exit pipes on any vehicle that, by definition, has single exhaust looks.... compensating. A SINGLE stack, done tastefully, can look right, but the real questions you gotta ask yourself are whether you want a hole in your bed, and whether you want the outlet that close to the cab and its occupants.
Well, I'm okay with exhaust being that close to my occupants, however I don't like the fact that I'd have to remove a small amount of space in my bed for a stack. I use my truck for hauling heavy supplies, and I figure I'll use the space under the cab and bed that was given to me...
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
Come on guys you can't tell me this doesn't look totally rad lol
best of craigslist: 1998 honda accord 3.0 v-tech dually
That thing looks down right weird AF. I know stacks are common, but CB whips and the whole dually thing? Nah.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:27 AM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranch Rig
Well, I'm okay with exhaust being that close to my occupants, however I don't like the fact that I'd have to remove a small amount of space in my bed for a stack. I use my truck for hauling heavy supplies, and I figure I'll use the space under the cab and bed that was given to me...
That's always been why I won't go to stacks. The bed is too useful, especially on a 3/4 or 1 ton, to waste that space.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:59 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
For the love of all that's right in this world, please, no stacks. My 2 cents...

Old 07-23-2014, 12:05 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BBslider001
For the love of all that's right in this world, please, no stacks. My 2 cents...
...unless you do a hood stack! Otherwise, I totally agree.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:19 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Dude at our local farmers market has a stack setup I like. F-SD C&C with a frame set for a 9-foot bed (the C&Cs have those longer frames), put an 8-foot pickup bed on it, and has a tool box and a stack in the space in between. (Personally, I'd put a fuel tank in there if it were me, but....) Actually a pretty clean looking setup.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:03 PM
BoKnowsDiesel
Former Vendor
It has to be the right stacks on the right truck for it to not look tacky. Very fine line between "That's a sharp truck" and "Man, that guy is trying too hard"

Old 07-23-2014, 01:11 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BoKnowsDiesel
It has to be the right stacks on the right truck for it to not look tacky. Very fine line between "That's a sharp truck" and "Man, that guy is trying too hard"
All the really matters is if the person that is putting them on his truck likes them.
I had em on my 97 and they will be going on the dually and cN care less what anyone else thinks.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:05 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
the only ones ive ever liked were ones that the stacks were the main uprights of a head ache rack

Old 07-23-2014, 09:37 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Stacks provide no performance gains over "normal" exhaust routing, IMHO. Stacks serve a purpose and I have no problems with the folks that run them. I keep a camper shell on my truck bed 99.99% of the time, so stacks are not an option for me.

If you're going to add stacks, do it because you want them. They won't add any performance value to your setup. On a side note, my local truck club has sponsored some "Dyno Day" events. The dynamometer shop personnel are NOT fans of trucks with stacks because they usually aren't setup to run a "stacked" truck on the chassis dyno. The shop is smoked out before the dyno run ends.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stacks or back exhaust?