1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Truck Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 01:02 PM
shortwide
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe it's a regional thing, but here in Texas, I wouldn't pay 4K for something like that.

And by "like that", I mean incomplete trim, questionable body (just because he says the rust is minimal, doesn't mean it's true), lots of modifications, etc.

The caveat to all that would be this: If you really like all the mods he's done to it and you give it a REALLY REALLY good inspection and the mods are done first class and the 289 sounds really good and tight (and so is the transmission), and then if you take a magnet and go over the whole truck and get on your back and get under that sucker and look for rust in all the typical spots and confirm that the rust is minimal. Then maybe, just maybe (around here) on a good day the seller could get $3k or slightly higher.

But $4K. No.

For what it's worth...in the CL ad, he's asking $3500. That means that he'd take $3K in green benjamins that you were waving around.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:07 PM
PapaMatt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well what would you pay? I guess that is what I am trying to understand, everyone says overpriced, which most things on Craigslist are but at what price would you take it? Everything has a price where it now makes sense. And I agree I would not pay $4k either, even though ad says $3500 firm he told me this morning it is not, so room there. But how much room makes it viable? Body panels have been replaced, which might be why there is no rot. You can see that fender is turquoise underneath, cab was red, he told me hood was white.

I'da pay $1500 happily as I haven't seen any running truck in half-decent shape for less than that. And I'd pay up to $3k if folks thought it was worth around that, but I don't want to make that jump without understanding.

Thanks again

Oh and while anyone is looking, two other trucks on my radar both ending later today on eBay although the black on is 2 hours from me in Charlotte.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231291606974

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121396924175

Both are about the same price, guy in Maryland told me would take $5k and Charlotte one is similar as reserve is $5300. Neither are flaresides but figured I could look around for one to swap eventually. Hate the color on the Maryland one though...so would paint after a new bed.

Thoughts welcome, I am really just trying to see what you guys see in the good apples v. the bad. EBay makes me uncomfortable in that it is sight unseen but I do like the fact you can see that there is a market for that truck in that price range right now.

Last edited by PapaMatt; 08-04-2014 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Added two other trucks
Old 08-04-2014, 01:37 PM
shortwide
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PapaMatt
Well what would you pay? I guess that is what I am trying to understand, everyone says overpriced, which most things on Craigslist are but at what price would you take it? Everything has a price where it now makes sense. And I agree I would not pay $4k either, even though ad says $3500 firm he told me this morning it is not, so room there. But how much room makes it viable? Body panels have been replaced, which might be why there is no rot. You can see that fender is turquoise underneath, cab was red, he told me hood was white.

I'da pay $1500 happily as I haven't seen any running truck in half-decent shape for less than that. And I'd pay up to $3k if folks thought it was worth around that, but I don't want to make that jump without understanding.
What I'd pay is really irrelevant...it's what you'd pay that matters. If you paid $20K for it and just adored it and never planned to sell it, then that's what it's worth to you.

As far as the general market goes, if everything is solid mechanically and structurally, then $2500 is probably ok, $3K isn't out of the question.

Worse case scenario is that you buy it for $3K and loose a few hundred selling it. Over the years, I've made money on nearly all my old cars, but a few times...yep...after the dust settles, I've lost a few hundred. But what the heck...I enjoyed them for a while, got some smiles out of them and it happens to everyone who plays with this old iron. Anyone who says they've scored big time on every old car they've ever had is a BSer.

From what I've gathered buying, selling and looking at a lot of slicks, the flaresides aren't as valuable as the short box stylesides, so that plays into it.

I personally wouldn't pay $3k for that truck because I tend to buy vehicles in original paint that haven't been modified and my preference is stylesides. But if I were buying something to flip and make some money on, I'd have to be below $3k.

But you may be a flare side guy. If so, throw down your $3k and enjoy. You'll get it back out of the truck if you sell it, especially if you spend some time and TLC on it and improve it.

One last thing. Just as sure as the sun will shine, someone will come on here and say that they can get trucks like that all day for $500. That's just garbage. Maybe 25 to 30 years ago....but not now.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:00 PM
PapaMatt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks shortwide, I appreciate the advice. And you're right, it is my money and what I'd pay, I'm not trying to nickel and dime just want to know I am in the ballpark and sounds like I am at least close with that one.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:40 AM
svolpone
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you like it, and you have the money, then buy it. so what if it's worth $2500 or whatever. be prepared to keep putting money into it, though. it IS almost 50 years old. You don't buy these trucks to make money. You buy them because you love them.