Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-25-2014, 07:40 PM
Senior User

choate is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
45k miles, stick w dino oil or switch to Mobil 1

I'm considering using some Mobil 1 at my next (first for me) oil change just b/c I've always used it in all my cars but what are the thoughts on a 21 year old truck? Just stick to regular oil? Truck doesn't leak anything....For now anyway
351w - E4OD - tow package
31x10.50 Cooper Discoverer AT3
Moog 844 springs
Old 07-25-2014, 07:45 PM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
Keep withy the dino oil unless you want to start chasing oil leaks and have more expensive oil changes
Old 07-25-2014, 10:47 PM
Post Fiend

cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.
Should be fine. I have never had oil leaks from switching to synthetic. I have switched every vehicle I have owned in the last 10 years,the least mileage was 80,000 miles,never had a leak.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:19 AM
Elder User

krooser is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I switched to Mobil 1 on my E-350 @ 105,000 miles. Sold it 18 months later with 385,000 miles and all was well.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:32 AM
Senior User

jasoncarpenter1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I hear Amsoil is the best...........
Old 07-26-2014, 12:50 AM
Elder User

krooser is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncarpenter1 View Post
I hear Amsoil is the best...........
I was an Amsoil dealer in the 70's great product then and now.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:45 AM
Posting Guru

blkF250HD is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.blkF250HD is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krooser View Post
I was an Amsoil dealer in the 70's great product then and now.

He's referring to another thread in this section that got locked due to relentless spamming by another member here claiming that Amsoil will cure cancer, save the rainforests, and eliminate burnt toast.

OP- these trucks were designed with conventional in mind, run whatever you like (selecting a name brand is a good idea) and just ensure the level is correct at all times.
'09 WRX premium
'04 Polaris 500 Classic
Old 07-26-2014, 08:07 AM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjben View Post
Should be fine. I have never had oil leaks from switching to synthetic. I have switched every vehicle I have owned in the last 10 years,the least mileage was 80,000 miles,never had a leak.

It has been proven that Synthetic will leak where dino does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooser View Post
I switched to Mobil 1 on my E-350 @ 105,000 miles. Sold it 18 months later with 385,000 miles and all was well.
Did the van not shut off in those 18 months? Hell, i don't know of over the road trucks that put 15,000 miles on a MONTH or 518 miles a DAY for a year and a half straight
Old 07-26-2014, 08:57 AM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
i use regular oil.
i also will not use synthetic in a vehicle that was not designed for it.
my 02 went in for a trans fluid change. i specifically told them regular trans fluid. they put synthetic in it.
i refused to pay for the synthetic, because i told them not to use it.
3 days later i was back with trans low fluid .
and 3 days later again. and 3 days later again. after 4 times filling the trans up, they drained the synthetic out and replaced it with regular mercon.
that was 24,000 miles ago, and i have only put 3 quarts in it, all within the first 500 miles.
and give the shirt off his back to a friend.
Steve Price was that kind of person.
Godspeed "window licker", the short bus will never be the same with you gone.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:13 AM
Post Fiend

FORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud of
i run the mobil 1 5w 40 diesel oil in my trucks.it's good oil.i change every 9k miles using their extra large filters.
iv never experienced oil leaks due to the type of oil iv used.iv had plenty of oil leaks over the years in various cars/trucks but iv never blamed it on the dino oil lol.if you've got a oil leak,then replace the gasket/seal so it doesn't leak anymore with any type of lube is what id recommend.
♠ Log Truck: '93 F-Super Duty (F450) XLT 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 5:13, Dually, 16' Dump & Auto Crane ♠
♠ Chip Truck: '93 F250HD XLT 4x4 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 3.55, Dually, 9' Dump, & Plow ♠

Old 07-26-2014, 04:01 PM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
i am not blaming the leak on dino oil, i am blaming it on synthetic.
i have seen it way to many times.
put synthetic in the engine or trans, and it leaks out of everyplace.
switch back to regular oil, and no more leaks.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:08 PM
Posting Guru

BruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to behold
Synthetic will tend to leak more, but so what, it's still worth the other benefits. IDK about your trucks but mine doesn't leak oil, it has an advanced undercarriage coating system.
“If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ―Samuel Adams
Old 07-26-2014, 04:15 PM
Posting Guru

timbersteel is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.timbersteel is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
LOL!! "An advanced undercarriage coating system!!""

No rust here either!
"These ideas, evaluations, opinions are representations of real-life scenarios and backed by Murphy's Law..."
"Inferior parts lead to immediate failure sooner than later..."
Old 07-26-2014, 04:31 PM
i ain't rite

advanced undercarriage protection system does not work when a customer comes into the shop complaining about an oil leak though.
first thing i always asked was "did you switch to synthetic oil?" was most often followed by yup.
and after switching back to regular dino oil the leaks went away.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:36 PM
Posting Guru

BruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to behold
FWIW I roll synthetic in a very high mile 460 that when I bought it blew out about a qt of dino every 10 miles on the hwy on my way home after purchase. I modified the PCV system, bodda bing bodda boom no oil leaks at all with synthetic.
“If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ―Samuel Adams
Old 07-26-2014, 04:36 PM