6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Letting truck sit?

Old 07-25-2014, 08:35 AM
yfz 450
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Letting truck sit?

I was wondering does anyone let there truck sit for maybe a few weeks with out driving or starting? Are there any ill effects to this such as condensation in the fuel or anything. I just got my truck and it's not a daily driver but during the nice months I will be driving it more than in the winter. I live in n.y. And in the winter they salt the roads like crazy and it eats up cars and trucks around here bad. I don't want to drive this truck much in the winter to try and preserve it.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:53 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Similar situation here in Minnesota. And since this truck will span two zip-codes and have wide hips to boot, it will not get much love in the form of indoor storage..

My concern is about the DEF freezing and the shelf life of it.. I typically keep my tanks full to reduce condensation, but may want to use a fuel stabilizer of sorts.. Anti-gell?

Old 07-25-2014, 09:18 AM
Wizness
Senior User
I have a 2012 and only have 6300 miles on it so far. It's used to tow the boat or when I need the bed. Sits in the driveway and looks pretty for the most part. No issues yet except a DEF heater that had to be replaced last week but I don't believe it's due to sitting. I know a lot of guys recommend keeping your tank full when it sits to avoid as much condensation as possible. Also use the diesel additive and the gel stuff or whatever its called when it's cold. Don't need to worry about that in TX.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:22 AM
MPD56
Elder User
I live in northern Canada we do it all the time and the rule around here is to make sure you have a full tank of fuel so that there is less chance of condensation (Comes from humid air).

Also we try and use a block heater for a couple of hours before you start it. This gets the engine up to operating temperature faster and heats the fuel up.

Also note that Ford sugguest that you don't leave the DEF tank full because the DEF freezes and might expand and crack the upper fittings on the tank or fill hose.

FYI:
I also find it interesting and haven't found the answer yet, but the Ford anti-gel additive freezes and it states on the label not to let it freeze. I stored four bottles in my garage and it clouded, separated and gelled up (Then I read the label)?? If I don't find the answer by this winter, I will be sure using something else.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:22 AM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,757 Posts
Freezing doesn't reduce the life of the DEF, actually just the opposite, heat is the killer.

But, just leaving the truck sit for two or three weeks shouldn't be an issue, but it wouldn't hurt to start it every so often while it sits.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:05 AM
pacnorwest
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How do the batteries stay charged if the truck isn't driven enough to maintain a full charge?

Old 07-25-2014, 10:29 AM
mikethomas
Junior User
My truck sits in the garage for months at a time without moving or starting. So far I have had no problems. Although I am in a dry California climate. Every time I check the lower fuel filter for water there is none. I do try to keep the fuel tank full of fuel while it is parked. Haven't had any battery issues either.

Mike

Old 07-25-2014, 10:40 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by pacnorwest
How do the batteries stay charged if the truck isn't driven enough to maintain a full charge?
They don't. Batteries self-discharge over time, particularly in hot weather. This doesn't mean the truck won't start, but over time they will sulfate. Have often thought battery cases should be clear. The capacity and life of the battery is shot. This is why there is always a run on batteries in the fall, right after the first cold snap. Periodic charging or battery tenders work to prevent this.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 07-25-2014, 10:52 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by pacnorwest
Myself, I use a heavy duty battery maintainer and have not had any troubles with past trucks that have had to sit for long periods.

I am thinking, however, that I will start plugging the tail-pipe with something to keep the vermin out.. Little buggars can do the darnedest things inside your muffler...

Putting up on jack stands would be good also but the square tires typically go back to being round within a few miles..

Old 07-25-2014, 02:23 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,400 Likes on 997 Posts
Spray fluid film all over the undercarriage as well.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:05 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by senix
Spray fluid film all over the undercarriage as well.
Good point...

I had sprayed the undercarriage of one of my classic cars entirely with WD40 while at a friend's shop 3 years ago - just to try and do "something" that would help preserve the undercarriage until I had time to do more.. He laughed and told me I just wasted $5 worth of WD40 and that it would be evaporated by the end of the week.
Well, I just pulled that car out of storage on the fourth of July and put it on my own lift just two days ago. It's had maybe fifty miles put on it since sprayed.
I was surprised to find the whole undercarriage in great condition with a thin film of oily dust all over everything.. Seems the WD40 did not evaporate after all..

Fluid Film or WaxOyl would be the better approach must assuredly...

Old 07-25-2014, 04:13 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I wouldn't start it unless you intend to get things heated up for awhile.
Fill with fuel and the other suggestions and let it hibernate.
I guess my largest fear would be animals chewing on wires but I guess that could happen over a weekend, too.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:17 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
I don't deal with cold but this is my third Super Duty, 7.3 6.4 and 6.7. They all sit in my shop for months at a time. It's never been a problem. If you're worried about batteries I give the Battery Tender a good grade. When we have the truck on the road I have 3 other vehicles on battery tenders and they have never failed me. In fact here is some Detroit Iron with the tender installed. That's how I left it.

Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2014, 12:49 AM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
They don't. Batteries self-discharge over time, particularly in hot weather. This doesn't mean the truck won't start, but over time they will sulfate. Have often thought battery cases should be clear. The capacity and life of the battery is shot. This is why there is always a run on batteries in the fall, right after the first cold snap. Periodic charging or battery tenders work to prevent this.
Industrial batteries and cells have clear jars so you can see the plate condition and it's quite obvious at a glance if it's shedding badly... automotive batteries are built to be disposable basically. Most of them are made out of recycled lead plates these days, and you really pay a premium to get pure virgin lead batteries that are in BCI sizes for automotive applications. Whereas in switchgear, UPS, and telecom applications those are the norm.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:00 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Well, a clear case would maybe help spur folks to put it on a charger now and then?

It might make for an interesting engine bay, too - clear coils have been made, glass carburetor bowls, clear fuel hose would be helpful at times. See through radiator and hoses would indicate sludge and scale buildup. OK, way off track and better get more coffee. Hm.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup