Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

160cc Injectors

Old 07-25-2014, 03:04 AM
Boom48
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
160cc Injectors

I am about to put new injectors in my 2000 F350 160 cc Full force injectors to be exact. I keep hearing my current tuner Edge Evo Programmer 15000( link; Edge Products Evolution Programmer 15000 )
Isnt going to be enough????? thoughts???? I woulda thought it would of been fine????

Old 07-25-2014, 09:09 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Nothing on your truck is going to be enough.

Tuning: You need a modified tune for the single-shot AC160, these are radically different (in how they behave) from stock injectors.

Air: If you get to 100% fuel on these, you'll need a lot of air (in and out) to keep the Exhaust Gas Temperatures and soccermom-shocking soot subdued.

Transmission: It will take a hit if you have a propensity to push the permagrin pedal.

Fuel: Your truck is not a teenager in diesel years - it's more middle-aged. You need to make sure the fuel mods are done, and the pump is capable of delivering full fuel pressure at WOT.

High Pressure Oil Pump: While the AC160s go easier on the oil than the stockers do, it's still a good idea to do a checkup to see if this wasn't a possible root cause for shopping for injectors to begin with. The HPOP rarely has problems in these trucks - but failing sensors, false DTC codes, leaking injector O-rings, and hot tunes frequently make the HPOP look bad.

I'm not saying "Don't go Stage I sticks." I'm saying brace yourself (and your wallet) for what is likely to come next.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:58 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Boom48
I am about to put new injectors in my 2000 F350 160 cc Full force injectors to be exact. I keep hearing my current tuner Edge Evo Programmer 15000( link; Edge Products Evolution Programmer 15000 )
Isnt going to be enough????? thoughts???? I woulda thought it would of been fine????
It's a good thing you posted the question before moving ahead. Changing injector type is one of those modifications that has a domino effect on other systems in the vehicle. The calibration in your PCM is designed for split shot injectors so you may not be satisfied with how your truck runs with the 160 single shot units unless you have your calibration customized to match the new injectors.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:59 PM
Boom48
Junior User
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
It's a good thing you posted the question before moving ahead. Changing injector type is one of those modifications that has a domino effect on other systems in the vehicle. The calibration in your PCM is designed for split shot injectors so you may not be satisfied with how your truck runs with the 160 single shot units unless you have your calibration customized to match the new injectors.
They are on Order should have them soon..... just wasnt sure what else do expect.... already been told my programmer wont work and ill need custom tuning after. Was told i wouldnt need a lift pump or oil pump though so not sure where that came from.

Nothing on your truck is going to be enough.

Tuning: You need a modified tune for the single-shot AC160, these are radically different (in how they behave) from stock injectors.

Air: If you get to 100% fuel on these, you'll need a lot of air (in and out) to keep the Exhaust Gas Temperatures and soccermom-shocking soot subdued.

Transmission: It will take a hit if you have a propensity to push the permagrin pedal.

Fuel: Your truck is not a teenager in diesel years - it's more middle-aged. You need to make sure the fuel mods are done, and the pump is capable of delivering full fuel pressure at WOT.

High Pressure Oil Pump: While the AC160s go easier on the oil than the stockers do, it's still a good idea to do a checkup to see if this wasn't a possible root cause for shopping for injectors to begin with. The HPOP rarely has problems in these trucks - but failing sensors, false DTC codes, leaking injector O-rings, and hot tunes frequently make the HPOP look bad.

I'm not saying "Don't go Stage I sticks." I'm saying brace yourself (and your wallet) for what is likely to come next
Cool Thanks for making me feel like i made a huge mistake lol.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:55 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

They are on Order should have them soon..... just wasnt sure what else do expect.... already been told my programmer wont work and ill need custom tuning after. Was told i wouldnt need a lift pump or oil pump though so not sure where that came from.

Pick a tuner and have them write some calibrations for the 160cc injectors and go from there. You'll likely want to have EGT and Fuel Pressure gauges at a minimum. The EGT gauge will provide clues to how well your calibrations are running or if you have mechanical issues (such as exhaust leaks). The fuel gauge will let you know if your injectors are happily fed.

If your EDGE has the ability to read codes and see live data then it might still be useful, especially if it can see Injector Pulse Width and ICP/IPR values. That will help you determine if your HPOP is able to do what the calibrations are calling for.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:59 PM
Boom48
Junior User
Pick a tuner and have them write some calibrations for the 160cc injectors and go from there. You'll likely want to have EGT and Fuel Pressure gauges at a minimum. The EGT gauge will provide clues to how well your calibrations are running or if you have mechanical issues (such as exhaust leaks). The fuel gauge will let you know if your injectors are happily fed.

If your EDGE has the ability to read codes and see live data then it might still be useful, especially if it can see Injector Pulse Width and ICP/IPR values. That will help you determine if your HPOP is able to do what the calibrations are calling for.
I should kick the guys *** that told me i should be fine with these injectors without much modification ****......

Old 07-25-2014, 02:33 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

I should kick the guys *** that told me i should be fine with these injectors without much modification ****......
It's possible but you have to pick a good tuner that knows what he/she is doing. If I was going to run 160cc injectors with no other modifications then I would go with PHP and ask for Cody to write my calibrations. I have had great success with everything he has done for me so far to date. I am sure there are other good options as well but I don't have first hand knowledge of their work so I can't make any other recommendations. There should be others on here who can throw out some alternative names of tuners for you to choose from.

Good luck.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:34 PM
Boom48
Junior User
It's possible but you have to pick a good tuner that knows what he/she is doing. If I was going to run 160cc injectors with no other modifications then I would go with PHP and ask for Cody to write my calibrations. I have had great success with everything he has done for me so far to date. I am sure there are other good options as well but I don't have first hand knowledge of their work so I can't make any other recommendations. There should be others on here who can throw out some alternative names of tuners for you to choose from.

Good luck.
No offense but how the hell would i have Cody help me lol I cant take my truck to him lol.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:41 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

No offense but how the hell would i have Cody help me lol I cant take my truck to him lol.
What you do is order a product from any number of vendors out there that offer custom calibrations. Your choices are many....

In my example, I suggested PHP so you go to their website https://store.gopowerhungry.com/
and pick a product that has the features you desire for the price point in your budget. Fill out the form and in the special notes section you can make a request for Cody to write your tunes.

Then wait until you get the product shipped to you before installing your new injectors. You can go ahead and put your injectors in before using the new tunes but the truck may sound funny and operate weird at times. It probably wont' hurt anything unless you are working it real hard for extended durations.

I use their simple Phoenix Chip but I am not sure if it's available still. You will have to check their website and see what is available. New stuff is being added all the time so it may take a while to sort through all the info.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:15 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Stop me if i just went stoopid or something... (programming some of these parts has kinda provoked the onset of mushmind) but:

T444HO

Everything else on that configuration of the 7.3 was the same as the t444e but the injectors right?
This discussion started on the topic of 160cc single shots...
Not 180's.

Just throwing this out in case mountains are growing out of mole hills...

Old 07-25-2014, 04:24 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,970 Likes on 1,105 Posts
I would go with PHP and ask for Cody to write my calibrations.
Cody doesn't do 7.3L stuff anymore for anyone, unless you're one of the handful of local guys around here that is still waiting for the live tuning I owe you for your new PCM............

Originally Posted by Christof13T
Stop me if i just went stoopid or something... (programming some of these parts has kinda provoked the onset of mushmind) but:

T444HO

Everything else on that configuration of the 7.3 was the same as the t444e but the injectors right?
Everything that matters except the programming to run them that is flashed to the engine control module.

This discussion started on the topic of 160cc single shots...
Not 180's. Just throwing this out in case mountains are growing out of mole hills...
No difference in programming is really necessary as the two injectors you mentioned, as long as the nozzles are the same (stock/0%), will be no different tuning-wise.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:51 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by cleatus12r
Cody doesn't do 7.3L stuff anymore for anyone, unless you're one of the handful of local guys around here that is still waiting for the live tuning I owe you for your new PCM............
Bummer. Glad I already have my needs covered then. I guess the OP could still contact PHP and order the appropriate calibrations....correct? Would you recommend additional hardware changes at this point or could the OP install the sticks, change the calibrations and then see how things run?

Old 07-26-2014, 12:26 AM
Boom48
Junior User

Everything that matters except the programming to run them that is flashed to the engine control module.

No difference in programming is really necessary as the two injectors you mentioned, as long as the nozzles are the same (stock/0%), will be no different tuning-wise.
So i dont need additional programming of any kind? as long as i get the right ones?

Old 07-26-2014, 12:28 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,970 Likes on 1,105 Posts
I wasn't addressing your issue but what Christof13T said (hence his quote).

You will need proper tuning to run your new injectors properly.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:30 AM
Boom48
Junior User
I wasn't addressing your issue but what Christof13T said (hence his quote).

You will need proper tuning to run your new injectors properly.
Damn lol got my hopes up for a second.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 160cc Injectors