Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-25-2014, 04:04 AM
Boom48's Avatar
Boom48 Boom48 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Estacada,Oregon
Posts: 53
Boom48 is starting off with a positive reputation.
160cc Injectors

I am about to put new injectors in my 2000 F350 160 cc Full force injectors to be exact. I keep hearing my current tuner Edge Evo Programmer 15000( link; Edge Products Evolution Programmer 15000 )
Isnt going to be enough????? thoughts???? I woulda thought it would of been fine????
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-25-2014, 10:09 AM
Tugly's Avatar
Tugly Tugly is offline
I'm a cautionary tale
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Washington
Posts: 10,704
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Nothing on your truck is going to be enough.

Tuning: You need a modified tune for the single-shot AC160, these are radically different (in how they behave) from stock injectors.

Air: If you get to 100% fuel on these, you'll need a lot of air (in and out) to keep the Exhaust Gas Temperatures and soccermom-shocking soot subdued.

Transmission: It will take a hit if you have a propensity to push the permagrin pedal.

Fuel: Your truck is not a teenager in diesel years - it's more middle-aged. You need to make sure the fuel mods are done, and the pump is capable of delivering full fuel pressure at WOT.

High Pressure Oil Pump: While the AC160s go easier on the oil than the stockers do, it's still a good idea to do a checkup to see if this wasn't a possible root cause for shopping for injectors to begin with. The HPOP rarely has problems in these trucks - but failing sensors, false DTC codes, leaking injector O-rings, and hot tunes frequently make the HPOP look bad.

I'm not saying "Don't go Stage I sticks." I'm saying brace yourself (and your wallet) for what is likely to come next.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-25-2014, 12:58 PM
Shake-N-Bake's Avatar
Shake-N-Bake Shake-N-Bake is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Mesa AZ
Posts: 5,910
Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom48 View Post
I am about to put new injectors in my 2000 F350 160 cc Full force injectors to be exact. I keep hearing my current tuner Edge Evo Programmer 15000( link; Edge Products Evolution Programmer 15000 )
Isnt going to be enough????? thoughts???? I woulda thought it would of been fine????
It's a good thing you posted the question before moving ahead. Changing injector type is one of those modifications that has a domino effect on other systems in the vehicle. The calibration in your PCM is designed for split shot injectors so you may not be satisfied with how your truck runs with the 160 single shot units unless you have your calibration customized to match the new injectors.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-25-2014, 01:59 PM
Boom48's Avatar
Boom48 Boom48 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Estacada,Oregon
Posts: 53
Boom48 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake View Post
It's a good thing you posted the question before moving ahead. Changing injector type is one of those modifications that has a domino effect on other systems in the vehicle. The calibration in your PCM is designed for split shot injectors so you may not be satisfied with how your truck runs with the 160 single shot units unless you have your calibration customized to match the new injectors.
They are on Order should have them soon..... just wasnt sure what else do expect.... already been told my programmer wont work and ill need custom tuning after. Was told i wouldnt need a lift pump or oil pump though so not sure where that came from.

Quote:
Nothing on your truck is going to be enough.

Tuning: You need a modified tune for the single-shot AC160, these are radically different (in how they behave) from stock injectors.

Air: If you get to 100% fuel on these, you'll need a lot of air (in and out) to keep the Exhaust Gas Temperatures and soccermom-shocking soot subdued.

Transmission: It will take a hit if you have a propensity to push the permagrin pedal.

Fuel: Your truck is not a teenager in diesel years - it's more middle-aged. You need to make sure the fuel mods are done, and the pump is capable of delivering full fuel pressure at WOT.

High Pressure Oil Pump: While the AC160s go easier on the oil than the stockers do, it's still a good idea to do a checkup to see if this wasn't a possible root cause for shopping for injectors to begin with. The HPOP rarely has problems in these trucks - but failing sensors, false DTC codes, leaking injector O-rings, and hot tunes frequently make the HPOP look bad.

I'm not saying "Don't go Stage I sticks." I'm saying brace yourself (and your wallet) for what is likely to come next
Cool Thanks for making me feel like i made a huge mistake lol.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-25-2014, 02:55 PM
Shake-N-Bake's Avatar
Shake-N-Bake Shake-N-Bake is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Mesa AZ
Posts: 5,910
Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom48 View Post
They are on Order should have them soon..... just wasnt sure what else do expect.... already been told my programmer wont work and ill need custom tuning after. Was told i wouldnt need a lift pump or oil pump though so not sure where that came from.

.
Pick a tuner and have them write some calibrations for the 160cc injectors and go from there. You'll likely want to have EGT and Fuel Pressure gauges at a minimum. The EGT gauge will provide clues to how well your calibrations are running or if you have mechanical issues (such as exhaust leaks). The fuel gauge will let you know if your injectors are happily fed.

If your EDGE has the ability to read codes and see live data then it might still be useful, especially if it can see Injector Pulse Width and ICP/IPR values. That will help you determine if your HPOP is able to do what the calibrations are calling for.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-25-2014, 02:59 PM
Boom48's Avatar
Boom48 Boom48 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Estacada,Oregon
Posts: 53
Boom48 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake View Post
Pick a tuner and have them write some calibrations for the 160cc injectors and go from there. You'll likely want to have EGT and Fuel Pressure gauges at a minimum. The EGT gauge will provide clues to how well your calibrations are running or if you have mechanical issues (such as exhaust leaks). The fuel gauge will let you know if your injectors are happily fed.

If your EDGE has the ability to read codes and see live data then it might still be useful, especially if it can see Injector Pulse Width and ICP/IPR values. That will help you determine if your HPOP is able to do what the calibrations are calling for.
I should kick the guys *** that told me i should be fine with these injectors without much modification ****......
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-25-2014, 03:33 PM
Shake-N-Bake's Avatar
Shake-N-Bake Shake-N-Bake is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Mesa AZ
Posts: 5,910
Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom48 View Post
I should kick the guys *** that told me i should be fine with these injectors without much modification ****......
It's possible but you have to pick a good tuner that knows what he/she is doing. If I was going to run 160cc injectors with no other modifications then I would go with PHP and ask for Cody to write my calibrations. I have had great success with everything he has done for me so far to date. I am sure there are other good options as well but I don't have first hand knowledge of their work so I can't make any other recommendations. There should be others on here who can throw out some alternative names of tuners for you to choose from.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Boom48's Avatar
Boom48 Boom48 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Estacada,Oregon
Posts: 53
Boom48 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake View Post
It's possible but you have to pick a good tuner that knows what he/she is doing. If I was going to run 160cc injectors with no other modifications then I would go with PHP and ask for Cody to write my calibrations. I have had great success with everything he has done for me so far to date. I am sure there are other good options as well but I don't have first hand knowledge of their work so I can't make any other recommendations. There should be others on here who can throw out some alternative names of tuners for you to choose from.

Good luck.
No offense but how the hell would i have Cody help me lol I cant take my truck to him lol.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-25-2014, 03:41 PM
Shake-N-Bake's Avatar
Shake-N-Bake Shake-N-Bake is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Mesa AZ
Posts: 5,910
Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom48 View Post
No offense but how the hell would i have Cody help me lol I cant take my truck to him lol.
What you do is order a product from any number of vendors out there that offer custom calibrations. Your choices are many....

In my example, I suggested PHP so you go to their website https://store.gopowerhungry.com/
and pick a product that has the features you desire for the price point in your budget. Fill out the form and in the special notes section you can make a request for Cody to write your tunes.

Then wait until you get the product shipped to you before installing your new injectors. You can go ahead and put your injectors in before using the new tunes but the truck may sound funny and operate weird at times. It probably wont' hurt anything unless you are working it real hard for extended durations.

I use their simple Phoenix Chip but I am not sure if it's available still. You will have to check their website and see what is available. New stuff is being added all the time so it may take a while to sort through all the info.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-25-2014, 04:15 PM
Christof13T's Avatar
Christof13T Christof13T is offline
The Dr. will see you now!
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Victoria, Tx
Posts: 2,442
Christof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud of
christof13t
Stop me if i just went stoopid or something... (programming some of these parts has kinda provoked the onset of mushmind) but:

T444HO

Everything else on that configuration of the 7.3 was the same as the t444e but the injectors right?
This discussion started on the topic of 160cc single shots...
Not 180's.

Just throwing this out in case mountains are growing out of mole hills...
__________________
Chris-PAA#130
Motorbug:2000 F350 Lariat CC,LB,6x6 7.3DIT,4" Turbo-Back, IH Bellowed Uppies, RiffRaff FRx&AIH Delete, Hutch/Harpoon,6637, 05-07facelift, dual cowl induction hood, Glowshift Max Tow gauges, antique BullyDog 1 Toon chip, 10k, Air Lift on rear axle, All the hitches!
420k & counting AE Total Ford Enhanced Bundle
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-25-2014, 05:24 PM
cleatus12r's Avatar
cleatus12r cleatus12r is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Glass case of emotion.
Posts: 3,849
cleatus12r has a brilliant futurecleatus12r has a brilliant futurecleatus12r has a brilliant futurecleatus12r has a brilliant futurecleatus12r has a brilliant futurecleatus12r has a brilliant futurecleatus12r has a brilliant futurecleatus12r has a brilliant futurecleatus12r has a brilliant futurecleatus12r has a brilliant futurecleatus12r has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
I would go with PHP and ask for Cody to write my calibrations.
Cody doesn't do 7.3L stuff anymore for anyone, unless you're one of the handful of local guys around here that is still waiting for the live tuning I owe you for your new PCM............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christof13T
Stop me if i just went stoopid or something... (programming some of these parts has kinda provoked the onset of mushmind) but:

T444HO

Everything else on that configuration of the 7.3 was the same as the t444e but the injectors right?
Everything that matters except the programming to run them that is flashed to the engine control module.


Quote:
This discussion started on the topic of 160cc single shots...
Not 180's. Just throwing this out in case mountains are growing out of mole hills...
No difference in programming is really necessary as the two injectors you mentioned, as long as the nozzles are the same (stock/0%), will be no different tuning-wise.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-25-2014, 07:51 PM
Shake-N-Bake's Avatar
Shake-N-Bake Shake-N-Bake is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Mesa AZ
Posts: 5,910
Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Cody doesn't do 7.3L stuff anymore for anyone, unless you're one of the handful of local guys around here that is still waiting for the live tuning I owe you for your new PCM............
....
Bummer. Glad I already have my needs covered then. I guess the OP could still contact PHP and order the appropriate calibrations....correct? Would you recommend additional hardware changes at this point or could the OP install the sticks, change the calibrations and then see how things run?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-26-2014, 01:26 AM
Boom48's Avatar
Boom48 Boom48 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Estacada,Oregon
Posts: 53
Boom48 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Cody doesn't do 7.3L stuff anymore for anyone, unless you're one of the handful of local guys around here that is still waiting for the live tuning I owe you for your new PCM............

Everything that matters except the programming to run them that is flashed to the engine control module.


No difference in programming is really necessary as the two injectors you mentioned, as long as the nozzles are the same (stock/0%), will be no different tuning-wise.
So i dont need additional programming of any kind? as long as i get the right ones?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-26-2014, 01:28 AM
cleatus12r's Avatar
cleatus12r cleatus12r is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Glass case of emotion.
Posts: 3,849
cleatus12r has a brilliant futurecleatus12r has a brilliant futurecleatus12r has a brilliant futurecleatus12r has a brilliant futurecleatus12r has a brilliant futurecleatus12r has a brilliant futurecleatus12r has a brilliant futurecleatus12r has a brilliant futurecleatus12r has a brilliant futurecleatus12r has a brilliant futurecleatus12r has a brilliant future
I wasn't addressing your issue but what Christof13T said (hence his quote).

You will need proper tuning to run your new injectors properly.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-26-2014, 01:30 AM
Boom48's Avatar
Boom48 Boom48 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Estacada,Oregon
Posts: 53
Boom48 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
I wasn't addressing your issue but what Christof13T said (hence his quote).

You will need proper tuning to run your new injectors properly.
Damn lol got my hopes up for a second.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:30 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Injector Nozzle % Question Submarine Docker 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 28 01-28-2014 04:24 PM
injector swap easier starting arkredneck 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 0 02-05-2012 09:11 AM
Programmer Rat-ler 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 3 04-08-2011 08:22 AM
Injectors vs. Turbo Question cowmilker08 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 17 06-12-2010 02:53 AM
160 cc caseydudem 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 18 07-11-2007 09:18 AM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


Participate In The Forums

Create new posts and participate in discussions. It's free!

Sign Up »





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup