1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

4.9 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 08:47 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Something like the Eddy 1406?
One of many popular choices. Still kinda torn on going eddy or summits branded 600 for the 390....... The summit carb has a few things I really like.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:51 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
The Summit like Matthew/FE runs? Its the Autocraft?

Old 07-25-2014, 08:55 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Wikipedia says "Fuel injection and other changes in 1987 pushed output up to 145 hp (108 kW) with 8.8:1 compression." Sounds like that was an increased CR, but I don't see what it was previously.
The fuel injected head raised the compression ~ 0.5 points over the carbureted version. It also incorporated fast burn characteristics.

The tendency for "cracked heads" mentioned in another response was usually associated with having been over heated.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:02 AM
CountryBumkin
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KsCop
The combustion chamber in the head is heart shaped. From what I've read, that is an EFI head.

Since the engine had a carburetor on it when I got it, I'm thinking the PO did an engine swap at some point.

Unless I'm totally off on this.

I'm not sure how they did EFI in 92 but I'm guessing the intake had the same bolt pattern as the carb version, since the engine had a carb on it.

Wonder how well the engine with EFI head will work with a carb?
The heads you have can't be EFI if you have a carb on it, unless you have an adapter to (such as this AP-37 Intake Adapter Plate). The EFI heads are different regarding intake manifold mounting bolts/location and the ports are raised. The easiest way to tell what heads you have is by the casting number. What are your casting numbers?
\
EDIT: Sorry, after re-reading this (and in the title) I realized you are building a 4.9L. My head is stuck in 7.5L world. I don't know anything about 4.9L engine efi heads. Disregard my post.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:07 AM
KsCop
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin
The heads you have can't be EFI if you have a carb on it, unless you have an adapter to (such as this AP-37 Intake Adapter Plate). The EFI heads are different regarding intake manifold mounting bolts/location and the ports are raised. The easiest way to tell what heads you have is by the casting number. What are your casting numbers?
Good question; I can't seem to locate casting numbers. It was my understanding that the EFI heads had 16 intake bolt holes (instead of 13) and 'heart' shaped combustion chambers. My head is 16 bolt, heart shaped.

I'll take another look this afternoon

Old 07-25-2014, 09:38 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Good question; I can't seem to locate casting numbers. It was my understanding that the EFI heads had 16 intake bolt holes (instead of 13) and 'heart' shaped combustion chambers. My head is 16 bolt, heart shaped.

I'll take another look this afternoon
Tim - Go back and re-read CB's post. He edited it.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:37 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
Tim - Go back and re-read CB's post. He edited it.
Saw that. I'm certain I have EFI heads.

I've been seeing responses RE Carb / Intake options. I'm wondering now that if I go with an Offenhauser if I need some sort of heat plate?

I'm getting conflicting information. I also heard there is a place on the intake to use hot air / exhaust manifold heat? Do I need to connect something or, since it's tied into the exhaust manifold, will simple convection be enough?

Confused now..

Old 07-25-2014, 06:30 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
Update on the rebuild progress:

Got up this afternoon and got the crank and cam pulled. Down to the bare block now.
Taking Block, Head, Crank (w/gear) and Camshaft (w/gear & thrust plate still on it) to the Machine Shop on Monday. Once they do their thing, I'll know what I can re-use, what I need to get, etc.

Not really looking forward to the bill..

Camshaft had steel gears so that was a plus..

Old 07-26-2014, 06:23 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Saw that. I'm certain I have EFI heads.

I've been seeing responses RE Carb / Intake options. I'm wondering now that if I go with an Offenhauser if I need some sort of heat plate?

I'm getting conflicting information. I also heard there is a place on the intake to use hot air / exhaust manifold heat? Do I need to connect something or, since it's tied into the exhaust manifold, will simple convection be enough?

Confused now..
16 bolt holes on the intake/exhaust portion of the head, EFI head. The 13 that are used for a carb setup, are still in the same locations, just 3 more were added.

Heat plate is needed, if you plan to go with either EFI exhaust manifolds, or headers. If you plan to use the factory log style exhaust manifold, it has the heat system already in place.
EFI didn't use the same type of method for heating the intake, it had a heated throttle body. The carb setup has the intake/exhaust bolted together, with a heat transfer chamber built in.

EFI exhaust manifold give ~75% of the performance advantage of headers, without all the typical header "issues". But, you need to add some way to heat the intake. Some use a heated carb spacer, others make a heated plate to go on the bottom, where the exhaust manifold originally mounted.

Steel cam gear is a good sign that someone has been into the engine before. How deep is another question, but the machine shop should be able to provide some insight on that.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:27 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
The Summit like Matthew/FE runs? Its the Autocraft?
The Summit branded, Holley designed, carb. Yes, I believe that is what he is running.
Like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...00vs/overview/

Odd side note, the other mechanic at the shop, brought in one of the older Holley branded carbs of this style. Planning to rebuild it, and drop it on a 460 to replace an edelbrock......

Old 07-28-2014, 03:40 PM
Elemak
Freshman User
If you're looking for aftermarket manifold options, looks like Clifford Manufacturing is still around. Haven't used anything from them in about 15-20 years, but they used to make an awesome 4 bbl intake for the 300

Old 07-29-2014, 07:18 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
I got the block, head, crank and pistons w/rods to the machine shop today. Initial diagnosis is that the head and block are in good shape, as are the pistons. At this point, unless something changes, I'll be re-using the pistons. So just gaskets and seals, rings, new oil pump, rod and crank bearings and the new 260H cam (w/lifters and pushrods and new timing set)

Updating carb/intake thread with the latest info on that front..

Old 07-29-2014, 07:21 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Going to hone the cylinders to get the rings to seat?

Old 07-29-2014, 07:40 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
Going to hone the cylinders to get the rings to seat?
Yes. He's checking to see if it needs bored, but in any case we'll hone the cylinders. Also checking the deck for flatness and will deal with that as needed.

After all the issues with intakes / heating intakes / etc I'm really leaning towards staying stock except for the 260h cam.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:45 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
It is rare for a machine shop to say an engine doesn't need to be bored. They don't wear round and the only way to get them back round is to bore it. And that means new pistons.

Quick Reply: 4.9 Rebuild