Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2014, 11:16 AM
New User

dannyg1992 is starting off with a positive reputation.
danny_g_92
Cold air intakes

What are y'all opinions of cold air intakes? I've read some other post about it, just would like to hear more opinions! Thanks!
Old 07-24-2014, 11:43 AM
Post Fiend

Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.
Most seem to only be good at getting you money
out of YOUR pocket and into theres.

In the case of the 6.0 is also is good at dusting the turbo.
Also if you take into account that the stock unit pulls the air
from the front of the radiator core support then why spend the
money to pull the warmer air from under the hood?

Also with most they change the intake air tubing and
cause a lot of turbulence in the airflow. That then
upsets the airflow sensor and causes some fueling issues.

If your after the LOOK of something them maybe spend the $
on other things. Oil & dirt getting on theMass Airflow sensor just
cause problems.

Sean Click the image to open in full size.
6.0l Forum Map : Ask me About It
Old 07-24-2014, 01:27 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Depends on what engine and the operating conditions of the vehicle. If you have a NA gasser operating in non dusty environments and plan to have a custom tune to take advantage of the intake then go for it. I have been running an FIPKII with precharger along with custom tuning for years with no issues, no intake tube dusting and etc on my V10.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:34 PM
Elder User

speakerfritz is starting off with a positive reputation.
cold air intakes are good if you can get them to work....main issue is that the intake path can not get hot ...must be insulated...does not make sense to put a cold air intake in a hot engine compartment and expect that the air will still be cold...need non temp conductive materials and insulation sleeves....else...its a watse of money.

Hellwig 7677Rear Sway Bar; Hellwig 61904 Pro-Series Helper Spring with Silent Feature; 2 ofRancho Suspension/Monroe RS999046 Rear Rancho RS9000; 2 of Rancho RS999042RS9000XL Series Shock; Rancho RS98510 Steering Stabilizer Kit; Dee Zee DZ43203Tailgate Assist Shock
Old 07-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Posting Guru

David7.3 has a great reputation on FTE.David7.3 has a great reputation on FTE.David7.3 has a great reputation on FTE.David7.3 has a great reputation on FTE.
I noticed absolutely nothing after putting an AFE on. Washing and oiling filters already got old and I think I will put my stock intake on. Maybe add a highflo filter or something.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:57 PM
Elder User

msgtord has a great reputation on FTE.msgtord has a great reputation on FTE.msgtord has a great reputation on FTE.msgtord has a great reputation on FTE.msgtord has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1992 View Post
What are y'all opinions of cold air intakes? I've read some other post about it, just would like to hear more opinions! Thanks!
I have had several. Remember that the term "cold air intake", is just a marketing gimmick. Once your vehicle is moving, the intake air temperature is the same regardless of the type of intake. Some do not like the added noise of an aftermarket intake. The automotive industry spends a lot of money on r & d, to provide the best flowing intake allowed by the bean counters. Most of the aftermarket intakes get air from the same location as the stock intake.

I like the looks, and ability to clean the filter myself. I have always used a clean white towel to check the tube for oil and dust, and have yet to find any on the inside of the intake. It's all about proper oiling procedures, and installation. I'm thinking of a dry filter version for my next one, so I do not have to oil it.

So if you like the looks and don't mind cleaning the filter, go for it. And as mentioned already, a tuner working together with the intake is the best way to optimize any additional horsepower available.

Good luck.

USMC Retired

Neal
Old 07-24-2014, 06:01 PM
Senior User

T diesel is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
A gimmick.

Camper package.
Pullrite 18K lb Superslide, Line X sprayed bed.
Krown rust protected.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:18 PM
Senior User

ketel0ne is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgtord View Post
I have had several. Remember that the term "cold air intake", is just a marketing gimmick. Once your vehicle is moving, the intake air temperature is the same regardless of the type of intake. Some do not like the added noise of an aftermarket intake. The automotive industry spends a lot of money on r & d, to provide the best flowing intake allowed by the bean counters. Most of the aftermarket intakes get air from the same location as the stock intake.

I like the looks, and ability to clean the filter myself. I have always used a clean white towel to check the tube for oil and dust, and have yet to find any on the inside of the intake. It's all about proper oiling procedures, and installation. I'm thinking of a dry filter version for my next one, so I do not have to oil it.

So if you like the looks and don't mind cleaning the filter, go for it. And as mentioned already, a tuner working together with the intake is the best way to optimize any additional horsepower available.

Good luck.
I agree with both the oiling and the added noise. We bought wife's 5.4L 2003 used and it came with a K&N and it is the loudest 5.4 I have ever driven. I see no benefit either, just more noise.
Gone: 79 F-150, 07 Escape Hybrid, 10 F-150 FX4, 10 F-150 STX, 88 Ranger STX, 93 Explorer Sport
Old 07-24-2014, 08:18 PM
Post Fiend

EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
The V-10 already has a cai in the Ex, look under your hood!
Old 07-24-2014, 09:35 PM
Freshman User

JohnP3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
There is a test Google "ISO 5011 Duramax air filter test report" it will show you what a crock they are. Personally I always tell people to request there warranty printed out. and if it so good they would cover down stream damage.
I worked Heavy duty and on class eight engines dust in the smallest quantity, will destroy an engine.
Ford makes an intake and will cover damage if it is their fault!
Old 07-31-2014, 08:09 PM
Senior User

PaxtonShelby is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 2005 F250 FX4 5.4 3v has a cold air intake from the PO. It is a bit noisy and I'm not a fan of it. There is no indication of the brand. Does anyone have a photo of the factory airbox for my truck? I think I'd like to find a stock setup and put it back on.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:49 PM
Post Fiend

EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby View Post
My 2005 F250 FX4 5.4 3v has a cold air intake from the PO. It is a bit noisy and I'm not a fan of it. There is no indication of the brand. Does anyone have a photo of the factory airbox for my truck? I think I'd like to find a stock setup and put it back on.
Good idea.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:51 PM
Senior User

ketel0ne is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby View Post
I have been trying to do this for my wife's 03 and it seems that the setup was different between years. I have found some pieces on ebay, and will probably end up cobbling something together that is close.
Gone: 79 F-150, 07 Escape Hybrid, 10 F-150 FX4, 10 F-150 STX, 88 Ranger STX, 93 Explorer Sport
Old 07-31-2014, 10:06 PM
Posting Legend

Sparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputation
i put on on my 6.0... i wasnt looking for MPG.. but did have a 3mpg rise when i did it.. but i tribute that to the fact the stock one was mostly clogged up... the companys that claim increased fuel mpg are the ones seeing money.. i looked more at the CFM ratings compared to the stock... biggest thing to look out for is if you looking to do it on a turbo/SC engine.. go dry.. NA oil can help trap more of the dust.. biggest reason you dont want it on FAI is itll pull the oil from the filter and coat the blades of the unit.. any dust that does make it through will stick to it and cause premature wear and even some balance issues..

you will also get a little more engine noise coming out of the intake since its not silence.. all i can tell you is my experience with it.. thing to keep in mind.. every engine is different and behaves differently... when it comes to the 6.0's intake theyre pretty efficient but there is room for improvement on them..

if your sole want is more mpg.. just change the filter with a drop in.. youll get about the same result..
Shawn Official #11 Slackmaster!#1b WINTER ENTHUSIAST
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. "
-- Edgar Allan Poe
"I don't Fail... I succeed at finding what doesn't work!"
-- Christopher Titus
Old 07-31-2014, 10:34 PM
Post Fiend

Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.
Sparky83 I have to ask how you came up
with the milage numbers. Hand or truck computer?

Sean Click the image to open in full size.
6.0l Forum Map : Ask me About It
Old 07-31-2014, 10:34 PM