1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery dead...AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:20 AM
jawdoc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery dead...AGAIN

ok 2008 F250 V10 124K
battery is 6 months old and tested fine
alternator tested fine

every morning battery is dead

Anyone have a good technique to diagnose an electrical drain problem?

Old 07-24-2014, 09:27 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jawdoc
ok 2008 F250 V10 124K
battery is 6 months old and tested fine
alternator tested fine

every morning battery is dead

Anyone have a good technique to diagnose an electrical drain problem?
These can be frustrating...

Put a voltmeter on the battery and start pulling fuses one at a time until you see a fluctuation.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:45 AM
Tigauto
Junior User
To find a draw close doors and turn everything off, set your meter to amps. Put prob on one side of fuze and the other on the other side of fuze. Watch amperage if there is a draw amperage will be shown. Best to use a meter with 20 amp max. This will direct you to the fuze that is the circuit casing the draw. A word of warning don't open door or turn anything with meter hooked up. When fuze is located I use a head light old stile with two wire attached. Remove fuze and plug into fuze with spade connectors attached to wires from hight light. If head light lights start unplugging connectors on they circuit when light goes out you found the draw. Buy disconnecting batter and testing from battery and cable you can cause problems with components that may need re flash or relearn

Old 07-24-2014, 09:46 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Do you have any aftermarket accessories installed is the first question to ask - sound system?

You want to measure the current draw when everything is off. Should not exceed about 50 milliamps.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 07-24-2014, 10:18 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
You want to measure the current draw when everything is off. Should not exceed about 50 milliamps.
You also have to take into account any battery saver delay before making your measurement. On some Fords, the delay is 30-40 minutes before everything goes to sleep.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Tigauto
Junior User
Projectsh089 good point forgot to put that in my post.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:45 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Absolutely, it can take 30 minutes for various components to go into "sleep mode".

Another consideration is that without using a clamp-on meter, it is necessary to disconnect the battery which can cause other problems depending on the vehicle.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:52 AM
jawdoc
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Do you have any aftermarket accessories installed is the first question to ask - sound system?

I have a HitchCam and a cap with an interior light. Other than that its stock.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:55 AM
jawdoc
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tigauto
To find a draw close doors and turn everything off, set your meter to amps. Put prob on one side of fuze and the other on the other side of fuze. Watch amperage if there is a draw amperage will be shown. Best to use a meter with 20 amp max. This will direct you to the fuze that is the circuit casing the draw. A word of warning don't open door or turn anything with meter hooked up. When fuze is located I use a head light old stile with two wire attached. Remove fuze and plug into fuze with spade connectors attached to wires from hight light. If head light lights start unplugging connectors on they circuit when light goes out you found the draw. Buy disconnecting batter and testing from battery and cable you can cause problems with components that may need re flash or relearn
Thats a cool idea. I wonder if I can hook either ends to something that makes a sound, that way I can hear when Ive opened the cricuit

Old 07-24-2014, 01:37 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
you can buy a circut tester at harbor freight for 15 bucks that will let you test each fuse circut one at a time....so basically with each circut off you will know if something is drawing a load.

if you want a guess...pull the fuse on the air conditioner...sometimes the air conditioner clutch draws power even when off....enough to kill your battery over night.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:56 PM
DavidB
Elder User
Here is the best way to check for parasitic battery drain:

Old 07-24-2014, 06:41 PM
Tigauto
Junior User
Thanks Davidb that exactly what I was talking about!

Old 07-24-2014, 06:55 PM
Tigauto
Junior User
Thats a cool idea. I wonder if I can hook either ends to something that makes a sound, that way I can hear when Ive opened the cricuit
You don't have to when you hook a big head light to the circuit, you can see it a mile away. Light lite complete circuit, light out open circuit. You can also use this for shorted circuit, lot better then spending $ on fuzes when your trying to find a short that keeps blowing them. Remove the blown fuze, plug in the light. get the wiring diagram for the circuit. Start unplugging or look for wire shorted when light goes out you found it.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:47 AM
jawdoc
Senior User
ok I didnt find any voltage loss across any of the fuses.

But, I did find a severely corroded and crumbly ground strap. Could that drain a battery?

Old 07-26-2014, 10:59 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ok I didnt find any voltage loss across any of the fuses.

But, I did find a severely corroded and crumbly ground strap. Could that drain a battery?
It would cause a higher amperage draw while you were placing large demands on the battery such as when you engage the starter, but I can't think of any way that it would contribute to a drain on the system while the vehicle is parked.

Quick Reply: Battery dead...AGAIN