Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Low Idle & Dying

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2014, 04:28 PM
Post Fiend

JEFFFAFA has a great reputation on FTE.JEFFFAFA has a great reputation on FTE.JEFFFAFA has a great reputation on FTE.JEFFFAFA has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carchub View Post
When setting the timing, which end of the marks to you count 6 or 10 from? I'm only confused because it starts at ATC 0, goes to 10, 20, and then 30 BTC and then it says B2 after BTC.

Right now I'm going 10 marks after ATC. Is that correct for 10 BTDC?
ATC= After Top Center. You want 10 degrees BEFORE Top Dead Center. So mark the "10" BTDC. As far as the low idle goes, is it idling smooth but slow? Or choppy rough idle.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:26 PM
Senior User

carchub is starting off with a positive reputation.
It was kind of choppy. Tried at work, but couldn't get the dist. Cap to rotate. Ended up just cutting the zip tie that was holding the choke. Balanced my carb mixture and checked the timing. I put a mark on the zero line, and the gun said I was at 20 BTDC. My boss thinks the mark isn't right and that I should find true TDC and mark it if I want to set it.

Anyways, for now it runs fine and choke is functional (although it sticks and isn't smooth). My entire throttle sticks a tiiiny bit every once in a while, too. It also looked like I'm missing some sort of adjustment fixture/screw for the kick-down rod. I think it's the kick down anyways...comes right up from behind the block as if it goes to the trans. The whole connection is loose and sloppy at the carb
Old 07-24-2014, 10:44 PM
Postmaster

351Cleveland C4 has a good reputation on FTE.351Cleveland C4 has a good reputation on FTE.351Cleveland C4 has a good reputation on FTE.
The cap won't rotate, the whole distributor body will rotate in the block.
Gas is Great, but Diesel kicks Gas!
Old 07-24-2014, 11:11 PM
Senior User

Oh! I'm sorry, I totally meant that whole thing but I didn't word it right. Yes I unbolted it and we both tried rotating the entire deal but no budge. Does it lift up a little and then rotate?
Old 07-24-2014, 11:17 PM
Postmaster

351Cleveland C4 has a good reputation on FTE.351Cleveland C4 has a good reputation on FTE.351Cleveland C4 has a good reputation on FTE.
No, but it's probably just stuck. Soak some PB Blaster around it and grab hold of it with a big channel lock style pliers. That should get ya.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:05 AM
Senior User

Rasputin53 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Two reasons for sticky action in a carb:
1. Carbon build up on the shafts, most common and fixable by rebuilding.
2. Worn shafts. This usually occurs because a carb got sticky due to carbon and someone fixed that with a really strong return spring. This loads the shaft in a way that the bore or bushing starts grinding into the shaft making a step.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:25 AM
Postmaster

orich is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.orich is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Stuck dizzy is not a good sign!

A Lot of guys think it's from where it seats into the intake manifold where there's a rubber seal so it won't leak oil.

The real cause is from a miss alignment of the intake manifold mainly.
The dizzy is suppose to be installed into place for using as a alignment tool of the intake manifold so that this dizzy problem does not happen.

Plus poor maintenance can add to it, with the wrong type of engine oil being used. This can cause a build up of sludge in the lower part of the block where the dizzy seats into a bored out area that holes the lower dizzy housing where the cam & dizzy gear meet.

Some times the dizzy housing can crack as it's being man handled the wrong way so be careful.

To loosen dizzy it's best too Twisting back & fourth at the base , to remove dizzy twisting back & fourth all while pulling upwards.
But the oil pump drive rod could come out with the dizzy or drop into the pan.=screwed into another can of worms..

orich
1971 F250 4wd Nv4500-5spd O/D 416cid owned since 1978. Toured Vietnam 1968-70 15 months 512th Trans Co. Driver of the Iron Butterfly Gun http://ironbutterflyguntruck.com/cat...egorized/truck http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H7U71KZEJw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lemll...r_embedded#t=0 & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=119sc1w8J2Y#t=2
Old 07-25-2014, 03:26 PM
Senior User

Thanks for the heads up orich, I'll be careful
Old 07-25-2014, 10:14 PM
Senior User

Okay I'm finally off work. So you think one possibility is that the intake manifold gasket may have been replaced and the manifold itself wasn't put on correctly? Making it difficult to rotate the distributor. Hm, I don't know for sure obviously but I'm thinking the gasket hasn't been replaced. Valve cover gaskets seemed to be factory cork when I did them, so I bet the intake hasn't been touched.

Not trying to refute you at all, just seeing if I can eliminate certain things. Could the manifold have shifted over time?

I'm thinking it's part of the distributor stuck on the block. I'm servicing an '87 f250 at work and that little O ring at the top of the shaft was realllllly brittle. I'll do some tinkering when I have time and come back with results. Thanks for you help and input, I really appreciate it
Old 07-26-2014, 12:01 AM
Postmaster

Soak it with penetrating oil for a day or two. That should do most of the work for you.

My dizzy was stuck on my Cleveland engine. And it just goes DIRECTLY into the block.

I bet it's just corroded itself in after many years of not being touched.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:48 PM
Senior User

Yep, definitely gotta sell 'er. It's sad I know, trust me I feel it, but it's the smartest thing to do for my life right now.

I bought a used radiator, had to braze the bracket back on which melted the original solder and created a leak. Put the old one back in and it leaks even worse. On top of that my passenger rear tire decide to nudge the velve stem out and start leaking air, good thing I had a spare (poet and I didn't know it). Anyways yeah, too many things are going wrong and I need a reliable rig. Once I'm done moving this weekend she's going on the market. I'm really sad. But life goes on. Maybe another day
Old 07-28-2014, 10:56 PM
Postmaster

Maybe post an ad here on the forum. Maybe a fellow FTE brother will buy her from you. Then you know she'd be in good care.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:31 AM
Senior User

Ozarktraveler is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4 View Post
Maybe post an ad here on the forum. Maybe a fellow FTE brother will buy her from you. Then you know she'd be in good care.
2X sorry you have to let her go... here's hoping you find another when the timing is right.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:50 AM
Senior User

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it
Old 07-29-2014, 08:50 AM