Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-23-2014, 10:52 PM
Senior User

MackGuy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Is there a way to tell DMF or SMF without removing trans?

I'm in the process of buying a 1996 PSD 5-speed, and I've heard a lot about this dual mass flywheel. Current owner has not had the truck long and doesn't seem to know much about it. Is there a way to check if the flywheel was changed other than removing the trans and clutch?

Can the flywheel be changed without removing the engine?

Does the clutch have to be replaced with the flywheel (the last owner put a new clutch in it)

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2014, 01:13 AM
lost

Chris56ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You can remove the 3 bolts on the flywheel cover and you can see the flywheel and clutch. If it is the dual mass it will be thicker. The ring gear and clutch surface of the flywheel will move separate of each other a little.

The dual mass flywheel has a spring system to absord shock. The springs are in between the clutch face and the ring gear portion.

Don't have to remove the engine to do the flywheel.

If going to a single mass flywheel, yes the clutch would need to be changed. The clutch on the SMF is bigger than the stock one.
-1997 F-350 XLT 4x4,7.3 PSD,ZF5,227,000 miles,6637 intake,SD 7.3 Intercooler,F5 DP-Tuner chip,3" DP,4" Diamond Eye exhaust,EBPV delete,IH bellowed up-pipes,Beans D66 turbo,Southbend SMF/clutch kit,Autometer gauges,6.0 fan.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:46 AM
Senior User

Thanks so much for the good info. Is there a way to tell by inspection if a DMF is "going bad" or do the tend to be fine until they explode?

A shame you have to do clutch and flywheel together, since the truck has a relatively new clutch, the ~$300 for the flywheel wouldn't be too bad, but $1k for clutch+flywheel is quite a hit. Maybe I'll be lucky and it's already got a SMF in it.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:59 AM
Post Fiend

DIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to all
The sound is the best way to tell is a DMF is on nits way out. Generally when they're starting to get loose they will exhibit a distinctive "clack, clack, clack" sound when you shut off the engine. What it is, is that the back half (Flywheel portion) of the DMF is getting sloppy and bouncing back and forth against the dampener springs when the engine stops abruptly. If you're hearing that, then now would be a good time to get it taken care of before it comes apart and wrecks the trans.

If the truck is more or less stock, you don't need to spend that much on a SMF conversion. A very nice LUK setup (which I highly recommend for a stock truck) will only run you about $275 on Rockauto. And it includes a new SMF, the disk, the throwout bearing, pilot bearing, pressure plate, and all the hardware. A great deal on a good clutch and as long as you're at or near stock power levels it will work really well.

More Information for LUK 07226

1997 F-350 7.3 PSD, 4x4, CCLB SRW, 3.55's, ZF5
If it isn't under warranty, I'll fix it myself.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:03 AM
Posting Guru

farmert is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.farmert is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If you can rotate the DM flywheel back and forth more than 5/8 of an inch rather easily, it is on it's way out. Also it will have a vibrating rattle on shut down of the engine. It has a bearing in the center of the flywheel that can go bad, and it will give you a terrible vibrating shake from the tranny while driving. If that is the case, the tranny isn't long for this world, as it will crack the bell housing on the tranny. The conversion kit should be had for less than 1k for the kit. IIRC they run around 675 depending on the kit.
1997 F350 SRW Reg cab powerstroke 4.10, zf5spd 4X4, 3inch downpipe, 6637 mod, intercooler
1996 F350 Crewcab dually 4.10, E4OD, 3" downpipe, 6637 filter
1996 F350 C&C Dually reg cab 4X4 flatbed Zf5 4.10, 3" downpipe, 6637 filter
Old 07-24-2014, 09:41 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic View Post
The sound is the best way to tell is a DMF is on nits way out. Generally when they're starting to get loose they will exhibit a distinctive "clack, clack, clack" sound when you shut off the engine. What it is, is that the back half (Flywheel portion) of the DMF is getting sloppy and bouncing back and forth against the dampener springs when the engine stops abruptly. If you're hearing that, then now would be a good time to get it taken care of before it comes apart and wrecks the trans.

If the truck is more or less stock, you don't need to spend that much on a SMF conversion. A very nice LUK setup (which I highly recommend for a stock truck) will only run you about $275 on Rockauto. And it includes a new SMF, the disk, the throwout bearing, pilot bearing, pressure plate, and all the hardware. A great deal on a good clutch and as long as you're at or near stock power levels it will work really well.

More Information for LUK 07226
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmert View Post
If you can rotate the DM flywheel back and forth more than 5/8 of an inch rather easily, it is on it's way out. Also it will have a vibrating rattle on shut down of the engine. It has a bearing in the center of the flywheel that can go bad, and it will give you a terrible vibrating shake from the tranny while driving. If that is the case, the tranny isn't long for this world, as it will crack the bell housing on the tranny. The conversion kit should be had for less than 1k for the kit. IIRC they run around 675 depending on the kit.
Thanks for the link on that LUK... seems like a good way to go. Truck I'm looking at has an aftermarket exhaust but I don't think any crazy mods, and for the time being my trailer is probably <5klb so it wouldn't get worked too hard anyway.

Did not notice any unusual clatter at shutdown, and no vibration up to at least 45mph, so hopefully it's either SMF or not an immediate problem, but I will try to inspect once I can get it in my shop.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:24 PM
Post Fiend

helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.
LUK clutches can handle big loads. they might not be the best for sled pulling or drag racing but if driven nice they can handle the load. I am over 100,000 on mine and it tows all the time. my signature pic to over 30,000 lbs. I am leaving tomorrow night to get that same load and than another next week. over 400 miles and a lot of 6 to 7% grades.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:24 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel