Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Bronco > 1978 - 1996 Big Bronco
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1978 - 1996 Big Bronco SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-23-2014, 03:44 PM
New User

Danny Weimer is starting off with a positive reputation.
1990 302 back fire need help

I have a 1990 bronco full size with a 302 efi we have rebuilt the engine over a year ago. i am have a problem with back firing through the intake. This happens after being on the road for about 10 miles an running fine. the truck runs fine then loses power an when i give it gas the motor back fires. I have run Koer test an made all the repairs to that which was a egr switch an a broke line. I have have tested the fuel pressure when i turn the key on i get 23 psi i start the motor i get 35 i reve the motor it jumps to 40. the exhaust is only about 6 months old an the fuel was just topped off i am lost an ideas i live in the Dover Delaware an work in federalsburg Md if you would like to c or help me
Old 07-23-2014, 05:52 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
Cough up through the carb typically indicates timing chain jumped a tooth.......cam/crank out of time.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:03 PM
New User

Update i checked the timing an i was 20 degrees BTDC. i have reset it at 10 BTDC an going to c how it does on the way home. I tested in the shop parking lot seams a lot better but it wasnt warm. new chain u think it could b worn out in about 9000 miles to jump?
Old 07-23-2014, 09:13 PM
Postmaster

g_k50 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Fuel pump pressure is low, replace fuel pump body.
There's a valve in the body that fails and fuel pressure drops due to the check valve being displaced.

Ford has the correct fuel pump body, fuel level sender is reused.
I had to do some soldering because the new fuel pump has updated connections at the point where the wiring connects to the fuel pump body.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:19 PM
New User

Ok made it home went about 20 miles before it started acting up again changed mas air flow an that didn't fix it either. gK50 the fuel pump on this bronco is in the tank I agree I was thinking the pressure was a little low also I just now how much not fun they are to drop. But I am running out of ideas . The air in let is good spark is good an timing that just leaves fuel
Old 07-23-2014, 09:20 PM
New User

Is there a fuel pump that is better than a other the one in there is about 6 years old 3 of them it may of been sitting
Old 07-24-2014, 10:11 AM
Post Fiend

Kemicalburns has a very good reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a very good reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a very good reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a very good reputation on FTE.
mass flow sensor??? that year bronco wouldn't be mass air so what sensor did you replace?

agree that fuel pressure is low, buy the complete fuel pump assembly from ford. best bang for your buck.

when you set the timing did you pull the spout connector?
Edelbrock efi intake JBA shorty,CustomY pipe/exhaust
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/...il.php?id=4158
Old 07-24-2014, 10:49 PM
New User

The sensor on the. Passenger side right under the the whipper vise may be a map sensor either way it was a vacuum sensor an didn't fix it. So u also agree fuel pump weak
Old 07-25-2014, 04:40 PM
New User

well did some more driving in the truck an as soon as the motor back fires an wont run again i put the trans in nuetral an the engine reves right up no problem an then back in gear an backfires more.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:53 PM
Post Fiend

Kemicalburns has a very good reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a very good reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a very good reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a very good reputation on FTE.
have you done a tune up yet? cap/rotor probably need replaced. also when you set the timing you must pull the spout connector, if you didn't do this the timing will never set correctly.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:50 AM
New User

yes tune up had been done. an yes the spout was removed
Old 07-28-2014, 09:53 AM
Post Fiend

perhaps the plug wires are not in the correct order on the distributor cap.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:44 PM
New User

Ok up date a shop suggested to change the ignition module so I in stalled an rest set the timing an installed a fuel pressure gauge fuel psi stay around 35 An the engine still runs bad at any thing above a idle while driving to night I drive it about 3 miles before it started it stuff an I pulled over an in the dark I can c the cast iron hoarders glowing red. I check the cap an there was a lot of dentition so it cleaned the cap an rotor
Old 08-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Post Fiend

replace the cap/rotor. if the headers are glowing you have a problem with either a clogged cat converter or your timing is really really off. was the distributor pulled at some point?

get the motor to TDC and pop the dizzy cap off and see where the rotor is pointing. it should be close to #1 on the dizzy cap. it may also be possible that if the dizzy had been pulled that it was put back in 180* off.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:57 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Bronco > 1978 - 1996 Big Bronco