6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Help me figure out why 2005 6.0l Won't Shift,turbo,exhaust, vibrating badly and has no power?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 01:54 PM
$F$O$R$D$
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me figure out why 2005 6.0l Won't Shift,turbo,exhaust, vibrating badly and has no power?

Hi all,
I have a 2005 F350 6.0l crew cab long bed 4x4 marinate with the wood inside.
Leather power ev, heated and custom mod a/c seats, 12" custom lift. I built it by hand myself. Bought all parts separately from depo, ace, 4x parts, online, and ebay. I have the SCT, studs, Redtopson both sides and one in the bed under the bed mounted tool box. 35x12.50xr20 Nittos on Flat Black Rockstars. The tires are way too small but is just finished the lift a couple weeks ago.
I wrecked the truck into a gas pump deflector pole Christmas night.
Two months later I decided to fix it. Reason was the 17 thousand my Step father and I put into the truck motor all ready. It would have been a lot cheaper but it was just the way 6.0's go. One thing at a time but one thing every week!
So basically everything but the body which I'm starting on now. ( I paint and airbrush so I'll be doing some old school mixed with new, lace with pearl and some flake but with the pearl white, Matt pearl black and some candy silvers with a touch of fire engine red.
Everything is done except gauges, head rings just because I didn't do them when I did studs and my real father, the hunting mechanic machinist custom home builder did it on all of his hi torque corsairs and sand rails.
He had me stripping motors at 14 on a sheet of plywood on the side of the house.
Any how besides for paint and I have new 37x13.50xr20 dune grapplers I don't need much.
So now you know about the ride, and since I'm new I'm not gonna say sorry for the long post. I'm sure if I didn't I'd get a grip of dudes saying how can I help u I don't know sh$! About your truck, so now to the crappy part.
3 days ago I start it and 5 seconds later it started to vibrate hard, sounds like the air intake is in a speaker box tuned to 50hz, will not shift into passing gear, tries to shift or does shift into 2 at 15,3rd at 25,4th at 35 and 5th at 45/50. When I gas it it's like a gaser and floods. But on a deisel the turbo floods with to much presure not gas. And the gate opens up.
From park the rpm's are at 775 per my SCT. Normally the turbo isn't so spooled up. It's like it at 1000 rpm's. If I gas it too hard it will not downshift. It goes like crap in that one gear until the turbo has had enough and spills the boost all over while the truck jerks front to back as I roll 45 mph down the road looking like a moron that can't shift a standard in an automatic, stupid ha!
It also sounds like I'm missing a cylinder and that lub lub lub I'm hearing is an empty cylinder that's just dead.
I ran several tests. Used 3 different computers types multiple times.
Only the first time was a few codes showing on my SCT tunner. I've reprogrammed back to stock then back into a can tune. No dice!
Back into stock and drove it, was like a go cart. Put it back on and did the KAM relearn and it went away for an hour. How do u like them apples. I'm freaking out, it's all good, now I'm freaking out again.
They should call them 6.Oh my God, Not Again instead of Powerstroke!
Here are the 4 codes but again they arnt coming up anymore. But of course my truck is still jacked.
So I can't tell what to do?
P0113
P0282
P0603
P1102
I know what they are and if you don't you prob shouldn't be responding to this.
when I popped my hood I did notice my Mass was unplugged from when I moved the air box over to clean all the damn oil from the new Presure sender I just put in. I do have an EGR delete, new oil cooler, radiator, hpop, fuel and oil filters w/new oil. I havnt but will tonight check my exhaust back presure valve on the left exhaust man. Will clean it out. Havnt checked Ficm or ipr icp???
Please help if at all any of this makes sense?
Now I'll say I'm sorry for taking so long
It's hard to find a prob in some of these trucks in person. Trying to see what's wrong with a guys 4 states over is almost impossible unless you know the facts.

Thank you for having me and I look forward to rappin with all of y0u.
Than you in advance for advise and opinions.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:51 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 983 Posts
Do you have a Scan Gauge on the truck? First, now that you've re-connected the mass-air it's time to see what voltages you have for the FICM. If you don't know what/how to do it, it's up in the Tech Folder. When you have the voltages, report back with them. Key on, engine off, during start and after the glo-plugs shut off.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:20 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Start diag with p0282. Seems pretty simple to me

Old 06-27-2014, 04:43 PM
$F$O$R$D$
Freshman User
I do have a scangauge ll on my truck but I'm not sure how everyone is getting Ficm voltage readings from it. I didn't know it could do that feature. I'm on my way to my other house now to check it out. I was going to pop the top and hook up my multimeter to it to check but when I was l

Old 06-27-2014, 04:45 PM
$F$O$R$D$
Freshman User
Sorry, a darn spider was crawling up my leg inside my pants a made me jump.
Any how... When I was looking on YouTube, I saw others on their 6.0s looking at their scangauge and reading the FICM voltage. I'll look online and in the tech folder.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:57 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,469 Likes on 1,711 Posts
In addition to resolving injector #8 as cheezit suggests, just for grins, pull up the MAF pid and IAT1 pid on your scanner and watch them very closely while you wiggle the harness right where it goes into the connector up and down and side to side. If you see any fluctuation in it while wiggling it, then you would definitely want to replace that connector with a new pigtail. also, post up what your vreference voltage is. You also (low probability) might have a bad MAF sensor (shorting out on the vref wire).

Old 06-27-2014, 07:38 PM
$F$O$R$D$
Freshman User
Just checked FVP 12 and 12.5
FLP 12 and 12.5
FMP is 48.5 and it goes down a little here and there for a second but never drops below 46.5
So I'm moving on to my injectors I suppose the problem lies there. I'll check the harness first.
I did the Ficm test both cold and hot.
The numbers stayed the same.

This crap about wives making their men sell their trucks ain't no bull!
I'm only a young buck so instead I have a mother, she's trying to make me sell it! She doesn't get my attachment to this truck after all the effort I put into it I feel married to IT!
Oh well hopefully I can get this fixed before she grounds me! Just kidding

Old 06-27-2014, 08:02 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Check ficm at 2k rpm.
Ohm out injector coils.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:52 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check the injector plug for #8 (drivers side closest to firewall). Ohm out each coil and make they match a good working injector. Make sure the 3 ficm plugs are fully seated. You have an open circuit between the ficm and #8. As cheezit said tackle this 1st.

Sent from my leash using IB AutoGroup

Old 07-01-2014, 02:13 AM
$F$O$R$D$
Freshman User
Thank you 78F and cheez.
It's late here in AZ, 11:33, I am exhausted and honestly don't have much time for any more research and am completely out of money. My home(bedroom) to be exact cought fire a couple days ago while I was outside working on putting on the 6 shocks up front. Drivers/passenger shock replacment since installing all the new springs, axle, studs,SS braklines/Abs lines and sway bar end link extensions. I will be putting on my new 38's and want the alignment perfect along with dampeners so I don't wear them out too fast. I will be switching between my 37.5x13.5R20's and my new Pit bulls I'm ordering next month.
Any how I've been working on it thru the night and day some times 26 hours strait because it's so hot here and I have no help at all. My freinds are completely usless.
I was outside trying to find the perfect location for the middle shock mounting point when I smelled smoke. I thought I saw it but couldn't tell where. I went around my home looking at everyone's house around me.
I didn't think to look at my own since my Roomate Scott was in the room next to mine. My Roomate Jimmy was on the couch with his baby watching TV, the TV is on my bedroom wall just on the opposite side. And my other Roomate was in his room which has no door cause it's supposed to be an office.
Finally I went to go inside and I walked to my front door and saw white smoke pouring out from the window cracks in the middle and top/bottom. I ran inside and screamed get out we are on fire.
I couldn't just sit there and watch my **** burn so I hooked up my gas powered pressure washer as fast as I could which all I had to do was screw on the hose and start it. I would have used the hose but it was one foot to short. As this story is sad I think it would have been funny to watch me eat it all 5 times I ran so fast when the hose ran out it jerked me back and I fell on the tile floor that was wet. I kept running back n forth because the smoke was killing my lungs. Finally because I paint cars and homes I grabbed my 3M face mask and ran into the flames after soaking mysel with water, and opened the window which was a good but bad idea. The flames wer so big it was sucking my door shut.
So once I opened it oxygen rushed in and the smoke felt like a hand that pushed me onto the carpet which was on fire. Thank god I was wer with my 3XL Dickies long sleeve work shirt because it had melted polyester all over where I hit the ground. I got up went outside and took that pressure washer, took off the fan tip and used the 10 degree which is like a 1/4 inch jet stream. It took 15 minutes to put out the bed. A cal king is nothing nice on fire.
So guys I have a third of my clothes, all my truck parts, my tv and Bose and that's it left. My tool bags got melted but tools are okay so I can make a buck still to get back on track but my laptop, PC and books all went up in flames. Of course that's not all but no piont in listing.
Good thing is I only own a truck bed full of things so I moved out in one night.
My roommates all ran. Not one of them helped me and they wer complete asses about the whole thing.
Our house is old. Has one outlet per room on a 15 amp Ground Fault. The one Roomate is tapped into my room with his crap. And the other drilled a hole in the wall from his side without telling me and tapped into my outlet. I had a power strip with a protection circuit and for some reason it did not trip. The laptop charging cord some how arced out to my lower box spring mattress and cought fire while I was on my truck.
So I don't mean to ask questions where some one could easily just do the research. I'm just spent and don't have a lot to give right now.
So I thank you all so much for helping me find out what's draging my truck down.
Now it's midnight and I'm gonna strap on my head light lamp and break out the multi M and get to testing.
I tested FICM voltage at 2k Cheez and it was 13.5. What's weird is all the numbers went up 1volt since the other day.
I drove the truck about 50 mikes of hi-way two times so 100 miles and I normally just go to circle K and back to get my Pepsi and M&M's ice cream cookie Fix!!
Gotta love the little things.
So since I moved my stuff to my moms it is running better but still missing. Is that possible when a short or wire problem is present?
Maybe the KAM was changed by driving that far since I'm a one blocker normally?
I'll post the readings tomorrow so you all can see.
And a very short post
I didn't want any one to think I just ask for help then bone out once it's fixed or ignore the freinds on here helping me. Im just dealing with the aftermath of the fire.
Thank you so much for your guidance and this forum.
Hopfully I can help you all out in the future.
I do airbrush and paint, install audio/Video and design build custom enclosed cabinets if I can help any of u with those I'm very good at it. Been doing it for 20 years or 15 professionally.
So I'm here for u if I'm needed.
Thanks again fellas. Cheers

Old 07-01-2014, 06:09 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Your ficm shouls stay at 45+ volts at 2k rpm, the supply rarely has issues. You can try swaping injectors as well and see if the misfire moves.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:10 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Check the maf harness near the air box. Remove the air box, ive had a few damaged,

Old 07-23-2014, 06:33 PM
$F$O$R$D$
Freshman User
cheezit, 78fordman and others, Thank you for your support.
I am in Salt Lake City, Utah and have been since the last time i posted.
I will not be back to Phoenix,AZ until next month but would appreciate any other suggestions along with the ones you have thought up all ready
I did trake out the air box and put my mothers panty hose over the intake mouth of the turbo. Of course i folded it over and over several times until i thought it to be sufficient
then sprayed it lightly with WD-40, i mean lightly too. honestly i thought it to be better than my P.O.S. AIRAID intake that snorkals out the front grill. Only diffeerenc was the location of the intake mouth.
My ficm showed 48 or higher. The specs listed by this forum as wel ford are perfect as i can tell by my scangasuge.
I didnt haver time to check the harness or the number 8 injector coil.

Cheezit could you explain to me breifly how to ohm out my coils?
I dont mean to be lazy or demanding i have 15 minutes a day im alocated to use the pc.

I am having some med issues takin care of, which is why im in Utah.

I must go now they want me off now.

Thank you so much for your help guys.

PS. i did check the mas plug and actually just installed a new one so all thats left to check is the injector and or harness for shorts/chafing

Ill check back in two days guys. thank you again.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:43 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Just ohm the coils theres 4 wires 2 of them are for the open coil 2 are for the clse coil.
Just ohm out the pins at the connectors or if you can find a pin out do it at the ficm connectors.
You should have less then 3 ohms or so for each coil. If you ohm an open coil wire to a closed coil wire your meter should read O.L. thus making sure your coils are not shorted together.

I hope this makes some sence