1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone replaced 6.2L lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:37 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Anyone replaced 6.2L lifters?

Since my 2012 was new, the gas engine will intermittently rattle upon startup, just for a second or so, until the oil pressure gauge pegs. It does not do this at every startup...sometimes it won't do it for a week, sometimes it does it 3x in a day. I have contacted Ford, I have talked with the dealer, and made a cell phone video recording based upon remote start. The problem is, I don't think I can make the truck actually do it at the dealer.

I'm convinced the problem is the very small valve lifters located in the ends of the 'roller rockers' - some are weak. When the engine is shut off a certain way, to where there is valve spring pressure against those weak lifters, the pressure squeezes the oil out of the lifters. Then, when it starts, it rattles until oil pressure pumps up the lifters again.

It doesn't do this sometimes, because the cam stops in a certain position which might only be applying pressure against non-faulty lifters. Then, it starts quietly.

I'm thinking about replacing these myself...wondering if anyone has done it; costs and work involved. My truck has 15k on it now, but has done this since new.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:00 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let the dealer keep the truck for a week or two until they have verified your problem. Your truck is under warranty, no way in hell I'd have a repair like that on my dime.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:04 PM
troverman
Hotshot
That's the jam I'm in, though...I need my truck for my job. Could leave it a day or two, maybe.

I'm expecting the 'noise doesn't constitute a failure' routine from the dealer. My folks had a 2005 Land Rover which had a VVT issue, similar problem...oil draining out while sitting, then rattle upon startup. That's the answer Rover gave them. That vehicle would make the sound every startup. Land Rover would do nothing despite going all the way up the corporate chain during the warranty period. Finally, they paid the tab ($3k) to have those VVts replaced at the dealer, by which time the LR3 had 90k miles on it and the sound had changed to the point where engine damage seemed imminent. Land Rover gave them $300 back as a 'goodwill' measure.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:16 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
I understand your situation, but you gotta start with your dealership. I would find a way.

My sister had a similar issue with her Jeep recently. After 4 drop offs and pickups from her, the dealership offered to drive to her house every morning and cold start her vehicle for her until they got it to act up. That way, the tech experienced the problem first hand and could attempt to repair the issue. After a week, they verified the issue and repaired it for good it seems. Not your typical dealer..lol

Old 07-23-2014, 02:58 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine has a rattle/clicking randomly on cold starts or hot starts. I've talked to the dealer many times and have gotten nowhere.

I was told the fuel Injectors are noisy on 6.2L trucks so I haven't let it become an issue yet. I'm tempted before my next oil change to get a blackstone oil analysis done.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:10 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by sammy77
Let the dealer keep the truck for a week or two until they have verified your problem. Your truck is under warranty, no way in hell I'd have a repair like that on my dime.

10,000 x This!

The minute you put a wrench to that engine, you can kiss your warranty goodbye.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:56 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
10,000 x This!

The minute you put a wrench to that engine, you can kiss your warranty goodbye.
Good point! I didn't even think of that.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:04 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get it to the dealer.. It might take multiple trips, but you MUST get it to them and get these issues recorded in the system. If you have a failure just out of warranty, you will need those records to get them to cover the repairs..

That aside - It is summer now and oil is thinner at start up - have you tried switching to the severe duty weight (summer) oil? Typically less bleed down with the thicker oils. I am also a fan of STP for the ZDDP Zinc and viscosity index improvers.. It goes in everything I have now since they legislated Zinc out of most oils...

Old 07-24-2014, 06:18 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Yeah, good point about the warranty. If I did it myself it wasn't going to be for awhile anyway. I've heard the injector nonsense; this is clearly not injectors since the second the oil gauge pegs to halfway the sound stops.

I do have it on record with Ford Corporate about this complaint; I will make the dealer keep it for a week.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:47 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
You don't void your warranty by working on your engine. They just won't cover damage caused by improper repairs.

Of course there's no way in the world I would replace parts on my dime while it's under warranty. You have another 45,000 miles to go before your warranty expires, I would find a way during that time to get the dealer to hear what's going on. Unfortunately these lifters aren't as easy to change as if they were on a pushrod engine.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:05 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Take it to the dealer and have then document that the problem was there and them just drive it like normal and be sure to keep on using 5-20 oil only.

My 2000 V10 did the same thing for 13 years and 130K miles without any problems, I think sometimes it' a overhead cam thing. My 6.2 has also done it a few times sometimes cold sometimes hot.

Denny

Old 07-24-2014, 07:15 AM
troverman
Hotshot
I'll take it to the dealer...when I have discussed in the past with the service dept, they give you blank looks. Its like they automatically assume you're just someone who knows how to drive a car, but has no idea how one works. They try the usual blow off tactics of "its the noisy injectors," "its normal, some make the noise, some don't," or "keep an eye on it and when you're back in for your next oil change we'll check it out." As someone who has worked on vehicles for years, I know exactly what the problem is. They act like "what's wrong with you, you're complaining about a little noise that doesn't affect the way the thing runs or drives?" I'm thinking how embarrassing it is to start my $45k truck in front of my friends because it may, or may not, sound like the engine is rapping and ready to come apart for a second or two.

It has nothing to do with being OHC, other than the defective lifters. My dad's 5.0L F-150 starts quietly every time...and that has twice the overhead cams and valves. But each time I hear that rattle, it actually is metal on metal meeting forcefully with a small gap between the valve spring and the rocker arm / lifter assembly. Which causes wear.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:28 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
I had to 2000 V10 motors at the same time one made no lifter noise but it used a quart of oil every 2K miles from new and last time I talked to the new owners at 275K it still used the same amount, my other one that had the noise sometimes at start up used no oil the whole time I had it, 13 years 130K miles. If that motor makes no noise after start up they will do nothing about it, some do it some don't and it doesn't seam to hurt motor it the long term.

Denny

Old 07-24-2014, 09:01 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
I'll take it to the dealer...
Good idea, troverman; I'll be here if you need help after your visit.

Crystal

Old 07-24-2014, 09:20 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Its like they automatically assume you're just someone who knows how to drive a car, but has no idea how one works.
But conversely, don't assume that the service writers know how to work on cars, they might barely know how to drive them. If you get the blank look, push for someone higher up. I've gone so far as the have the service writer bring a tech out of his bay so all three of us can talk, because sometimes there's a technical translation issue of running through someone who knows a little about a lot of models, but doesn't have the same detailed level of comprehension.

Plus sometimes it seems like my dealer has guys working there who sell for the lube rack only, and they're the eager beavers who run out into the drive as soon as I pull in.

Quick Reply: Anyone replaced 6.2L lifters?