Oil & Lubrication  

Synthetic Oils - Amsoil??

Old 04-01-2003, 12:33 PM
deep6
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Synthetic Oils - Amsoil??

I know that this has probably been discussed several times in the past, but I can't find any of those threads. I was wondering what some thoughts were on the use of synthetic oils such as Amsoil and some of these Remote Bypass Filtration systems. I currently use Chevron Delo 15W40 every 5000 miles w/and STP filter.

Amsoil really talks up their product as being a thousand times better than conventional oils. The possibility of not having to change my oil so often is definitely attractive, but ultimately I want to put the best oil in there that will keep me on the road for many miles. I have a 2002 PSD Crew with 4" lift, 1705 tuner, and about to add 4" exhaust from the turbo back. Again, I just want to keep this baby running perfectly as long as I can despite the mods. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-01-2003, 01:02 PM
jdboy9
Freshman User

Deep6,

I run Amsoil in my truck, I really can't give you a reason not to run it. I used to run Rotella untill I burnt up a turbo, now it did have 75,000 on it and might have been its time. Since then I've run Amsoil due to the high temps I like to see and the characteristics of my driving

I run it 8000 miles and change the filter at 5000. I've been running it for about 40,000 miles now with no problems.

Old 04-01-2003, 01:13 PM
e12769
Freshman User
Cool Synthetic Oils - Amsoil??

I am currently using Amsoil 15W40 in my 2002 PSD. I also have their dual remote bypass oil filters. As said above I can't give you a reason not to use it. I also use Amsoil in my 1997 Subaru Legacy GT,my 1993 Honda Goldwing, Honda Lawn mower and my Cub Cadet riding mower. Never had any trouble with Amsoil. I read a lot about synthetics and decided to try Amsoil as there is 2 suppliers that I work with. I really like it after many years of good service.
Denny

Old 04-01-2003, 03:38 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Stick with DELO and Ford's recommended oil change intervals. You'll be money ahead of the synthetic users. Once you extend your oil change intervals, you'll need to run some oil analysis to confirm you're still on track. No matter which brand you use.

Visit a couple truckstop's and see which brands of oil they are selling in gallon jugs. It's not some cheap no-name brand and it's not some expensive boutique brand either. Don't you think the trucking industry would know by now which lubricants give them the best service and extended engine life?

Old 04-01-2003, 04:13 PM
jdboy9
Freshman User

Actually the difference in prices for me wasn't an issue. I actually pay more for 3 changes of rotella(every 3,000) than just 1 of amsoil. I have gotten my oil analyzed and its fine, with 130,000 on it. 80,000 of that has been since I modified it to 300+ to the rear wheels.

Old 04-01-2003, 06:57 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Why change the Rotella at 3,000 miles? It's good for double that. More if you monitor it with analysis. At the minimum, 5,000 miles, if that's what the mfgr calls for.

Old 04-01-2003, 08:13 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend

Originally posted by Horsepuller
Why change the Rotella at 3,000 miles? It's good for double that. More if you monitor it with analysis. At the minimum, 5,000 miles, if that's what the mfgr calls for.

Your right. The new 6.0 has a recommended oil change interval of 7500 miles for regular use with dino oil.

Old 04-01-2003, 10:33 PM
jdboy9
Freshman User

I only changed it extremely because I drive in the same way. I'm not saying you need to change it every 3,000. I just did because I wanted to be safe. Like I said I lost a turbo with the Rotella and I'm not saying that it was because of the oil, could have been from mileage or a combination of both.

For the extreme temps and stress I put my engine through I feel much better running an oil designed for it. I'm not saying a petroleum oil isn't going to work. Synthetics is what I use and am very happy with its results. Not trying to start a brand war here just giving some info.

I don't think its too far fetched to say that the two are close in price, even if you go with a 5000 miles interval.

Old 04-01-2003, 11:05 PM
Rockingrodney
Junior User

Any of you guys have any problems with Rotella oil? I had my oil changed last Saturday and i thought Rotella was a good oil so thats what i told them to put in it? So did i do somthing bad wrong??

Rodney

Old 04-02-2003, 12:42 AM
jdboy9
Freshman User

I don't think Rotella is a bad oil, just wasn't what I wanted in an oil. Sorry to scare you

Old 04-02-2003, 09:06 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend

For those of you who want to use Amsoil and are still under warranty, the only API certified oil they have for diesels is a synthetic blend 15W 40. The rest of the oils for use in diesel are NOT API certified and will cause warranty issues should there be a problem.

Old 04-02-2003, 01:49 PM
ldcattle
Freshman User

I'm Safety Director for a trucking company. We have 70+ trucks, all using Delo 400. We still run several (15) 1990 Petes with 1.5 million miles on them with no major engine problems. Our PM's are at 10,000 miles.

When I bought my 96 PSD Crew in May of 96, I also started using Delo (got it from work-cheap). I change at 4,000 miles and have always drained out the same 14 qts. I put in. The only money (other than servicing) I've spent on the truck was this past December when I replaced the factory batteries. They weren't dead, I was just afraid they'd go dead while at my hunting lease way out in West Texas.

Old 04-29-2003, 12:37 PM
gburkett
Senior User

I bought my 2001 PSD last year and immediately hooked up the trailer and headed home to to IL for a visit. A friend who runs a garage advised me to use Rotella and I have ever since. I did notice that upon returning to Idaho that most use Dello out here. Thought that was kida weird, although more people drive chevy's back there than here. Anyway, has anyone tried the new diesel oil from valvoline?

Old 04-30-2003, 09:00 PM
medic641
Junior User

deep6,
I think you're doing fine running Delo 400. It's an excellant oil, and coupled with the 7.3L PSD's large sump capacity, you could probably achieve greater change intervals, like 7,500 miles, and even greater if using by-pass filtration with it.

Amzoil is just too expensive to run in the crankcase IMO. Fine for things like differentials and transmissions. If you're considering synthetics, there are other options besides Amzoil. Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 is a great synthetic diesel oil, probably more readily available, API certified, and is costs less than Amzoil's 5W-30 diesel oil.

Old 05-01-2003, 03:05 AM
SAL11
Freshman User

<!-- Hi guys, I have used amsoil for 24 years and I have been happy with it. But I have also been happy with the way some of the other oils have performed over the years, like the delo, delvac, mobil, and a few others, they hold up well with oil analysis. I dont think there is that one super oil that everyone should use but i think you should do what your comfortable with. That said I also use the dual remote oil filter which is a great filter system, it will increase your volume of oil by 11/2 -2 quarts depending on filter sizes used. For fords it costs 186.50. The cost for the 5W-30 is 6.45 per qt from amsoil go online and order it yourself have it delivered, the warrenty issues i cant help you with because i have never had any and do not know anyone who has in 24 years using amsoil --> Edited due to spamming.

Last edited by SAL11; 05-01-2003 at 03:14 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Synthetic Oils - Amsoil??