Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Adding a tag axle for stability hauling a truck camper

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:46 PM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 472 Likes on 325 Posts
I licensed my F350 for 14K in WA to cover hauling the Host 11.5 camper and pulling the 21' boat via superhitch. Setup worked well, and I'd say this camper was one of the heaviest out there. No tag axle needed, just suspension/tire upgrades to get up to the capacity of the rear axle, which was 9750lbs.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:03 PM
gcspray
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice looking rig! Your boat looks a lot like mine. Host is a good camper. Nice truck! Why did you sell it? Are you getting another one? I will never haul a TC on a truck with single rear wheels again. I have owned a bunch of truck campers over the years. Many years ago, a tire blew out on a Camper Special Chevy C-20 with a 10 foot camper. It came very close to turning over. This morning after getting off from work, I ran with someone driving a new F-450 CC, dually, 8 foot box. They were hauling an Adventrure slide in with one slide out on the right side. The camper looked to ba around 9' 6". The truck was carrying it fine, but it was easy to tell that it was sititing on the overloads. Large TC's can easily overload a truck. Maybe I will just stay with an 8' camper. Lance builds a fully self contained 8 footer with a wet bath. It weighs 1770 lbs dry. It has no provisions for a generator though.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:19 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing about the trailer trolleys is you are 10 feet longer. Some states don't like long loads. Here I think is 53 non tractor my truck by law can only tow 34 trailer but under farm they don't even look. As I tow a 38 bumper pull trailer and never been stopped. It is over 61 feet long but I sold it and got a Gooseneck now only 51 long

Old 07-28-2014, 01:55 AM
gcspray
Mountain Pass
Old 07-28-2014, 02:17 AM
gcspray
Mountain Pass
I believe that a passive steerable tag axle will work best. Dolly systems are essentially an extra trailer to tow. A tag axle will become part of the truck. Self centering steerable tag axles are gaining in popularity on both RV's and commercial trucks. Electric brakes on the tag will add extra braking force to the rig. The 30K Supertruss hitch with the 48 inch extension on it is rated for 1200 tongue weight and 12K trailer GVWR. My car trailer weighs 7500 loaded, so it is well under the rated weight of the hitch with the extension. I am thinking about using a Supertruss hitch, extension, ball-mount, and weight distributing hitch for the towing part of it. The platform for the tag axle could connect to the truck via two 2 inch square tubes added to outer edge of the receiver, and though the B&W turn over ball gooseneck in the bed that is already mounted in the truck. Many people who haul TC's on Ford Superduty trucks add 2 x 6 lumber laid sideways to lift the camper up and provide adequate cab clearance. The TC can sit on top of the platform in the truck bed, which can be constructed from 1 1/2 heavy steel tubing with a 1/4 steel plate top and bottom, instead of lumber. The platform for the tag axle can also provide additional support to the Supertruss extension making an already strong enough hitch system even stronger.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:33 AM
BWST
Got Data?
I hear you on the SRW limitations. This truck was my daily driver, and I did not want a dually for 95 percent of the time it was on the road. I went with 19.5" commercial tires and wheels and they were rock solid - stiff sidewalls really reduced sway. Extended bump stops and wedges to engage the upper and lower overload springs immediately maximized the carrying ability of the spring packs. 100psi air bags running at half pressure were enough to fine tune the levelling with the boat on. I would do it again, unless I was full timing.

Sold it to reduce my debt. Going to bumper pull trailer camping without the boat for a few years while the kids are starting college.

I did like the first camper I started with, an Eagle Cap 950 with a wet bath and one slide. It was a good camper, and considerably lighter than the Host. E rated tires were enough for that rig - much less expensive than the route I went.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:42 PM
gcspray
Mountain Pass
Old 07-28-2014, 06:51 PM
cps
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by BWST
I licensed my F350 for 14K in WA to cover hauling the Host 11.5 camper and pulling the 21' boat via superhitch. Setup worked well, and I'd say this camper was one of the heaviest out there. No tag axle needed, just suspension/tire upgrades to get up to the capacity of the rear axle, which was 9750lbs.
I just checked my GAWR for the rear of my truck. It says 6830lbs. Your says 9750 lbs.? We have the same truck configuration, so did they come with different pkgs I wonder?

Old 07-28-2014, 08:58 PM
BWST
Got Data?
Some will debate this, but the sticker is based on the stock tires that come with the rig. I researched the axle for the 2000 F350 and found out it was capable of 9750lbs, so the limitation is the tires/wheels, and the spring packs used. I stay under the GCVW of 20,000 because I don't trust the brakes or my skills for more than that, but I do exceed the stated GAWR of 6830 and GVWR of 9900 to get the job done. I cover the GVWR by paying for a 14K weight on the tabs each year.

The truck will handle this. It's a matter of making the right upgrades and driving smart. The commercial tires/wheels, wedges and air bags get it done. There are a few of us doing this with Fords, Dodges and Chevy 1 ton SRW trucks with heavy campers, and it's an interesting search on the web to see what works.

That mach I is a nice boat!

Old 07-28-2014, 09:40 PM
cps
Laughing Gas
[quote=BWST;14540784]Some will debate this, but the sticker is based on the stock tires that come with the rig. I researched the axle for the 2000 F350 and found out it was capable of 9750lbs, so the limitation is the tires/wheels, and the spring packs used. I stay under the GCVW of 20,000 because I don't trust the brakes or my skills for more than that, but I do exceed the stated GAWR of 6830 and GVWR of 9900 to get the job done. I cover the GVWR by paying for a 14K weight on the tabs each year.

The truck will handle this. It's a matter of making the right upgrades and driving smart. The commercial tires/wheels, wedges and air bags get it done. There are a few of us doing this with Fords, Dodges and Chevy 1 ton SRW trucks with heavy campers, and it's an interesting search on the web to see what works.
That is good info about the axle, but I always thought it was about the brakes and being able to stop safely. I am not sure what would happen if you got into an accident, the cops might have something to say if you were over the GAWR even you did upgrade other things. It does make me feel better seeing someone else pull and carry as much as I do with the same rig with no issues.