Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-22-2014, 08:56 PM
New User

Ranch Rig is starting off with a positive reputation.
Stacks or back exhaust?

Hello everyone,

I've got a friend who runs dual stacks in his 94 F-250. We had a discussion regarding exhaust systems. He favors the stacks, saying it cools EGT by allowing a shorter distance for exhaust to travel. Although I'm not entirely fond of stacks, anyone have any ideas as to whether stacks make a difference? I know the diameter has a lot to do with it, but I'm scratching my head. Is there a performance increase with stacks versus normal back piping?
Old 07-22-2014, 09:03 PM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
Stacks make ZERO difference in EGTs. After all there is only a 3" outlet at the back of the turbo, THAT is the limiting factor

Anything more than a 4" single exult is for looks and sound. It make ZERO performance gains
Old 07-22-2014, 09:48 PM
Louisiana Chapter LDR

fordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud of
X2^^^^^^^^
I went from stock exhaust to 3" dp 4"exhaust which made a difference. Then went to 3"dp with 5" from the dp with 5" stacks and the only change was sound.
96 F350 CC ZF5 53k with grandpas package
Louisiana FTE Member Map
Old 07-22-2014, 09:49 PM
Postmaster

madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.
Dual exit pipes on any vehicle that, by definition, has single exhaust looks.... compensating. A SINGLE stack, done tastefully, can look right, but the real questions you gotta ask yourself are whether you want a hole in your bed, and whether you want the outlet that close to the cab and its occupants.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:10 PM
Elder User

MOOSE_MACHINE is starting off with a positive reputation.
Come on guys you can't tell me this doesn't look totally rad lol
http://www.craigslist.org/about/best...493372708.html
2000 F-150 XLT 4x4 4.6 e4od
Nick
Old 07-22-2014, 10:17 PM
Louisiana Chapter LDR

fordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud of
This has to help with EGT's
Louisiana FTE Member Map
Old 07-22-2014, 10:27 PM
New User

Ranch Rig is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad View Post
Stacks make ZERO difference in EGTs. After all there is only a 3" outlet at the back of the turbo, THAT is the limiting factor

Anything more than a 4" single exult is for looks and sound. It make ZERO performance gains
Alrighty, good information to know. Since I'm not a fan of stacks, it's nice to know I can use my 4" back piping without sacrificing some "magical stack performance booster".
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Dual exit pipes on any vehicle that, by definition, has single exhaust looks.... compensating. A SINGLE stack, done tastefully, can look right, but the real questions you gotta ask yourself are whether you want a hole in your bed, and whether you want the outlet that close to the cab and its occupants.
Well, I'm okay with exhaust being that close to my occupants, however I don't like the fact that I'd have to remove a small amount of space in my bed for a stack. I use my truck for hauling heavy supplies, and I figure I'll use the space under the cab and bed that was given to me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE View Post
Come on guys you can't tell me this doesn't look totally rad lol
best of craigslist: 1998 honda accord 3.0 v-tech dually
That thing looks down right weird AF. I know stacks are common, but CB whips and the whole dually thing? Nah.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:27 AM
Team Brahma

liftnw8z has a superb reputationliftnw8z has a superb reputationliftnw8z has a superb reputationliftnw8z has a superb reputationliftnw8z has a superb reputationliftnw8z has a superb reputationliftnw8z has a superb reputationliftnw8z has a superb reputationliftnw8z has a superb reputationliftnw8z has a superb reputationliftnw8z has a superb reputation
liftnw8z Bill_SoonerFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch Rig View Post
Well, I'm okay with exhaust being that close to my occupants, however I don't like the fact that I'd have to remove a small amount of space in my bed for a stack. I use my truck for hauling heavy supplies, and I figure I'll use the space under the cab and bed that was given to me...
That's always been why I won't go to stacks. The bed is too useful, especially on a 3/4 or 1 ton, to waste that space.
'98 F150 4x4 "Brahma Bull Edition" 5.4L, Auto, 6" lift w/glide-ride, custom stereo, more - '96 F350 XLT CCLB 4x4 "The tOwBS", 7.3L PSD, Riffraff 6637, 3" dp to 4" exh., and evil intentions - '98 Expy EB

R.I.P "SteveBricks", a friend and a brother, you'll be missed.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:59 AM
Posting Guru

BBslider001 is starting off with a positive reputation.
For the love of all that's right in this world, please, no stacks. My 2 cents...
1997 F-350 CC Dually, 7.3 PSD, E4OD, 6637 Intake, Straight 4" Stainless Exhaust, 3" DP, Bellowed Uppies by Re-Billd, E-Fuel by Re-Billd, Motorcraft 15w-40 with Motorcraft Filter, EDGE Insight CTS, TS Chip, 213k Miles

2011 34' Sundance by Heartland TT (10,700#)
Old 07-23-2014, 12:05 PM
Postmaster

cowmilker08 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.cowmilker08 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
For the love of all that's right in this world, please, no stacks. My 2 cents...
...unless you do a hood stack! Otherwise, I totally agree.
"He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life." 1 John 5:12
Old 07-23-2014, 12:19 PM
Postmaster

madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.
Dude at our local farmers market has a stack setup I like. F-SD C&C with a frame set for a 9-foot bed (the C&Cs have those longer frames), put an 8-foot pickup bed on it, and has a tool box and a stack in the space in between. (Personally, I'd put a fuel tank in there if it were me, but....) Actually a pretty clean looking setup.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:03 PM
SPONSOR

BoKnowsDiesel is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
It has to be the right stacks on the right truck for it to not look tacky. Very fine line between "That's a sharp truck" and "Man, that guy is trying too hard"
Old 07-23-2014, 01:11 PM
Louisiana Chapter LDR

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoKnowsDiesel View Post
It has to be the right stacks on the right truck for it to not look tacky. Very fine line between "That's a sharp truck" and "Man, that guy is trying too hard"
All the really matters is if the person that is putting them on his truck likes them.
I had em on my 97 and they will be going on the dually and cN care less what anyone else thinks.
Louisiana FTE Member Map
Old 07-23-2014, 08:05 PM
Elder User

Gicknordon has a good reputation on FTE.Gicknordon has a good reputation on FTE.Gicknordon has a good reputation on FTE.
gicknordon
the only ones ive ever liked were ones that the stacks were the main uprights of a head ache rack
1948 F-1 project 429 big block
Build thread for 48 http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...9-ford-f1.html
Photobucket album for 48 http://s1137.photobucket.com/albums/...don/49%20ford/
Old 07-23-2014, 09:37 PM
Posting Guru

IDMooseMan has a good reputation on FTE.IDMooseMan has a good reputation on FTE.
IDMooseMan Craig Peters
Stacks provide no performance gains over "normal" exhaust routing, IMHO. Stacks serve a purpose and I have no problems with the folks that run them. I keep a camper shell on my truck bed 99.99% of the time, so stacks are not an option for me.

If you're going to add stacks, do it because you want them. They won't add any performance value to your setup. On a side note, my local truck club has sponsored some "Dyno Day" events. The dynamometer shop personnel are NOT fans of trucks with stacks because they usually aren't setup to run a "stacked" truck on the chassis dyno. The shop is smoked out before the dyno run ends.
Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters - Slackmaster #27, Big BSer #4, 1997 F-350 XLT 4x4 CCLB E4OD 4.10:1
VP BSU Veterans Club
, USAF SSgt 1983-1992, NAHC Life Member, RIP Gideon 3/14/2011-Go play
To those that have served, Thank You. To those that haven't served, You're Welcome.
Fraternal Order of Blue Max
Old 07-23-2014, 09:37 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel