Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2014, 07:07 AM
Post Fiend

DIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to all
One thing to add to the fray is that generally with stacks you will end up with soot on whatever is nearby. Also, if you use a flat or mitre cut stack that allows water to collect in it, you will have all that sooty water blown all over your truck the first time you start it after a hard rain. I'm not a stack kinda guy, but to each his own. Personally I prefer a nice 3" downpipe to a 5" system that empies in the stock location. That's just my preference for look and sound.

As others have said, if you're going to do stacks, do it for the look and sound not for any expected performance difference because there won't be one.

1997 F-350 7.3 PSD, 4x4, CCLB SRW, 3.55's, ZF5
If it isn't under warranty, I'll fix it myself.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:50 AM
Junior User

Robbieo11 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordpride View Post
This has to help with EGT's
Looks like a mobile pipe organ
Old 07-24-2014, 10:57 AM
Posting Guru

BBslider001 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
All the really matters is if the person that is putting them on his truck likes them. I had em on my 97 and they will be going on the dually and cN care less what anyone else thinks.
I hear what you're saying but he did ask opinions and that's what we gave him. In the end it only does matter if he's happy but it sounds like he was on the fence.
1997 F-350 CC Dually, 7.3 PSD, 6637 Intake, Straight 4" Stainless Exhaust, 3" DP, Bellowed Uppies and E-Fuel by Re-Billd, Rotella 15w-40/Motorcraft Filters, EDGE Insight CTS, Glow Shift Fuel Pressure/Boost Gauges, John Woods E4OD HD, TS Chip, 217k Miles

2011 34' Sundance by Heartland TT (10,700#)
Old 07-24-2014, 11:08 AM
Louisiana Chapter LDR

fordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud of
He asked about performance gains, not looks
96 F350 CC ZF5 53k with grandpas package
Louisiana FTE Member Map
Old 07-24-2014, 01:55 PM
Posting Guru

BBslider001 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
He asked about performance gains, not looks
Yep, I stand corrected. I still hate them...LOL! But yeah, to each his own. I hate them so much I would almost sacrifice performance, even if they were better...but that's just me.
1997 F-350 CC Dually, 7.3 PSD, 6637 Intake, Straight 4" Stainless Exhaust, 3" DP, Bellowed Uppies and E-Fuel by Re-Billd, Rotella 15w-40/Motorcraft Filters, EDGE Insight CTS, Glow Shift Fuel Pressure/Boost Gauges, John Woods E4OD HD, TS Chip, 217k Miles

2011 34' Sundance by Heartland TT (10,700#)
Old 07-25-2014, 01:47 AM
Postmaster

cowmilker08 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.cowmilker08 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Do you guys think that a hood stack offers any kind performance gain? I would think maybe only a slight amount in higher horsepower trucks that move a lot of air (exhaust).
"He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life." 1 John 5:12
Old 07-25-2014, 11:04 AM
Posting Guru

IDMooseMan has a good reputation on FTE.IDMooseMan has a good reputation on FTE.
IDMooseMan Craig Peters
Phil, stacks don't offer any performance gain over the OEM routing. Consider that when adding stacks, one pipe is routed into two pipes. Generally with a double-90* turn, going to the left and right sides of the truck, and then additional 90* turns going up each stack. That's a minimum of 4 90* bends in the exhaust system.

I don't know what you mean by "hood stack," but that seems like a lot of sharp turns for the exhaust gasses to negotiate. Opening up the exhaust system is always better than the OEM setup. Stacks are just a different way to do that. They do offer better performance gains over an OEM system, but the do not offer better performance gains over a turbo-back system or a cat-back system. They're just use a different route and serve a different purpose.
Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters - Slackmaster #27, Big BSer #4, 1997 F-350 XLT 4x4 CCLB E4OD 4.10:1
VP BSU Veterans Club
, USAF SSgt 1983-1992, NAHC Life Member, RIP Gideon 3/14/2011-Go play
To those that have served, Thank You. To those that haven't served, You're Welcome.
Fraternal Order of Blue Max
Old 07-25-2014, 05:18 PM
Post Fiend

strokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDMooseMan View Post
I don't know what you mean by "hood stack," but that seems like a lot of sharp turns for the exhaust gasses to negotiate. Opening up the exhaust system is always better than the OEM setup. Stacks are just a different way to do that. They do offer better performance gains over an OEM system, but the do not offer better performance gains over a turbo-back system or a cat-back system. They're just use a different route and serve a different purpose.
What he means by "hood stack" is what you generally see on sled pulling or drag trucks. A stack in the hood of the truck, so exhaust only runs a couple feet max before going to atmosphere.

IMO, there can be a gain with a hood stack ONLY when the exhaust size being used is larger than you could have physically fit under the truck. On our hood stacks we are usually using a 4-5" pipe straight off the turbo and out the hood stack. Obviously, that's larger than what we are going to be able to build a downpipe with on most Powerstrokes. Dodges you can build a 5" downpipe for though. The hood stack itself is strictly for looks. Under the hood there is a pipe that is just blowing up into the stack. The stack and the pipe under the hood aren't physically connected.

OP, as far as stacks in the bed go... There will be zero performance difference. I have run a stack(s) on my OBS for about 8 years now. I have wished many times that I didn't do it, but there is nothing out there that is going to give me the same sound and it has benefits for me at the drag strip such as preventing me from "smoking the lights" (blowing the smoke up into the air instead of low to the ground where the smoke can blow forward and get in front of the timing lights).. Other than that, I like the look on some trucks and others I hate. On my truck, I like how the single 6" stack looks. I don't even care if Byron likes it or not. LOL
Travis- Death Row Diesel Inmate #7
1995 F-250 RC PSD- because race truck
2000 F-250 SC LB 4x4 ZF6- 4" TB, 6637, TW and Gearhead tunes, 160/100s, Driven Diesel full fuel system, S365..
1994 F-150 4x4

Old 07-25-2014, 10:17 PM
Posting Guru

IDMooseMan has a good reputation on FTE.IDMooseMan has a good reputation on FTE.
IDMooseMan Craig Peters
That's what I was thinking he meant, but wasn't sure. Thanks for the education, Travis.
Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters - Slackmaster #27, Big BSer #4, 1997 F-350 XLT 4x4 CCLB E4OD 4.10:1
VP BSU Veterans Club
, USAF SSgt 1983-1992, NAHC Life Member, RIP Gideon 3/14/2011-Go play
To those that have served, Thank You. To those that haven't served, You're Welcome.
Fraternal Order of Blue Max
Old 07-25-2014, 10:17 PM