6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Saving money for BPD oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:52 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 336 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by gregory1420
i have the full kit also.. been on my truck since dec of 2012. the filter is easy to get to. i like it so far only prblems i've had is one of the hoses has a slight hole rubbed thru it bc of the way it was routed and the erg cooler is leaking where it goes up into the intake.
- was this an install error and not necessarily BPD's product issues?
would i buy it again hard to say i might just flush the crap out of it and change the coolant to the cat EC then install a new cooler and leave it at that...but at the time i had the money and feel its a good upgrade for the truck..
- I have yet to find anything negative about the BPD kit other than the price.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:54 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
OEM coolers do not have the reputation for bursting or rupturing. A handful of examples doesn't make an epidemic.

Josh

Agree 100%....BUT it would be one of the worse things I'd like to deal with....gotta agree with me there

Old 07-23-2014, 11:00 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by joe blow
Agree 100%....BUT it would be one of the worse things I'd like to deal with....gotta agree with me there
A ruptured OEM cooler is the furthest from my mind. I would be more concerned with leaking hoses, punctured oil filters, clogged cooler fins etc.

I think the BPD system is a knee jerk reaction to bad maintenance.

Josh

Old 07-23-2014, 11:02 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Keep in mind how much oil is left in the BPD system during an oil change.

Josh

Old 07-23-2014, 11:14 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
Joe -

The BPD cooler is a great system. If I had the money, I would love to have one. That being said, it is practically impossible for MOST people to justify it. Some people have/had issues with repeat plugging of the OEM cooler that are practically unexplainable. Those folks generally either sell their truck or install the BPD cooler.

For the owners that currently have good oil cooler performance and also use good maintenance practices, there is little to worry about w/ the OEM cooler.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:26 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by bismic
Joe -

The BPD cooler is a great system. If I had the money, I would love to have one. That being said, it is practically impossible for MOST people to justify it. Some people have/had issues with repeat plugging of the OEM cooler that are practically unexplainable. Those folks generally either sell their truck or install the BPD cooler.

For the owners that currently have good oil cooler performance and also use good maintenance practices, there is little to worry about w/ the OEM cooler.
Hi Mark,

So far so good with my OEM cooler. I already have the block fumotos and ELC sitting in the garage but I haven't pulled the trigger on the flush since my cooler has been very dependable, although my spreads when towing seem to indicate a less than favorable condition (my opinion). Granted my posting indicated I am hellbent on buying this thing (not the case) but for now I am trying to find every reason to save my money, do the good flush, R&R the OEM cooler, HPOP screen while I am in there and call it good. Lots of great opinions so far all pointing to a big "NO". The system is proven and extensive R&D was done so that is what I am trying to base my purchase off of. Is the OEM cooler a good system, ABSOLUTELY when it works correctly. Are the odds of it plugging there...sure they are as the odds are there for the BPD system to have a catastrophic failure. Which one is more probable? I would point to the OEM cooler failing before the BPD system.

To this date I have NEVER read or heard of a BPD system failure or an unhappy customer, contrary to the several OEM coolers giving issues or causing failures. If you guys have any links I would love to read them

It is hard for me to take into consideration the "he said, she said or the I knows because I heard or think it is true" opinions. I respect the bunch of you guys that have helped me with your vast knowledge over the years. Just trying to make an educated decision based on facts and only facts not biased conjecture.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

I think I saved my self ALOT of headaches by installing my coolant filter early on and since have gone through atleast 6 coolant changes sticking with the gold coolant....but the honeymoon can't last forever.

Thanks for the help

Old 07-23-2014, 11:32 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Keep in mind how much oil is left in the BPD system during an oil change.

Josh

How much oil is left in the system.....do you have an accurate quantity?

It would lead me to believe that gravity would take care of a good portion of the oil in the lines leading to the oil filter mounted at it's lowest point and whatever is left in the block goes to the pan. A design flaw maybe, maybe not...but to maintain prime this is probably necessary. Doubt it is more than a quart if that and I am pretty sure Gene would have a definitive answer over your or my guess.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:12 PM
gregory1420
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the leaking oil lines yes that was the installers fault. the leaking from the egr cooler to the intake hard to say it didnt like for 1.5 years. i called BPD about it and they have been great about it. asked to find out were it was leaking from if its coming from the oring inside the intake or the tig weld where the nipple is welded onto the egr cooler itself. ii have plans to address this next week..

as far as oil left over in the engine with this kit dont really know. i can tell you alot of oil drains when you remove the fender mounted oil filter.

the kit is pretty nice you can not really tell my truck has it on there which is one of the things i asked them before i got the kit. i dont like a bunch of non factory stuff hanging off my engine which is very good about this kit..

Old 07-23-2014, 06:16 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Very interesting comments so far. No way is this a bash BPD thread....just opinion gathering

I agree it is a lot of money, that is for certain. There was an overwhelming majority agreeing one could replace the stock cooler 10x for the price of a BPD. I have been in the motor that far once and it is ALOT of work for sure. Do you guys constantly replace coolers in your trucks?

Just as a piece of mind for me that my oil cooler is working. Normal deltas unloaded range from 10-14*. Loaded and towing HEAVY the deltas stay close as mentioned but on long hard pulls I have seen spreads as far as 30* and coolant temps reaching ~235*.

I have been told I am ok so I closely monitor and it hasn't changed much. Is it time for a new cooler or is it working as it should?

Thanks
My oil cooler and radiator have less than 10k miles on them. Flushed well and I know the new radiator did not have crude in the bottom of it to lodge in my new oil cooler.

I push 10 to 13 degree deltas unloaded and 20 to 30 towing a 9k TT. I know my oil cooler and radiator are good, but I don't get the same deltas as others have reported. Each truck is a little different. My issue could be a weak oil cooler bypass valve. I suspect that is true for many of us that push " higher" deltas.

I won't get all concerned about my oil temps unless they start staying around 240 while towing.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:27 PM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
- No long hoses to leak or burst. No oil filter waiting to be punctured by tire or road trash. No need for altered fan ops to improve airflow through the rad and ac condenser.
- Can you elaborate on the altered fan ops please. Never heard of this.
Call BP or check the threads on .org, quite a few BP fans over there. BP sets the fan to come on at a lower temp through tuning and they have a mod to use a 7.3 fan clutch, which from the sounds of it the fan runs all the time. Airflow is the issue and it is a common problem. Air cooled oil coolers work great as long as you have plenty of airflow, good luck pulling a load up hill or stuck in traffic on a hot day.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:40 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the BPD full system as well. I have no issues with a/c or fan, here in FL where it is hot AND humid.

In cool weather(<60*) i use a cold weather front to keep the oil hot, otherwise it'll stay in the mid 170s even on the hiway..

Fuel mileage suffers if oil isn't near 190*. The oil filter is larger, and i am going to start replacing it every other oil change, every 10k (along with fuel filters).

I'm planning to keep my Ex forever, so I choose the Bpd system when my delta got to 17-18.

I also plan moving to CO and towing our jeep to go play in the mtns, so I'm prepared for that too.

Sent from my Sprint PC36100 using IB AutoGroup

Old 07-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Deep South
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Misky6.0
I have the BPD full system as well. I have no issues with a/c or fan, here in FL where it is hot AND humid.
Where abouts in Florida do you live?

Old 07-23-2014, 09:51 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Considering the price of the BPD system , how much does it cost to have a mechanic replace a stock oil cooler? Ok ,so if you do it yourself, how much is your time worth? I have read so many times where people on here were replacing their oil cooler and flushing, flushing, flushing, and replacing, meanwhile I drive and enjoy my truck!

My opinion, the BPD is well designed, and worth every penny. What is your time worth?

Old 07-23-2014, 10:05 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A ruptured OEM cooler is the furthest from my mind. I would be more concerned with leaking hoses, punctured oil filters, clogged cooler fins etc.

I think the BPD system is a knee jerk reaction to bad maintenance.

Josh
Could be, all I know is I bought my truck with 75k on it, and the oil cooler was just replaced, I was experiencing 37 degree deltas within 10-15k miles, and I decided to go with the BPD system. Not every truck may have problems with temp spreads, but I agreed with the notion that the oil cooler was a flawed design, asking way too much from the cooling system and putting in the BPD would put less demand on the cooling system.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:23 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by jsm180
Call BP or check the threads on .org, quite a few BP fans over there. BP sets the fan to come on at a lower temp through tuning and they have a mod to use a 7.3 fan clutch, which from the sounds of it the fan runs all the time. Airflow is the issue and it is a common problem. Air cooled oil coolers work great as long as you have plenty of airflow, good luck pulling a load up hill or stuck in traffic on a hot day.
You mention they alter the fan through tuning. There is nothing on their website that details any of this having to be done. There could be an issue with a hot day stuck in traffic BUT....on any given HOT day the ambient temp is 100*F. in bumper to bumper traffic, THEIR IS NO LOAD on the engine....temps drop drastically and oil temps normally circulating in 190*+++ heat exchanger temps are now subject to AMBIENT 100* temps....I do not understand your point if you had one.

I understand it is an air to oil cooler. The FAN moves air even at idle so if the ambient temps are lets say 100*F it is still much cooler than a heat soaked oil/water heat exchanger exposed to 200*F temps.....I don't understand your statement.

Quick Reply: Saving money for BPD oil cooler