1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Teach me/sell me on one of these trucks

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 09:38 AM
MJE426
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ddavidv
Candidate #2 $3000 and also needed rocker panels. Geez, these trucks are rust bombs! Did Ford buy their steel from Chrysler? I think the prior generation was more rust-resistant...
LOL, if you want rust free more or less, you'll have to look down south or out west.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:42 PM
88-150
Senior User
Originally Posted by ddavidv
Candidate #2 $3000 and also needed rocker panels. Geez, these trucks are rust bombs! Did Ford buy their steel from Chrysler? I think the prior generation was more rust-resistant...
I'm actually surprised that trucks down there are as bad as they are up here(Syracuse, NY). I managed to swing $300 for my 98 after the guy wanted a grand for it. I supose if you found one cheap enough LMC will be your new best friend, then again I'm not 100% sure where you're looking.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:31 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
A few more items to add to the Factory Towing option I listed above:

130 Amp alternator
Higher Amp/hr. battery
Engine super cooling (includes the multi-row radiator, instead of the standard thin single-row radiator)

I also have a power steering cooler, it is wider than it is tall, and can also be seen looking through the bumper cutouts. Don't know if all the trucks have that, or if it's only Factory Tow. Have not seen it listed anywhere.

Not meaning to hijack but doesn't the XLT package come with the towing package already? I have everything but the brake controller and the trans cooler.
No. Factory Tow is an option. I don't think Ford was going to throw that in as a standard item, as it would raise the truck price point relative to Chevy & Dodge on every single truck. As an option, those who want it order it that way and pay for it, or look for a truck on the lot with it... and pay for it.
I think the percentage of trucks sold with Factory Tow are probably in the minority.

But dealers can install receivers, 7-pin harnesses, and at least around here, there a 4 wheel and off-road places that tack on all sorts of glitzy bits and what-not, some useful things, and some things that the mere sight of them gag me, but maybe some here (hopefully not very many ) like stuff like... those.

The Factory Tow package has a relay box that replicates all of the functions for the trailer, so it does not load the vehicle.

If you have an auto trans, and don't have a Ford aux trans cooler, then there is no way it can be a Factory Tow package. Every Factory Tow package has an aux trans cooler in it, it is the #1 part for trans survivability in towing.

Rusty trucks - I've seen some of the underbody and suspension pics here on FTE. Since I have been living in the South for many years now, it has become shocking to see the rust in some of those pics! I don't miss that! Cars and trucks around here have all of their paint underneath, and most of their paper labels on parts. I've re-calibrated to expect that now, not unusual at all! Till somebody posts pics from the rust-belt.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:18 PM
88-150
Senior User
Originally Posted by Torky2
A few more items to add to the Factory Towing option I listed above:

130 Amp alternator
Higher Amp/hr. battery
Engine super cooling (includes the multi-row radiator, instead of the standard thin single-row radiator)

I also have a power steering cooler, it is wider than it is tall, and can also be seen looking through the bumper cutouts. Don't know if all the trucks have that, or if it's only Factory Tow. Have not seen it listed anywhere.

No. Factory Tow is an option. I don't think Ford was going to throw that in as a standard item, as it would raise the truck price point relative to Chevy & Dodge on every single truck. As an option, those who want it order it that way and pay for it, or look for a truck on the lot with it... and pay for it.
I think the percentage of trucks sold with Factory Tow are probably in the minority.

But dealers can install receivers, 7-pin harnesses, and at least around here, there a 4 wheel and off-road places that tack on all sorts of glitzy bits and what-not, some useful things, and some things that the mere sight of them gag me, but maybe some here (hopefully not very many ) like stuff like... those.

The Factory Tow package has a relay box that replicates all of the functions for the trailer, so it does not load the vehicle.

If you have an auto trans, and don't have a Ford aux trans cooler, then there is no way it can be a Factory Tow package. Every Factory Tow package has an aux trans cooler in it, it is the #1 part for trans survivability in towing.

Rusty trucks - I've seen some of the underbody and suspension pics here on FTE. Since I have been living in the South for many years now, it has become shocking to see the rust in some of those pics! I don't miss that! Cars and trucks around here have all of their paint underneath, and most of their paper labels on parts. I've re-calibrated to expect that now, not unusual at all! Till somebody posts pics from the rust-belt.
Thanks for clairifying what's found on a truck with the tow package, all I've got is the hich and wiring so probably the prev owner put it there.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:35 PM
Rellick
Senior User
My 99 used to tow my 5500lb TT without much problem. Like someone said before it's not gonna fly up hills, but it makes it.

Just happens to be for sale too. 143,000 miles and zero rust.