1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me spec my new feed truck

Old 07-22-2014, 06:03 PM
buff1
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me spec my new feed truck

Ordering an F350 in the next few days and I want your guys' input.

This is what I got so far. 4WD XLT Scab Gas SRW, 4.30 locking diff, bed delete. I will be putting a Deweze 675 bale bed on it- Appr. 2K lbs.

I've always had Chevy HD's before now and I have several questions.

(1)The limited slip adds $1K. Should I do the locker or this? I drive in a lot of slop in the wintertime.
(2)I don't see a bed delete option on Ford's build website. Have to go to their commercial cab and chassis which adds 10" to the frame length (which I don't need). Bed delete is how I ordered my Chevys. Can you do the same with Fords?
(3)Assuming I should stay away from ESOF and go with manual hubs for durability. But does that mean getting in and out of the truck as I drive from pasture to pasture? (Have to get on paved road intermittently)
(4) Have always had to add air bags on my Chevys to deal with the extra weight. Bed + 2 bales - whatever stock bed would weigh- looking at 4 to 5K lbs loaded. Any other options here or is that still the way to go? I don't want DRW because they suck ***** in the mud.

Thanks for your input.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:56 PM
ketel0ne
Senior User
I believe for the bed delete (66d) you have to order through the fleet division.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...BOX_DELETE.pdf

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...-350_F-450.pdf

Old 07-22-2014, 06:58 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Hi Buff1, welcome to FTE!

1. Most people seem to be dissatisfied with the factory limited slip differential, but most are very satisfied with the e-locker. I really liked the e-locker in my last truck because it's controlled directly by the driver.

2. Yes you can get a truck ordered without a bed. From the 2015 Order Guide:

Originally Posted by 2015 Order Guide
PICKUP BOX DELETE (66D)
Availability:
• Optional XL and XLT: F-250, F-350 SRW and F-350 DRW Pickups
with long wheelbases
• Regular Cab 137" WB (8 ft. box)
• SuperCab 158" WB (8 ft. box)
• Crew Cab 172" WB (8 ft. box)
Usage:
• Incomplete vehicle package – req. further manufacture and
certification by a final stage manufacturer. In addition, Ford urges
manufacturers to follow the recommendations of the Ford
Incomplete Vehicle Manual and the Ford Truck Body Builder's
Layout Book (and applicable supplements).
Not available with:
• 20" Wheels and Tires
• FX4 Off-Road Package (17X)
• Trailer Tow Package – High Capacity (535)
Includes:
• 17.5K Trailer Hitch Receiver (see Trailer Tow guide for rating)
Deletes:
• Pickup Box and Tie-down hooks
• Tailgate
• Bodyside moldings
• Rear bumper
• Spare wheel, tire, carrier and jack
• 7/4 Pin Connector
• Center High Mount Stop Lamp (CHMSL) (59H) (only on vehicles
over 10,000 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating)
Options Available:
• Center High Mount Stop Lamp (CHMSL) (59H) (only on vehicles
over 10,000 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
3. Most people with manual hubs seem to be very satisfied with the simplicity and durability of the system. I've had both and liked the ease of use of the ESOF. But you can leave the hubs locked in and switch from 2WD to 4WD by simply pulling the shift lever if you choose. The downside is that would mean the front axle and driveshaft would spin the entire time which is bad for fuel economy. Since this is a work truck I don't think you'll have an issue with that.

4. There is NO WAY I would recommend ordering a single-rear-wheel truck for 4-5,000 lbs payload. The maximum rear axle weight available on an SRW truck is 7,100 lbs. Empty they are around 3,200 lbs. Add to it the weight of your bed and a single bale and you're right at max capacity. Yes you could supplement with airbags, but you'd be over your wheel, tire, brake, and axle ratings. NOT recommended at all. You really need a DRW truck for your use at minimum, and preferably an F-450 with the beefier rear axle.

A Super Duty should do the job just fine, but make sure you get the right one. The gas engine will do a fine job with that kind of weight, but the DRW is really not optional for your use in my opinion.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:39 PM
buff1
5th Wheeling
Thank you so much for the feedback.
Tom, I'll have to look into this more with the SRW. I really need to keep that config. So I wonder how much the bed delete saves? It would include the weight of the bed, bumper, tailgate, and spare.
So fully loaded I drive 3 miles of mostly gravel road at about 35-40mph each day if that makes any difference.

Thanks again.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:42 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
The bed only weighs a few hundred pounds, it's not as significant as you'd think with how big it is. I'd haul one bale all day long with that configuration, but there's no way you'd be within spec with two. Maybe a small trailer would make sense?

Old 07-22-2014, 08:00 PM
buff1
5th Wheeling
Hmm. OK. May have to go with DRW.

Can anybody speak about how the DRW setup does on soft ground/ mud? My neighbor tells me to stay away from it.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:20 PM
AAubinoe
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would suggest buying it with the bed and then removing it and selling it. When my dad bought my 2004 F250 new they only gave him like a $150 credit. Just a thought if you have the space and the time.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:28 PM
buff1
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by AAubinoe
I would suggest buying it with the bed and then removing it and selling it. When my dad bought my 2004 F250 new they only gave him like a $150 credit. Just a thought if you have the space and the time.
Never thought of that but if that's all they give then definately. I've got all kinds of space under a roof to store it.

I will price it both ways. Thanks.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:55 PM
2014 f250
Freshman User
I have the e-lock diff in my truck and I am very happy with it.I also have the manual hubs and I like them also.I leave them locked in all winter and unlock them in the spring.it causes about .2 mpg loss.I would unlock them if I was taking a long trip and there was good road conditions

Old 07-22-2014, 09:10 PM
cattlerancher
Senior User
I would go for the limited slip myself, if i remember correct the e-locker doesnt work over a certain speed. I think it was 20mph, maybe someone will confirm that.. I had a 2000 f 350 dually with a hydra bed and got along well with it in most conditions, the worst thing was getting mud and manure in between the rear tires when backing up to a hay ring. With that being said a srw is definetly better in mud snow than a dually.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:44 PM
skymanr
Junior User
Hey buff1. We have a f350 dually regular chassis cab with a deweze bale bed on it and we love it. Even in the lots in the winter time it seems to do just fine with an open differential. Of course it slides around a little more than a single wheel but it doesn't sink quite as easy either. When backing up to a feeder with a bale on to drop the bale in I just get a good run at it to get through the manure pile, drop the bale in and pull right out. It has more flotation and if you're working in tight places in slippery conditions then it's probably not the best but I've never gotten stuck in lot with it. There are several times I've decided not to drive somewhere because of the potential of getting stuck, there's a lot to be said for a little caution when driving in soupy poo.

The extra length on the bed is nice for hauling two bales also. When u put the second one on it will push the first one up closer to the headache rack so you don't have to drive with one hanging over in the back. The factory springs seem to do just fine with the weight too. Doing the extended cab with the extra long bed might be getting pretty long though, it depends on what you're used to I guess.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:12 PM
buff1
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by cattlerancher
I would go for the limited slip myself, if i remember correct the e-locker doesnt work over a certain speed. I think it was 20mph, maybe someone will confirm that.. I had a 2000 f 350 dually with a hydra bed and got along well with it in most conditions, the worst thing was getting mud and manure in between the rear tires when backing up to a hay ring. With that being said a srw is definetly better in mud snow than a dually.
I've wondered about those hydra beds. They seem to have a good reputation but I don't see many around here. My Chevy has the limited slip and I don't like the way it'll still let one wheel spin sometimes. Maybe Ford's LS works better?

Originally Posted by 2014 f250
I have the e-lock diff in my truck and I am very happy with it.I also have the manual hubs and I like them also.I leave them locked in all winter and unlock them in the spring.it causes about .2 mpg loss.I would unlock them if I was taking a long trip and there was good road conditions
Sounds like this is how I'll probably run 90% of the time as well.

Originally Posted by skymanr
Hey buff1. We have a f350 dually regular chassis cab with a deweze bale bed on it and we love it. Even in the lots in the winter time it seems to do just fine with an open differential. Of course it slides around a little more than a single wheel but it doesn't sink quite as easy either. When backing up to a feeder with a bale on to drop the bale in I just get a good run at it to get through the manure pile, drop the bale in and pull right out. It has more flotation and if you're working in tight places in slippery conditions then it's probably not the best but I've never gotten stuck in lot with it. There are several times I've decided not to drive somewhere because of the potential of getting stuck, there's a lot to be said for a little caution when driving in soupy poo.

The extra length on the bed is nice for hauling two bales also. When u put the second one on it will push the first one up closer to the headache rack so you don't have to drive with one hanging over in the back. The factory springs seem to do just fine with the weight too. Doing the extended cab with the extra long bed might be getting pretty long though, it depends on what you're used to I guess.
I know what you're saying about the longer bed and how the 2nd bale doesn't hang off the back. Although I'm used to running the shorter 475 Deweze so I'll probably stick with that. Plus you're right, that cab and chassis ext cab would be long as a well rope.
So you guys almost have me talked into a DRW. I think I had built it up in my head as being much worse offroad than it really is. Most of the DRW trucks with a hay bed around here have a feed box as well but I have a dedicated truck for that so I don't know.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:26 PM
Greg5OH
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
maybe get a detroit locker, can read all kinds of opinion sin the locker in my dd rig thread.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:00 PM
skymanr
Junior User
It's a dream pulling rowdy bulls with a dually too!

Old 07-23-2014, 05:31 AM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
Originally Posted by buff1
Hmm. OK. May have to go with DRW.

Can anybody speak about how the DRW setup does on soft ground/ mud? My neighbor tells me to stay away from it.
When you think about it, despite the slightly increased weight of a DRW, you have more tire contact area on the ground. This equates to less pressure per square inch, so soft ground and mud would be less of an issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me spec my new feed truck