Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This might help... I went with Autometer for mine for a near-factory look:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-cluster.html

Old 08-03-2014, 08:15 PM
youngunbd
Junior User
That looks amazing!! Being what some older folk would consider a "whipper-snapper" I was almost tempted to go with an analog display and do it all that way but I much prefer mechanical gauges

Old 08-03-2014, 08:20 PM
cyclone-429
Senior User
Thanks... I have to admit, its real nice having accurate info in front of me.

Since then, I have also added a second sensor in the trans pan, with a switch on the dash. I can now switch from engine to trans temp when I need.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:06 AM
78_f800crewcab4x4
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by youngunbd

Question.... Should I pop out the rivets from the frame and replace with bolts, the rust isn't bad but I think one or two could use replacing. Do em all while I'm at it?

What's the best trick for the spring pack, soak em in herculiner or sand blast and paint? Or air bag the rear end?? So many choices heh I'll keep the thread updated as best I can!
I did an f600 frame. Drilled all rivets replaced with bolts. You will be surprised at what kind of rust is hiding under riveted cross members!

I would suggest wire wheel for the frame and por 15 with a top coat like urethane or rustoleum black.
Or
Media blast it and then epoxy primer followed by urethane or rustoleum.

I assume you know that you cannot coat the bare metal and especially rust with plain herculiner. It will peel off to a degree.

I love herculiner on the underside of the cab as a replacement for undercoating; however, I use epoxy primer under it first.

I like the idea of the freightliner air bag suspension for a rear end!

My f600/700 spring packs are all media blasted and awaiting paint. I just did some f100 packs with por15 and bolted them together as the stuff is pretty flexable. they are getting a topcoat of black urethane just fully assemed as I don't see a need to put a topcoat in between leaves.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:10 AM
youngunbd
Junior User
Yeah I knew I'd have to wire wheel the **** out of it, I was planning to buy a lot of por 15 and por 20 for this project. I'll wire wheel the base of the cab and rebuild the front cab mount then prime the whole darn thing, I think I might actually clean up and touch up the orange interior though!!

Old 08-04-2014, 12:20 AM
78_f800crewcab4x4
Cargo Master
Will this big old copper radiator cool a beefed up diesel??
Absolutely!

Those old brass and copper are beasts compared to the garbage made now. Have it re-cored if needed.

Put in an electric fan.

I love the look of the old radiators, they are a work of art that goes along with the truck.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:25 AM
78_f800crewcab4x4
Cargo Master
Yeah I knew I'd have to wire wheel the **** out of it, I was planning to buy a lot of por 15 and por 20 for this project. I'll wire wheel the base of the cab and rebuild the front cab mount then prime the whole darn thing, I think I might actually clean up and touch up the orange interior though!!
Buy the good wire wheels as the collateral damage from the cheap ones is not worth it. Por 15 goes a long way. Forget the other products from por 15. Their topcoat is a joke.

This is gonna be sweet, not too many of these get built up!

Another note, wire wheels make light to dark (we call black swirlies)of melted paint and goo that makes a film on the metal that must be scrubbed away during the degreasing process.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:47 AM
youngunbd
Junior User
Hmm so I will definitely have to clean everything up very well!

I need to go pick my engine up from the machine shop and send a few parts off like the cam and pump, but the pump will probably wait. Then the monster build can begin!

I am having second thoughts on the color? The herculiner is black, so black frame, black frame of the flatbed with a dark stain on the wood. Black bumper, probably a black grill, matte black stacks, dark blue cab with an orange interior hahaha this'll be interesting!

I knew copper rads were good, so I will muscle an intercooler in front of it with an electric fan behind. I was looking it up, it appears I have a 272 and not a 292 heh, either way, these are small yet long motors! That darn water pump sticks out way far compared to my 6.9, but I still need to measure the length of my motor and get the old one out and start to fab up the mounts and all.

If I wasn't scared of marring the block while using a bare block to fit the mounts, I'd do that... so it'll wait till the damn thing weighs 900 pounds again.... damn diesels!

Might have to box the frame a bit at the front and back of the motor, and pick up some hiem joints and make me some ladder bars! Maybe a tracbar too!

We have a dodge out at the yard with an 8 lug dana 44 in it, with divorced 205 t-case... dare I turn this puppy all wheel drive with a slight lift?!? On that note, what is the lug pattern of our trucks, I was told a 44 could be converted to our lugs?!

Old 08-04-2014, 05:14 PM
78_f800crewcab4x4
Cargo Master

I knew copper rads were good, so I will muscle an intercooler in front of it.

Might have to box the frame a bit at the front and back of the motor, and pick up some hiem joints and make me some ladder bars! Maybe a tracbar too!

We have a dodge out at the yard with an 8 lug dana 44 in it, with divorced 205 t-case... dare I turn this puppy all wheel drive with a slight lift?!? On that note, what is the lug pattern of our trucks, I was told a 44 could be converted to our lugs?!
Like those top two ideas!

A d44 is not strong enough for the truck you have. A few 2.5 ton rockwells will bolt on and be a good match plus you can get disc brake kits.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:29 PM
youngunbd
Junior User
When you mentioned rockwells, it donned on my I know a guy with a full set! They'd need complete rebuilds but its definitely possible! heh maybe down the road a bit.

I didn't take any pictures today but we have the whole front off, rad and all that on the ground, most of the wiring un-done, gonna try and pop the cab off early this week and pull the motor and trans by the weekend. Then I can get these axles off, and start doing the frame!

Looking at it today, there isn't much room to fit an air bag between the tires and the frame! I'll do some searching but if I go air bag and like half the leaf springs, it'll be in inside mount... which seems odd to me. What other ways can I do my suspension, beyond dropping some leaves and adding a really heavy bed?

For brakes, I think I'll just rebuild this whole system and see how she does! It drove fantastically on the way home, definitely needs bled heh might have to go a little modern though now that my buddy works at the wrecking yard. I was told the dodge diesel hydroboost system goes in pretty well?

Old 08-05-2014, 12:43 AM
78_f800crewcab4x4
Cargo Master
When you mentioned rockwells, it donned on my I know a guy with a full set! They'd need complete rebuilds but its definitely possible! heh maybe down the road a bit.

Looking at it today, there isn't much room to fit an air bag between the tires and the frame! I'll do some searching but if I go air bag and like half the leaf springs, it'll be in inside mount... which seems odd to me. What other ways can I do my suspension, beyond dropping some leaves and adding a really heavy bed?

For brakes, I think I'll just rebuild this whole system and see how she does! It drove fantastically on the way home, definitely needs bled heh might have to go a little modern though now that my buddy works at the wrecking yard. I was told the dodge diesel hydroboost system goes in pretty well?

Badd azz!

Wait I missed it...is this a street truck or a pretty off road beast? we keeping it simple?

You need to figure out the axle and suspension before the brakes. Because we need to know which brakes we going with.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:27 AM
youngunbd
Junior User
Oh I wish I wish it would get Rockwell's but that's a dream for the future!

Old 08-05-2014, 11:55 PM
youngunbd
Junior User
Well the cab will come home and I promise to have more pictures very soon!!

But I saw a thread where the guy cut out new front cab mounts (cab braces?) and I swear I bookmarked it but I didn't! Does anyone have the link for the thread that has the measurements and or a template for the front cab mounts!?

I am quite eager to get started on fixing this cab!!

Old 08-10-2014, 12:19 PM
youngunbd
Junior User
Front end is off, engine is drained and cab is about ready to be lifted off! I plan on blasting out all the rivets, I have spotted rust on some and I'd like the get a good coat of POR15 on the whole frame. With a fastenall in town, I am just gonna grab a bag of high grade bolts and lock nuts and put her back together! Thankfully my fenders are in good condition, I'm not sure how good I'll be at body work, but we'll find out!

Pictures!

Old 08-17-2014, 09:47 AM
ireding
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure where you are at or what your timing is but I have a couple 57 F600 fenders that will work on your truck that are in pretty good shape with very little rust. I was going to use them until I picked up 2 NOS fenders that I haven't got around to installing yet. PM me if you like - maybe we can work something out.

Quick Reply: New to me 1958 F600