any brands of 5rs to stay away from?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 04:35 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
You'll find the best pricing on this years model after the 4th of July time frame. This goes for most years as the dealers want to get them off the lot as the new models will be coming in soon.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:51 PM
crock
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
trailer

. Just a couple thoughts from experience. Make sure you have enough storage for everyone's clothes both clean and dirty.
Make sure there is enough outside storage, not forgetting all the "essentials". Make sure the vehicle is the right size to pull and STOP safely.
Having had both I would recommend a booth over the separate chair and table. Make sure the toilet room and toilet is big enough for all involved including guests. Consider whether you will be in a campground or dry camp, generator etc. Don't ask how I know just take the advice for what you paid for it,.lol. Buy used if you can.

Bob C

Old 07-22-2014, 07:41 PM
camper415
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
having lost storage space for the outside for a nicer layout inside , i will try to find a good balance between the two on my next rig . I am amazed by the amount of storage on the ones ive looked at so far inside and out.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:40 PM
wingedone
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by camper415
My wife and I are begining to look at 5th wheel trailers and just wanted to see if any are just not worth waisting our time on . We are looking in the 30foot area no toy haulers.
Look at a lot of them. Unless you go very high end, the rest are a crapshoot. I can show you people that are pissed about their rig in any brand made.

I would recommend, if you go new, buy something on the lot. Then you can spend as much time as you want checking it out, and getting things fixed before you write the big check.

When we bought, in our part of the country, across all products in our price range, we found new on lot or ordered, we got prices quoted at 65% of MSRP. Prior year, left over models, were at 60% or lower. It's a starting point.

Everyone has their own needs. You need to figure out your own.

One thing 90% of people like and use a lot, the electric fireplace (heater). Lot cheaper to use their electricity, than your propane.

Very interesting thread: Must have, Don't need

Old 07-26-2014, 07:13 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wingedone

Very interesting thread: Must have, Don't need
I just looked at that thread - and while the posts are interesting, it almost appears that many are high level 5ers (expensive) and are big trailers and often their 2nd or 3rd or so unit. The OP is a newbie to RVing and while this gives him an idea of what's out here, he will still need to wander RV shows and dealer lots for what suits his use. For a new family, I would never suggest a w/d or dishwasher. I would suggest a full bathroom rather then a walk through and something we saw on even fairly high level trailers. Large shower size, unless you are a really big person, to me is a waste of valuable space. Ten gallons of hot water really wont give the two of us the kind we like and all CGs have showers - and yep, I agree some aren't very nice. Unfortunately, many low or intermediate level campers have a 6 gallon HW tank. Fireplace - quite possibly the single best item added to RVing. Self leveling - nice, but for a RV beginner, unnecessary. Disc brakes - great, especially on a bigger unit but overkill and too much complexity on a smaller one. Slides - yes, and as many as possible. Slide toppers - work great where it doesn't rain often. They fill with water and have to be dumped after a storm. Island kitchen - it's an obstruction plus you lose valuable counter and storage space. One of my wife's needs was for a standard 'L' shaped counter on our new Montana. A decent lower level coat closet - a need and something we had to compromise on so I'll need to do something about that very soon. Fresh and waste tanks - the bigger the better. We saw a one that had a smaller gray tank then fresh water tank along with a too small black tank. Storage space - a big 'basement' for toys and supplies. Lots of drawers and closets. Reefer - a 2 door is fine for most folks. Fantastic Vent fan(s), a/c, decent dining space, either booth or free standing. A booth is usually converted to sleeping space for kids while free standing will give the long legged and larger folks more room at the expense of that extra bed. Hide-a-bed. They work, are uncomfortable and the air mattress version prone to leaks. I said it in a post above - aluminum exteriors dent easily, fiberglass wont, but still requires wash and waxing to prevent dulling and chalking.

For a newbie to the trailering life, and it's my opinion only, that he stick to something that's less complex at first then move up in a few years once he determines what is desired or 'needed'.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:27 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
My own thought is how a unit is going to be used dictates the things that prove to be most valuable. Features that are of great value in one type of campground are of much less value in another so I think until you figure out how you like to camp, it is really hard to determine what you need or will enjoy. Of course, working on these things the last think in the world I want in our RVs is complexity. Been there, done that, will not do it again.

Steve

Old 07-30-2014, 09:39 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't WANT to work on mine - I just want mine to WORK so I can RECREATE

I get paid good money for my area of expertise therefore I can pay Steve good money for his

unfortunately my latest new, custom ordered, expensive one has been a nightmare and in 10 months of ownership it has been available for camping MAYBE 3 months... and is unusable right now...

so while I have enjoyed probably 10 rv's over the years, this one is not one I've enjoyed !

Old 07-30-2014, 10:23 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Of course, working on these things the last think in the world I want in our RVs is complexity. Been there, done that, will not do it again.

Steve
One of the very reasons we went with a Montana High Country instead of of one of their higher end models or a very nice Prime Time Crusader - no self leveling system to recalibrate on a regular basis, conventional cable slides instead of the problem prone gear and rack or hydraulic systems and ancient but proven design electric drum brakes. I still carry enough blocks to level - simple, with set up for an overnight stay at 15-20 minutes, can replace a $25 cable in an hour and do a brake job without worrying about slobbering brake fluid and sticky calipers. It does have an electric awning and the jury is out on that.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:58 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Been reading this along with the one I started. I am
finding a lot of very good info to go looking with.

Thanks Everyone.

Sean