6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Best Computer Chip for Gas Mileage????

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 02:16 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Mine will regularly do 20 - 21 highway speeds up to 68-72mph as long as that imaginary egg under my right foot remains unbroken. Once broken(gotta hear that turbo occasionally!!) - it starts to drop down to 19-19.5. It has 3.55 gears, totally stock long bed F250(avatar truck). Your 3.31 gears may not put the engine in the best efficient rpm range by a hundred or revs.
the size/gears are pretty evenly matched

3.31 with 18's and 3.55 with 20's

to get best mileage I try to keep it around 1600 rpm.
(most of the time not!)

Old 07-23-2014, 02:17 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,959 Likes on 2,187 Posts
They don't use chips anymore...

Old 07-23-2014, 03:31 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
They don't use chips anymore...
I thought we were talking about which salt and vingear chips the 6.7 prefers....oops

Mine gets 2 more mpg on the ketchup chip"s"

Old 07-23-2014, 03:38 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,959 Likes on 2,187 Posts
Originally Posted by 2ndStroke
I thought we were talking about which salt and vingear chips the 6.7 prefers....oops

Mine gets 2 more mpg on the ketchup chip"s"
rofl...mine likes them too

Old 07-23-2014, 05:53 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Bottom line if you want mileage get a car. This subject was beat to death in the 6.0 forum for years and the people claiming 5 to 7 mpg increases were smoking stuff that's more illegal than defeating the emissions.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:05 PM
hallp82
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
Bottom line if you want mileage get a car. This subject was beat to death in the 6.0 forum for years and the people claiming 5 to 7 mpg increases were smoking stuff that's more illegal than defeating the emissions.
Well...not to be rude but as you can tell....I'm new here! Sorry if I have created a post that has been talked about before. Sorry that my post offended you SOOOOOOOO MUCH that you just absolutely HAD to read my lowly post then post a reply to flex your superior FTE muscles!

please accept my deepest apologies for burning holes in your brain by forcing you to read something that has been previously posted....Douche!

Old 07-23-2014, 06:44 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Originally Posted by hallp82
Well...not to be rude but as you can tell....I'm new here! Sorry if I have created a post that has been talked about before. Sorry that my post offended you SOOOOOOOO MUCH that you just absolutely HAD to read my lowly post then post a reply to flex your superior FTE muscles!

please accept my deepest apologies for burning holes in your brain by forcing you to read something that has been previously posted....Douche!
I apologize to you, I didn't look to see how many posts you may have and still haven't. These trucks are made for hauling and so many people come here and want to get 25 mpg from them.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:10 PM
riden82
Senior User
I think that your best option is to leave the truck stock, keeping good maintenance on everything including tires. Run the motorcraft fuel treatment (winter and summer blend) and learn the vehicle as much as you can. Deleting will not give you much more mpg over a stock. I waited to 50k before I deleted and now almost at 70k, and honestly truck is so much more fun but I didn't do it for mpg gains. Basically just enjoy your new truck for a while. Btw congrats on getting out of a Bow tie.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:23 PM
hallp82
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 69cj
I apologize to you, I didn't look to see how many posts you may have and still haven't. These trucks are made for hauling and so many people come here and want to get 25 mpg from them.
Sorry for the rant!

I don't want 25mpg. I just bought my truck and waiting for delivery and was thinking it was going to be more like 14-15mpg. If I get anywhere near 20 I'll jump for joy!

Old 07-24-2014, 07:10 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Sorry for the rant!

I don't want 25mpg. I just bought my truck and waiting for delivery and was thinking it was going to be more like 14-15mpg. If I get anywhere near 20 I'll jump for joy!
Stock you should get in the middle to high teens on the highway, possibly 20 depending on your right foot. If your area does emissions checks it'll behoove you to leave it stock.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:39 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh man. I'm late to the party.

When it comes to mileage, I just rarely take what people say anymore. No offense. There are way too many variable out there that affect mileage that unless you try to control the majority of them, it's going to be very hard to pinpoint improvements (if any at all, which I would doubt) to one specific item. I have also been consistently lower in MPG then what claims I have seen on here and with no way of validating said claims, I go by what directly affects me.

Also, bare in mind, we are talking about a performance enhancer. These things are designed to make these trucks go faster. Why would anyone think that also translates into MPG improvements? I have to wonder those that were claiming 5-7 were probably going off their lie o meters, instead of hand calculating. I had a/m turbo, modified injectors, custom tuning etc and I never saw an ounce of improvement, but that didn't bother me, because I bought those items for a specific purpose and that's what they were designed to do in the first place (ironically my truck ran cleaner then stock).

I also have to tell you, it's going to take a long time (if ever) to recoup the cost of the tuner if your sole goal is for MPG improvements. You have to first pay off the initial investment of the tuner and/or tunes (if you go the custom route, which in a lot of ways is better then the canned tunes), so you have to factor in the extra cents that you get from that additional mpg (if you have any) and apply that to the cost of the device. Once that additional savings pays for the device (and tunes if applicable), then you can start counting those cents toward your savings at the pump.

I have been using a tuner of some kind for 8 out of the 9yrs I had my 6.0. That's a lot of money and I would have been in the red big time if I did that to improve fuel economy first and foremost.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:56 PM
F stock owner
Senior User
Sorry for the rant!

Personally, I don't think you need to apologize. I was taught that there is no such thing as a stupid question. Just stupid answers.

Just as one reference point, I'm currently getting 18.1 MPG combined city/highway. The best I've seen on just highway was 21.5 MPG with cruise control. Yes -- these are information center numbers (computer), but I found early on that my hand calculated numbers varied between 0.5 and 0.2 MPG from truck numbers so that's good enough for me. And yes -- these are with the truck empty (except for my loaded tool box) and not towing.

As was said earlier, if your state does inspections as mine does, you are probably best off leaving it stock. I met a guy at the inspection station last week that was ready to kill the inspector. He did a complete tune/delete and apparently threw away the stock equipment. I've never seen anybody so mad.

My best is advise for best mileage is to:
- keep your tires aired up properly.
- keep maintenance up to date.
- use synthetic oil if you want to.
- add PM-22-A conditioner to your fuel or whatever conditioner you like.
- keep your tach at 1600 RPM (65 MPH) on the highway.
- anticipate red lights. i.e. let off the throttle sooner than later.
- and drive like you have an egg between your foot and the peddle.
- and most importantly, keep all your receipts and maybe a log book of work done and oil/filters purchased if you do your own work. Always use Motorcraft fuel and oil filters to avoid any warranty issues.

It sounds like you're getting a new truck ("waiting for delivery"). Keep in mind that the transmission will take two maybe three weeks to "learn" your driving habits/style. Don't expect great mileage in that time.

IMHO, a truck that weighs ~8,000 pounds and gets 18 MPG is doing really well. Congrats on the new truck. I'm sure you'll really like it.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:04 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by F stock owner

As was said earlier, if your state does inspections as mine does, you are probably best off leaving it stock.
You can actually get fined and all that good stuff even if you are exempt from testing in your local jurisdiction. That's a fun fact that not many people mention. I've known a couple to get fined when they were exempt from the testing and I live in areas that are known to be somewhat lax with their testing procedures. Only going to get worse.

Yes -- these are information center numbers (computer), but I found early on that my hand calculated numbers varied between 0.5 and 0.2 MPG from truck numbers so that's good enough for me.
That would be good enough for me as well. I was getting a variance of 10 mpg, so either my math is horrible wrong (which isn't beyond the realm of feasibility as I am an aggie) or something isn't kosher with computer on that truck.

I stopped calculating it though back in 2012. I'm going to drive the way that I'm going to drive and it is what it is. I need these trucks to haul specific goods, so until I no longer need a truck for that purpose (which I don't see happening anytime soon) not much I can really do about it.

I met a guy at the inspection station last week that was ready to kill the inspector. He did a complete tune/delete and apparently threw away the stock equipment. I've never seen anybody so mad.
I have little sympathy for people like that. If you want to tune and/or delete things that you shouldn't (regardless if your local jurisdiction is testing for it), fine, but do so at your own risk. He has no one to blame but himself.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:25 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
My truck is deleted/tuned. I have noticed no real change in milage - although my driving habits have probably got more severe now that the truck is tuned.

The older Fords that didn't have Urea injection (6.4l) typically saw big milage gains with a tuner. The 6.7l can see milage gains, but much less significant - and certainly not enough to cover the cost of the tuner/deletes.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:53 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BigF350
My truck is deleted/tuned. I have noticed no real change in milage - although my driving habits have probably got more severe now that the truck is tuned.

The older Fords that didn't have Urea injection (6.4l) typically saw big milage gains with a tuner. The 6.7l can see milage gains, but much less significant - and certainly not enough to cover the cost of the tuner/deletes.
My 08 6.4 with spartan showed 22 mpg on the dash, but hand calculated it was just above 12, only .25 mpg better than stock.
It had tons of power, including some tyranny slip accelerating (usually on left turns) from a near stop.

Quick Reply: Best Computer Chip for Gas Mileage????