6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

EGR Blocking Plates

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 11:06 AM
damada
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR Blocking Plates

I have a 2008 f-250 6.4....I bought a gearboxz dpf 4.0....installed and had some power and smoke issues....
I have been told to install the EGR Blocking Plates....any info on whether a novice like myself can install this? Where can I find a schematic of the EGR....location? steps to remove?....etc.
Many Thanks, Mark

Old 07-22-2014, 01:34 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
saw your message. Yes get the block off plates.

It appears you have a egr cooler leak. Do it before you drive it anymore as the coolant tends to seep into cylinder # 8 and may cause a hydro lock.

You can do the job yourself. The kit will have all the instructions needed.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:39 PM
damada
Freshman User
Thanks Senix....I had also sent you a private email....you seem to be the "go to guy" around this site...

Do you think without the block plates, that is why after installing the gearboxz dfr-r 4.0 that my truck lost power and had the thick white smoke?

Someone else told me to throw away this programmer and buy another, but I am already invested in this one...
Thanks bud...

Old 07-22-2014, 02:51 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
You probably went into eternal regen because of no DPF.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:01 PM
rock_doctor
Senior User
You have to program before you install the dpf/cat delete pipe. If you do the opposite it will go into perpetual regen and since there is no dpf it will belch white smoke that smells like diesel. There is nothing wrong with the dpf-r but because it doesn't cost $2000 everybody says it is junk.

Here is a thread on doing a full egr system delete.

Smell the white smoke...Sweet then the egr coolers are leaking and you need to get them off the truck ASAP. If it smells like mosquito fogger then you need to give a call to the people who sold you the programmer and see what they say. If it smells like diesel i bet the program did not take. If you plug in the programmer dongle what does it say? It takes a *long* time to program these trucks the first time. Mine took a good 20min with the dash flashing every error message possible. I have the dpf-r tachyon plus and have had no issues what so ever with it. What model dpf-t do you have and what does the smoke smell like?

Old 07-22-2014, 05:24 PM
damada
Freshman User
thanks rock dr....
I should clarify....I bought this pickup one year ago, my first diesel.
I bought from a used dealer...came home and discovered the dpf filter had been removed and the pipe put in, along with leaving the sensors(all done correctly), but the prior owner had de-programmed (uninstalled their programmer). So basically I had a truck that had the dpf removed and the kit put in but the programmer taken off before the owner sold it.
so....i did some research and found the Gearboxz DPF-R 4.0 and ordered and installed. Prior to installing this programmer, the truck was running fine, but noticed it was "cleaning the exhaust"...regen quite often.
After installing the programmer is when I lost most of my power and the truck was producing the white smoke. I made it back home and uninstalled the programmer and the truck went back to running fine.
I called Gearboxz and Sam told me to install the EGR block plates, then install the programmer and I will be fine.....was just wondering if that sounds correct.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:15 PM
sxrfun
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Erg blocker plates are fairly easy to instal. Upper one straight forward and easy to access. Lower one, remove fender splash shield on drivers side and the joint for lower plate is right there. Watch gasket on lower joint when you pry the joint slightly apart to install plate.....it's easily damaged.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:23 PM
damada
Freshman User
I just hope that is my problem...
I have been running the truck with the programmer uninstalled for a few weeks and the truck runs great....no smoke....only time it smoked and cut power was when I installed the Gearboxz DPF-R 4.0
Many Thanks buddy.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:46 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by damada
I just hope that is my problem...
I have been running the truck with the programmer uninstalled for a few weeks and the truck runs great....no smoke....only time it smoked and cut power was when I installed the Gearboxz DPF-R 4.0
Many Thanks buddy.
I don't think it's the egr coolers although it doesn't hurt to get rid of them, leaves you a lot more room in the drivers side engine bay and around the thermostats. Personally I think that since your truck was already deleted and ran fine it still had the original tune still on it, so you can't tune it back to stock off that tune. Then you try to put the gearbox Z on it, the part that confuses me is that y0u say it still regens with how it was from the dealer you bought it from, shouldn't do that?????

Old 07-22-2014, 07:17 PM
damada
Freshman User
Not sure bud....
I'm not taking out the coolers, just installing the block plates at the top and the bottom. The programming mfg'er says that will fix my problem, so I guess I will do that and hope for the best.
Since I was getting the heavy white smoke after installing the programmer, maybe blocking the EGR valve, so that coolant can't go thru it anymore might make sense.
The programmer I bought not only deletes the DPF, but also the EGR function....
I appreciate your input....I'm just trying to put all this together, before I keep trial and erroring this to death....

Old 07-22-2014, 07:46 PM
rock_doctor
Senior User
You have a real mish-mash going on here. Since you are seeing regens then you have some version of something but you don't know what. The previous owner should have kept the tuner with the truck when they traded it in. If removing the tune and going back stops the smoke, then i don't see the egr plates fixing it. The truth is, with the dpf gone the truck should go into perpetual regen (on the oem software) and then it will go into limp mode. If it isn't doing that, then you are not using the stock program but if you are seeing the truck going into regen, then you have some version of the oem program. I don't know. The computer expects to see distinct temperature ranges on the three different egt sensors. With no dpf all of the temp sensors will be the same (with a dpf and cat delete, if only dpf delete the pre- and post- dpf sensors will be the same) plus it should smoke substantially while in regen (no dpf to burn the extra diesel)...

If the dpf is gone and it really is going into regen but not smoking or going into limp mode... Something funky is going on.

Try the plates but i don't see it making a difference.

The dealers must stand up and start demanding the tuners be kept with the trucks that are not running stock oem software. Just dumping the trucks on the wholesale market is unacceptable.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:39 AM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by rock_doctor
You have a real mish-mash going on here. Since you are seeing regens then you have some version of something but you don't know what. The previous owner should have kept the tuner with the truck when they traded it in. If removing the tune and going back stops the smoke, then i don't see the egr plates fixing it. The truth is, with the dpf gone the truck should go into perpetual regen (on the oem software) and then it will go into limp mode. If it isn't doing that, then you are not using the stock program but if you are seeing the truck going into regen, then you have some version of the oem program. I don't know. The computer expects to see distinct temperature ranges on the three different egt sensors. With no dpf all of the temp sensors will be the same (with a dpf and cat delete, if only dpf delete the pre- and post- dpf sensors will be the same) plus it should smoke substantially while in regen (no dpf to burn the extra diesel)... If the dpf is gone and it really is going into regen but not smoking or going into limp mode... Something funky is going on. Try the plates but i don't see it making a difference. The dealers must stand up and start demanding the tuners be kept with the trucks that are not running stock oem software. Just dumping the trucks on the wholesale market is unacceptable.
You can't have a dealer legally sell a vehicle that has had the emission system tampered with or removed, it's against the law. Unfortunately for the op he needs to battle this issue out with the dealer , and bring factual information to the table to get anywhere. If he suspects that the truck I was sold to him with modifications that are not legal then I think he has more than 2 legs to stand on....

Old 07-23-2014, 05:57 PM
rock_doctor
Senior User
I agree but the truth is, his issues are becoming more common. Right now across three diesel forums there are a half dozen threads all with unknown programming, full deletes and no tuners... You are right, the dealer should not be selling a vehicle that is not 50 state compliant.