2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

First Lincoln (but not first Ford vehicle)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 10:20 AM
Gr8Abe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Lincoln (but not first Ford vehicle)

Hello everyone,

I took the plunge and traded my '07 Audi A4 for a '08 Lincoln Navigator. I've had the truck for a month now and no regrets.

Needed a bigger vehicle for an expanding family (9-month old boy and another baby on the way).

In the brief time I've had the Navigator, I have some pros and cons (any input/comments are greatly appreciated):

PROS
Tons of storage and trunk space, especially with the 3rd row folded down
Comfortable ride
Cooled seats (I sweat a lot, TMI)
Rear entertainment
3rd row that actually seats adults comfortably

CONS
No ipod connection (AUX doesn't count, and sound quality through that is terrible)
No SYNC (am I missing anything? from what I've read in the threads, SYNC does have its issues)
Captains seats on the 2nd row (so far I have been less than successful in finding an elusive middle seat for the 2nd row)
No footrest (not a major issue, I'm used to one since my Audi was a manual)

I have some small/annoying issues with vehicle:
Both front windows, go up/down very slowly (I'm hoping it's just a matter of greasing the window tracks not a regulator replacement).
I don't know if there's something wrong with my navigation unit, but I can't use voice commands (it doesn't recognize any commands).

Again, any inputs/comments would be greatly welcomed. I have a big road trip coming up this Saturday, 900 mile round trip, and really looking forward to enjoying this "beast".

Old 07-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Torklift Sheryl
SPONSOR
Welcome to the site! You'll find a lot of useful information and insight here. Enjoy your trip!!
Torklift Sheryl

Torklift International – Towing, Suspension, Tie Downs, Steps
Call me direct: 1-800-246-8132
Visit our Blog: http://www.torklift.com/blog
Old 07-21-2014, 10:36 PM
rick chi-town-2
New User
Originally Posted by Gr8Abe
Hello everyone,

I took the plunge and traded my '07 Audi A4 for a '08 Lincoln Navigator. I've had the truck for a month now and no regrets.

Needed a bigger vehicle for an expanding family (9-month old boy and another baby on the way).

In the brief time I've had the Navigator, I have some pros and cons (any input/comments are greatly appreciated):

PROS
Tons of storage and trunk space, especially with the 3rd row folded down
Comfortable ride
Cooled seats (I sweat a lot, TMI)
Rear entertainment
3rd row that actually seats adults comfortably

CONS
No ipod connection (AUX doesn't count, and sound quality through that is terrible)
No SYNC (am I missing anything? from what I've read in the threads, SYNC does have its issues)
Captains seats on the 2nd row (so far I have been less than successful in finding an elusive middle seat for the 2nd row)
No footrest (not a major issue, I'm used to one since my Audi was a manual)

I have some small/annoying issues with vehicle:
Both front windows, go up/down very slowly (I'm hoping it's just a matter of greasing the window tracks not a regulator replacement).
I don't know if there's something wrong with my navigation unit, but I can't use voice commands (it doesn't recognize any commands).

Again, any inputs/comments would be greatly welcomed. I have a big road trip coming up this Saturday, 900 mile round trip, and really looking forward to enjoying this "beast".

Absolutely welcome to the dark side!! Funny story, as I just traded an '07 Audi A6 for my '08 Navigator as well! You will love this truck, this much I know. I'm on my 3rd, I had an '05 and a '10 Expy prior to this '08 Navi... all the issues and quirks aside. Unfortunately, you're kind of comparing apples to oranges in these two vehicles... my '07 A6 had the tech package, with iPod hook up. Audi has been at the forefront of technology for years, while Ford didn't really figure that one out until, I think 2010, which is when the Microsoft/Sync system made its debut. May have been late '09, not entirely sure. Sync includes voice activated nav, audio, phone, etc. Never really did understand what I was trying to say, don't miss it.

I've taken mine on prob 4 significant road trips already myself, and with a family of four, plenty of room. Would suggest you use your iPhone for any navigation functions, as the nav in '08 won't recognize any newer roads around... well, around anywhere. And from all of my web searches, there are not even any nav updates... thanks ford.

A couple more pieces of insight, the windows, yep, a common issue, bummer. there is a fix, search here. and I have a 2nd row middle seat in tan, if you'd like to chat, I'm in northern Illinois.
Cheers & again, welcome to the club
Rick

Old 07-22-2014, 12:37 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The windows being slow are pretty standard. Undersized motors. You can grease them, but unless there is major binding, it won't help.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:48 PM
pgonza2723
Senior User
08 I know the factory Navigation is dvd based. So if you are wanting to update the roads, etc etc you have to get a new DVD which isn't cheap.

$149 from:

Lincoln - Navigator L - 2008 - Ford, Lincoln and Mercury - North America Map DVD Version 13P -

Just had to replace the window regulator about a month ago. Not hard, but not fun either. Can try lubing but like berry says don't expect a world of difference.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:49 AM
Gr8Abe
New User
Originally Posted by rick chi-town-2
A couple more pieces of insight, the windows, yep, a common issue, bummer. there is a fix, search here. and I have a 2nd row middle seat in tan, if you'd like to chat, I'm in northern Illinois.
Cheers & again, welcome to the club
Rick
Thanks, if they were black, I'd definitely be interested. I still have some time to source one out (need to have that middle seat, by the time the 2nd baby arrives).

The window binding/being slow issue is an annoyance. My father drives an '09 E-250 work van, and his windows are slow as well. He says they've always been like this. So I guess it's something I'll have to get used to, but still will try greasing the tracks to hopefully ease the load/strain on the motor.

$150 for a navigation upgrade DVD is bit excessive. I've been doing some research on aftermarket units which would have everything I'm looking for (primarily bluetooth & ipod connectivity). Does anyone have have recommendations, under $1k?