2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Emissions Icon on dash and compressor noise - newby pls help

Old 02-02-2014, 09:38 PM
kooka7
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emissions Icon on dash and compressor noise - newby pls help

Hi All,
I hope you are well. I am a newby and new to the land of Expeditions. Hubby bought me an 07 Limited Expedition and after a few days of owning it have noticed that there is an ‘emmissions’ solid lamp on the dash.

I have also noticed that upon startup that there seems to be a compressor noise … I have looked at the service manual, trouble shooted and done some research within the forum and would like to ask….

Could anyone please recommend a reputable mechanic that you would trust your life with please?

We are currently in NE Calgary.

I am completely new here and country too (from AU)... use to own a landrover and that was fraught with issues and in the end became quite conversant... however with x5 little ones don't have the time to spend on nutting things out just yet so appreciate some contacts please...

thx in advance...

K7

Old 02-03-2014, 11:26 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would get it into a shop or at least a place that has a code reader and find out what codes are being thrown. Many auto parts stores will read them for free. A scanner can be had for $80 US if you can not find someone to read them for freee. It's a good tool to have.

Once you have the codes you can go from there. Without them anyone would be simply guessing what is causing the light to come on. I wouldn't continue to drive it though without finding out, you could be damagin your catalytic converters which are very expensive.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:39 PM
kooka7
New User
Hello,
Thanks for the reply. I've booked it in to be looked @ by Ford - 140$ it will cost me. I am sure it's something to do with the system most likely needing a good flush. Solid state = needs looking at. Blinking state = don't drive as damage can be caused to cat conv.

Their 120K service offer is in the 1k vacinity also and will most likely get them to do that too as there is absolutely nothing in the service log book and not even a dealer stamp... my cousin pointed me to the windowsticker site where I entered my VIN and a whole myriad of info came up that I would otherwise not have known!

We don't get these in Australia at all... so a good learning curve...

K7

Originally Posted by berry1234
I would get it into a shop or at least a place that has a code reader and find out what codes are being thrown. Many auto parts stores will read them for free. A scanner can be had for $80 US if you can not find someone to read them for freee. It's a good tool to have.

Once you have the codes you can go from there. Without them anyone would be simply guessing what is causing the light to come on. I wouldn't continue to drive it though without finding out, you could be damagin your catalytic converters which are very expensive.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:11 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Keep us posted. I am interested in seeing what caused this.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:36 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by berry1234
Keep us posted. I am interested in seeing what caused this.
I think she was saying motor ended up seizing on them. They are working with the used dealer they bought thru, but I don't know their outcome. I guess there were a few other underlying issues also that were not disclosed at purchase.
Welcome to Canada and the used car market.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:52 PM
kooka7
New User
Thx Wallz and berry 1234 for both your replies.... well... it's a long winded one...

scenario point form as follows + some elongated wind formed reply hahah:

-------------------------
UNIVERSAL FORD LINCOLN
-------------------------

1. hubby took truck into Universal Ford Lincoln (only taken there from recommendation from folk on the forum!!)....

2. In a nutshell... ford inspected the vehicle, found that the wiring loom was damaged with some under body frame damage. We were cognisant at time of purchase (based on car proof report) that vehicle had been stolen (from BC) but advised no damage as per car proof report (which we think is bollocks anyways now)... upon closer inspection by Ford, advised NOT the case!!

3. Fuel tank was dropped to further investigate and found very damaged wiring harness that in a nut shell had a less than back yarder job done to tape it back together (and I mean literally tape)... even I saw it and it was appalling... but didn't need to have fuel tank dropped to see that!!!

4. Whilst engine was hooked up for diagnosis... just to do that basic troubleshooting cost in the vacinity of $600...no rectification ... just troubleshooting on Fords part... !! I think we got shafted.

5. My husbands opinion of Ford... not alot as they should have seen the issue with the wiring without having taken out the petrol tank so we think we got shafted by them or had an inexperienced mechanic or just their philosophy of doing work that wasn't required.... either way... idiots... we won't ever be going back there again... they took us for a ride.... my husband built his engine (small block 400 in his FJ40 which the entire vehicle is in a container somewhere hitting the shores of canada soon) from the ground up and he is not inept... perhaps he should set those idiots right at universal ford... he has sworn to never go to them again!...

My husband is pretty good with character... and he just felt that they were the sort of people to rip you off, after the fact upon reflection! ... after the fact... and the rapport he had with the indepedent mechanic from the dealer we bought the car from was the opposite...that just says something!

--------------
CAR DEALER (+ ramblings LOL)
--------------

1. Once hubby had the service / mechanical / independent report from Ford... he then approached the dealership that we had purchased the vehicle from. We paid a little under 22K for this cash... so hubby was quite peeved to say the least... and rightly so....as he bought this for me and our 5 munchikins to do the school/kindy/playgroup/church and what ever else run etc...

The dealership was surprised at the findings as they use an independent party to certify all their vehicles... however... we left it with them for the day (today) so they could run their own tests and that of engine compression (engine compression failed from ford)...

Engine compression was found to be more than adequate (65%) and the wiring harness was all repaired, properly that is... each wire was individually traced back, and joined together and sealed appropriately. We have pictures and video of all of the work done too... that in itself says something about the mechanic.

We at this point in time have no further issues as far as errors cropping up on the dash. We have assurances from the dealer that if any crop up they will fix them.

The only thing we need resolved is the DVD but that is secondary...

They are cognisant that if anything crops up we will be lodging a complaint against amvic with them...

Hubby was more than happy with the work done to wiring harness and is happy that the dealership spent the time & money in rectifying these issues...ford only diagnosed and dealer fixed... so we won't be taking this one back to Universal Ford Lincoln any time soon, or ever! we got ripped off by universal and I personally am quite disgusted by that.

However... the same argument can be said for the dealers independent mechanic... however... we were told that the vehicle arrived at the 'lot' after the mechanical report and all was ok... so whether something went askew between that and reaching the actual dealer who knows... questionable...

The managing mechanic as he told us worked with them (universal) for quite some time and was quite disgusted that they charged us so much money for them to have not actually fix anything...

I know personally back home on my landrover... $600 would have got alot done and that's not even factoring in the diagnosis as that was all free (that's how most things work in AU)... so again re-iterate will NOT be going back to universal ford lincoln as their prices are simply too exhorbitant... and certainly question their work ethic.. & we felt got shafted by them.

On another note, I researched through the forum (thanks to Wallz providing some info) in obtaining the code for the door lock pad... when hubby enquired with Ford as to whether they could get that information at the same time given the system was hooked up to their diagnostic system already... we were told that was a different system... even I know that is a load of crap... so many thanks to the folk who posted about obtaining the code ... we may be new to the country but seriously we are not stoopid!

Live and learn I know... hubby is more than happy to take his FJ40 to the mechanic that repaired and resolved our expy issues... he will be sitting in the waiting room though (as if he will let any one run his small block FJ40 for a test LOL!)...if hubby is happy with the mechanicability of the expy and he feels that it is more than adequate as my run about with the kids, I am equally happy too...

If you are in Calgary and would like to know the mechanic we used, please PM me (I am assuming I have this functionality as I am new to the forum)

Eitherway, all sorted I hope.... I have arriving from Australia some window sox... not yet sure how they will hold up to the snow... but awesome eitherway. I had them on my landrover back home and swear by them.... just google them if you are wondering what the hec I am on about...

Cheers,
k7

Last edited by kooka7; 02-12-2014 at 12:09 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-12-2014, 11:44 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
What are you after with the window sox, shading the inside? All the rear windows are already tinted but you could always just tint them again, and tint the fronts. The sox seem like they would be annoying to deal with.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:23 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Tinting is the way to go for sure. Even peel and stick if you need to remove it.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:09 PM
kooka7
New User
not at all annoying... windows are already tinted ... there's just heaps of glare... I had the window sox on the landrover for about 5 years and basically put them on and forget - the only thing that killed those in the end were the harsh aussie summers... no hinderance at night either... I just left them on and perfectly legal and I know they work great for filtering out the UV rays for the little ones eyes.... AND they can't throw anything out the window LOL!

I think it will be trial and error to see how they hold up and willing to do that as I know they were great in AU.... and I can give my critique to the manufacturer!

Old 07-16-2014, 01:24 AM
kooka7
New User
Just an update, I've had the window sox on for a few months now.... I have seen enuf cars in my travels with kids in the back with those roller type suction shades where you can only roll down the window so much OR where there is no shade for them at all... where as compared to the window sox, no problems rolling the window all the way down AND getting UV protection for the kids .... more calgarians should consider them IMO... to me it's a no brainer! It's been a warm enuf summer... Uv rays whilst not blistering like AU are still enuf if you are not use to it....

Old 07-16-2014, 08:15 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Tinting is still the way to go for me. No muss, no fuss, no hassles and looks good forever. I tint all my vehicles, and when I was a fire chief I even titnted department vehicles that weren't mine.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:34 PM
kooka7
New User
Originally Posted by alwaysfords41
Tinting is still the way to go for me. No muss, no fuss, no hassles and looks good forever. I tint all my vehicles, and when I was a fire chief I even titnted department vehicles that weren't mine.
The extra dark tint looks awesome agreed.... if you ever see an expy with window sox wave your hand out the window I am sure it will only be me :-p....

Cheers,
kooka