1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Something to be said about these old trucks:)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 06:29 PM
TonyB55
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a good way to meet people, but if you're in a hurry to go to the hardware store and back home, you're better off taking something common like a Corvette

Old 07-20-2014, 07:51 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
I met a guy with 1950 fi with an express bed at the grocery store the other day, I still don't know if f1's came with that or not. I did go and look at it since it was just across the street. Has real skinny fenders on the rear.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:24 PM
r_reed
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i get quite a few thumbs up and questions about the flatrod II. they know it's a driver when i'm down at lowe's loading it up. the guy across from my friends house has 3 avanti's at his home. when i drive by, all his toddler grandson does is point at my truck. i told dan he needs to get a truck.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:55 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
A few years back, I was gassing up Missy Green, the '56, when this guy wheeled in behind me and just had to look that truck over. My old man had one just like it.
Ford script flatbed?
Yep, just like this one. In fact I still have the bed down in the woods out at the house
Wanna sell it?
[I]Yeah, I'd sell it. What's it worth?[/I]
I would have to look at it.
Here is my phone number, I am on my way to work and late. Gimme a call.
So after a couple phone calls, a couple trips, he cut the trees down and had a half dozen young guys carry the script flatbed and load it onto Missy Green. That script flatbed is now on Blue, the '49 F4.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:56 PM
F-1
Senior User
My biggest kick is acknowledging elderly seniors showing obvious admiration for my '48
F-1.. perhaps having a pleasant memorable moment.

I'll speak out, "You're too young to remember this truck"!
The shout outs I get back from them are hysterical and often heart warming.

Makes my day..God Bless Them.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:43 AM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
my neighbours wave at me all the time when they see me out working on the truck. They've been waving at me for a year now. Someday I'll actually get it out of the carport

Old 07-22-2014, 10:50 PM
56Effie
New User
My 56 is a driver. It has rust, dents and a bad paint job. I get thumbs up and waves all the time. One of the first times I took my 8 year old daughter for a ride I got a wave from someone I didn't know walking on the sidewalk. My daughter asked if I knew them. I told her how people like to wave at old cars/trucks. Now when we go cruising she counts the "thumbs ups" and when we get home she tells my wife the total.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:43 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Man this thread makes me want to get truck done even quicker! It's a 53 f250 that I'm turning into an every day ranch truck. I live on a small road outside of town, so the shop door is almost always open. I've had people drive by, see the unfinished truck, slam on their brakes, and come to take a look at it. Of course they take look at me and say," Where's the owner." And in response I say ,"Your lookin at him." They look a my in bewilderment and say," But your just a teenager. How can that be?" And I said," Your right. I'm sixteen. This truck is my first vehicle ever and I payed for every nut and bolt that has been put on it or that came with it. This truck is my passion and obsession and I don't think I'll get rid of it till many decades from now."

Old 07-23-2014, 11:41 AM
teardropty
Posting Guru
I have had similar experiences to most of you on here but one thing that really saddens me is the number of people that hardly notice. I recently took the 56 out on a nice sunny day. I had a few people give me a thumbs up or smile and wave. But a lot of people didn't even seem to notice. Sadly a lot of this younger generation (wow I sound old) care less and less about cars/trucks and as a result the classic truck hobby suffers. I also hate the guys that only care about how much horsepower I have under the hood and don't see the beauty of the curves and the countless hours spent restoring the truck. Maybe I am just in the wrong area. I live right down the road from where most of this stuff was built. Once in awhile an oldtimer will stop to take a look and tell me about the factory line. Wish more people liked old Ford trucks...

Old 07-23-2014, 12:01 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Good thread. This is what keeps me going with my truck. If I'm having a particularly weighty day I can get in the truck and go to town. Same story as above, people waving etc. I make sure and park wayyyy out in any parking lot and almost every time I come out of the store there is someone stopped looking at it which includes talking to me about it once I get there. I really enjoy it. Makes a nobody feel like a somebody...lol.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:32 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're not a no body! You're an FTE guy that saved a piece of history!!

Old 07-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Originally Posted by 49f3dls
You're not a no body! You're an FTE guy that saved a piece of history!!
Thank you kindly sir!

Old 07-23-2014, 02:51 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
always a question

When i take my truck to any local store i come out to see 2 or 3 guys standing near looking it over. One always has a story and one always has a question.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:08 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
But a lot of people didn't even seem to notice. Sadly a lot of this younger generation (wow I sound old) care less and less about cars/trucks and as a result the classic truck hobby suffers.
A lot of younger people can't afford to drive anything or, just barely. Average wages haven't really increased in decades, before they were born certainly. Taxes, registration, insurance, maintenance, repairs, and the price of fuel, coupled with the fact that new cars and trucks are expensive, and good used have become desirable - classic cars is a "rich man's" hobby. That's why.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 07-23-2014, 06:21 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,118 Likes on 2,648 Posts
Well I have certainly enjoyed the build of my panel and why I'm into my second build but it is really nice to know that all the work you have done also gives others pleasure. I took it out of town yesterday to get the front end allignment done at the dealership and pretty much everyone there came to look it over and say how much they liked it and on the way home had many waves and thumbs up. Every time I see them smile makes mine that much bigger

Quick Reply: Something to be said about these old trucks:)