6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2015 exhaust brake

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 01:11 AM
the_croz
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 F-450 Chassis Cab Lariat

As you all my have heard, the chassis cab has the lower HP/ Torque tuning (330hp/ 660 Ft lb. torque, when I ordered it I assumed it would have the 465/ 880 ft. lb tuning.. Nope..! I read about the 80 mph speed limiter as optional.. Nope..! it has it as well, I also though the Turbo exhaust brake would be included considering it is a commercial truck... Nope..! I did however notice behind the driver’s side 12V power socket panel there is the wiring harness and plug for the exhaust brake.. Is it possible that if I were to order the 12V socket panel with the exhaust brake switch and plugged it in that the brake will work..? Or would I have to take it to the dealer and have the eeprom flashed..? I had the turbo brake on my 06 duramax (LBZ) and it worked awesome. I liked the way it came on automatically when in tow/ haul mode and you lifted on the accelerator. Is there a way to enable the exhaust brake if not factory equipt..?

Old 10-02-2014, 02:42 AM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Your turbo is different from the one on the regular pickups. I don't think it would work.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:48 AM
the_croz
Freshman User
Cool 2015 exhaust brake

Bummer.. ThanX..

Old 10-23-2014, 01:20 AM
94ruck
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I am new to the engine brake diesels. at what point do I "engage" the engine brake button. isf i select it on will it work automatically or do i push it when i need to use it? the owners manual is very vague on this

Old 10-23-2014, 03:26 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you are towing, just press the button after you start the engine and the ECU will automatically engage the brake and release it as needed. It is most evident when you are in Tow/Haul mode with the transmission. I don't know if there is a way to manually engage and release. This is the way I do it anyway...
Yes the manual is very vague on this..

Old 10-23-2014, 08:14 AM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tow/haul turns the brake on automatically. If you are not in tow/haul and want to engage the brake, press the fart button. I will pop it on when some idiot decides to slam their brakes on in front of me and not use their turn signal. It's the fart button or a Ford emblem up their a..... It seems to work well in their favor.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:36 AM
pacnorwest
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sgt93
Tow/haul turns the brake on automatically. If you are not in tow/haul and want to engage the brake, press the fart button. I will pop it on when some idiot decides to slam their brakes on in front of me and not use their turn signal. It's the fart button or a Ford emblem up their a..... It seems to work well in their favor.
It did not work that way on my truck - unless I'm mistaken. . .
Tow Haul worked as usual.
Additional braking and and engine noise was obvious when the Engine Brake was electronically engaged with the dash button while in Tow Haul mode.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:18 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
The exhaust brake button on my 2015 toggles the EB ON and another press toggles it OFF. It is not a momentary contact where the exhaust brake is engaged only when pressing the button.
Also, there is very little racket / noise produced by the EB on my truck.. You can heard the muffled pffft pffft pffft as the EB kicks in..

Old 10-23-2014, 10:56 AM
pacnorwest
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From the diesel engine owners manual supplement:

Engine brakes suck. Exhaust brakes blow.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_braking vs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_brake

Old 10-23-2014, 08:58 PM
94ruck
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Yep, i read that very note and that was the most information i could find.Read all of the other provided information. Been a diesel owner for 22 years and farm diesel before that. Still wasn't provided enough good information to fully understand when to engage the engine brake.
So, it seems that it does not turn on automatically when the tow haul is selected and i need to engage the switch when i am ready to begin towing to use this feature when slowing/stopping. Otherwise, there is no other driver participation in the actuation of the device. It isn't going to hurt the vehicle if it is driven with the device selected whether towing or not? at what speeds does it work?
No, i am not planning on doing my daily driving with the engine brake on and i am preparing to tow my tt in a week then my 6x12 with my harley in it in 2 weeks. trying to get more acquainted with my equipment.
thanks for help fells, i am getting a little more info as we go!

Old 10-24-2014, 05:20 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 94ruck
Yep, i read that very note and that was the most information i could find.Read all of the other provided information. Been a diesel owner for 22 years and farm diesel before that. Still wasn't provided enough good information to fully understand when to engage the engine brake.
So, it seems that it does not turn on automatically when the tow haul is selected and i need to engage the switch when i am ready to begin towing to use this feature when slowing/stopping. Otherwise, there is no other driver participation in the actuation of the device. It isn't going to hurt the vehicle if it is driven with the device selected whether towing or not? at what speeds does it work?
No, i am not planning on doing my daily driving with the engine brake on and i am preparing to tow my tt in a week then my 6x12 with my harley in it in 2 weeks. trying to get more acquainted with my equipment.
thanks for help fells, i am getting a little more info as we go!
It just works seamlessly on my rig. When I hooked up to my toy hauler and put it in tow-haul mode, then pressed the EB Button, i just took off.. Set the cruise at 65 MPH and it would kick in itself coasting down steeper hills and kept the speed rock-solid at 65. When I would come off the freeway to a stop, it woould downshift itself and apply it's EB to slow me down and it was a really substantial rate of decelleration too! You can run it with or without a load, but it might slow you down faster than you would anticipate so be careful. I don't think it has the abilitiy to tell if you are hooked to a trailer or sense weight, but I would not be surprised if it did..
This truck is truly impressive.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:41 PM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by the_croz
I read about the 80 mph speed limiter as optional.. Nope..! it has it as well, I also though the Turbo exhaust brake would be included considering it is a commercial truck... Nope..!
This was going to be a question of mine. All I do is tow... and it would be nice to have better braking. You'd think out of all the trucks, the Chassis cabs would get them over the SRW trucks.
Now I'm bummed.

I'm not too concerned about the speed limiter though.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:02 AM
the_croz
Freshman User
The DRW F-450 Pickups get it.. Including the 440hp, 860 Ft Lb. I heard if the Chassis Cab got the same equipment the Motor and Transmissions might not be able to handle the constant pounding. I'm toting 15,500 lbs. 24/7 towing nothing.. I was sure disappointed to find I will have to live with 330 hp, 660 Ft. lbs. No Exhaust Brake (unless someone can figure out how or if it can be hooked up like my 06 LBZ Duramax) and the 80mph speed limiter. I get the safety part of it but sometimes it might take more than 80 mph to pass a vehicle.
Just Say-in

Old 10-26-2014, 07:33 AM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by the_croz
I was sure disappointed to find I will have to live with 330 hp, 660 Ft. lbs. No Exhaust Brake (unless someone can figure out how or if it can be hooked up like my 06 LBZ Duramax)
The problem is that there isn't a big enough crowd on here that has chassis cabs to figure that out. Unless you and I do it. Lol

Also, it better not void the warranty when I put a true aftermarket exhaust brake on my truck.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:11 AM
the_croz
Freshman User
Not likely.. Ford says..
"Even though the pickup and the dyno-cert share the same block, they are certified completely differently. The ratings of the chassis cabs fall into a whole different category based on GVWR. It’s a different engine, different turbo charger, different after-treatment, different*exhaust system, different EGR system, different*torque converter*- same block but different engine altogether." I can say that mine handles the LACK of power pretty well.. I still have this 2nd gear driveline vibration that goes from the top of 1st gear all through 2nd gear..? Two Ford techs say it's normal..? So I'm going forward with my Kelderman F-450/550 Cab and Chassis 4-Link Rear & Front Air Suspension with auto ride. This should take care of the stiff as hell ride.. My install appt is on the 4th.. I'm pretty stoked..