1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Stabilizer Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 04:02 PM
F250-Mike
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Stabilizer Question

Hello Folks, new diesel Ford owner here. I purchased the truck from a used car lot about 3 months ago and after driving for a few thousand miles I am feeling a slight wobble after hitting a bump in the road. Here is my truck set up;
- 2011 Ford Lariat F250 4X4 FX4 6.7 ltr
- 67400 miles
- Tires stock and great tread
- Rancho steering stabilizer kit
- Rancho Shocks
- Rear air bags

It does appear one of the rancho stabilizer dampers is leaking slightly. Why would the previous owner install a rancho stabilizer kit? Is it because of the rear air bags? I am not sure which direction to go here so all input is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:50 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Sounds like time to replace the stabilizers. If its a dual kit you'll either need the replacement shocks or to replace with a factory setup which is a single.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:41 PM
F250-Mike
New User
This has me puzzled, the single stabilizer is still in place. SO, essentially there is the single factory stabilizer plus the dual after market stabilizer rancho kit. I would like to keep it stock for the frontend sits up higher than the rear.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:37 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by F250-Mike
This has me puzzled, the single stabilizer is still in place. SO, essentially there is the single factory stabilizer plus the dual after market stabilizer rancho kit. I would like to keep it stock for the frontend sits up higher than the rear.
Load some pictures of this. Use a flickr or photbucket or something similar.

If I understand this you have a total of three stabilizer's across the axle?

Old 07-19-2014, 09:00 PM
Field Truck
Junior User
I had a similar issue of sorts with a 2012 f350 CC DRW off a Ford used lot. My cure was add a HD dampener, drop tire psi 45 to 60( settled on 60) and had a good shop align the front. Fixed me up fine.

What tires are you running? Max cold load and psi is? My front end weighed 4,960 or 2,480 per front tire....well below max load and psi. I dropped the psi to let the tires absorb some of the road shock. It made a difference.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:42 PM
F250-Mike
New User
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
Load some pictures of this. Use a flickr or photbucket or something similar.

If I understand this you have a total of three stabilizer's across the axle?
Here are pics taken today.
Ford F250 Photos by hotrod-sausage-king | Photobucket

Old 07-19-2014, 09:45 PM
F250-Mike
New User
Originally Posted by Field Truck
I had a similar issue of sorts with a 2012 f350 CC DRW off a Ford used lot. My cure was add a HD dampener, drop tire psi 70 to 45 and get a good shop to aligned the front. Fixed me up fine.
The truck drives fine, no issues with alignment however tire pressure at specs. When hitting a rough spot in the road I get the suttle shake of the wheel. I just don't have a clue why there are 3 steering stabilizers. I figured the experienced crew here could shed some light.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:14 PM
Old N Slow
New User
I think what you are feeling in the steering is what many describe as the death wobble. It seems to be inherent to these trucks and becomes worse when the trucks are lifted.
My 2012 has had it since new and so far is the primary complaint I have with this p/u.
I was attempting to install a ProComp Pro Runner dual stabilizer today and the instructions say removal of the OEM stabilizer is optional, this probably explains why it was left on your truck.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:48 AM
eberlestock
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
The previous owner put that kit on to help counter the effects of the steering wheel shake/wobble when hitting sharp edge bumps. I did this to my 2012 superduty shortly after buying it new and it helped a lot. If your are leaking, replace them and enjoy lees wheel shake. I know have 3 like you.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:16 PM
Field Truck
Junior User
The truck drives fine, no issues with alignment however tire pressure at specs. When hitting a rough spot in the road I get the suttle shake of the wheel. I just don't have a clue why there are 3 steering stabilizers. I figured the experienced crew here could shed some light.

As to alignment, I was not concerned with toe-in etc but I wanted to be dead certain all steering components were spec and tight(box, tie rod ends, etc) and not contributing to the problem. I was also at max cold psi which did not help.

For me, I made sure the front end was not worn from previous(owner)wobble, added a HD dampener and addressed tire psi. That eliminated my front end issue.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:19 PM
Field Truck
Junior User
Originally Posted by eberlestock
The previous owner put that kit on to help counter the effects of the steering wheel shake/wobble when hitting sharp edge bumps. I did this to my 2012 superduty shortly after buying it new and it helped a lot. If your are leaking, replace them and enjoy lees wheel shake. I know have 3 like you.

Originally Posted by Old N Slow
I think what you are feeling in the steering is what many describe as the death wobble. It seems to be inherent to these trucks and becomes worse when the trucks are lifted.
My 2012 has had it since new and so far is the primary complaint I have with this p/u.
I was attempting to install a ProComp Pro Runner dual stabilizer today and the instructions say removal of the OEM stabilizer is optional, this probably explains why it was left on your truck.
^^^ completely agree.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:59 PM
F250-Mike
New User
Bottom Line

Thanks for the help guys for this further reiterates what I was thinking but not 100% certain which direction I should take this. Bottom line;
- Keep the rancho damper stabilizer kit in conjunction with the stock one
- change the leaking rancho stabilizer damper
- drop tire air pressure from cold psi 70 to 45
- check front end alignment and steering components to insure no issues

I may just go ahead and replace the stock damper shock to the bilstein brand while I am under the frontend. Again thanks for all the input! You have provided much insight to the problem and for that I am grateful.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:51 PM
Field Truck
Junior User
Thanks for the help guys for this further reiterates what I was thinking but not 100% certain which direction I should take this. Bottom line;

- drop tire air pressure from cold psi 70 to 45

I may just go ahead and replace the stock damper shock to the bilstein brand while I am under the frontend. Again thanks for all the input! You have provided much insight to the problem and for that I am grateful.
Before you drop your psi do some home work. I experimented and ultimately settled on 60 based on tire rating and front end weight not to mention condition of tires.

What is your tire rating and condition? Being a used truck, like mine, be sure and verify. My front end weighed 4960/2 or 2480 per tire.....much less than tire max rating so I dropped psi and settled on 60. The actual math calculation is from a formula used by another Forum member and smart guy. I will look for it.

Keep us posted.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:56 PM
Field Truck
Junior User
Formula is below.

Originally Posted by meborder
tire pressure is highly individual and subject to opinion.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-guys-run.html

assuming you have a crew cab diesel, you are a little over 4100 lbs on the front axle empty. your tires should be rated to 3195 @ 80psi, so you should be able to run all the way down to 51psi safely IMO.

4100/2 = 2050 lbs per tire
2050/3195*80=51.3 psi

sometimes lowering pressure can help quite a bit. if it were my truck, i wouldn't be afraid to try it.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:07 PM
F250-Mike
New User
Update

Hello Ford owners!
Update since the discussion in July. Changed the dual rancho stabilizer kit. While removing the old one I found the following issues;
- the existing rancho dual stabilizer U-Bolts were tach welded on the differential
- the stabilizers were mounted on the outside of the mounting center bracket

I replaced with the Rancho 9000 series dual kit and mounted per instructions and also dropped the front tire pressure to 55 psi. Since the change I am happy to report the wobble has disappeared.

The only concern at this point is the front shocks (Rancho) appear to have the front of the truck raised slightly. While driving at night, I periodically get the flash of bright lights from on coming drivers. It appears the previous owner may have done this when the air bags were installed on the front as to level out the truck. I will go back with stock shocks soon.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizer Question