Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-30-2014, 11:00 AM
Posting Guru

robert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technologiq View Post
I would take the Ford hitch without a second thought.
Ditto. I doubt the engineers at Curt spent the time in design and development that Ford engineers did through the years. I haven't seen any numbers that can support that Curt is better than OEM, so OEM is what I'd personally go with.

I'm all for improvements over OEM, but I'm just not seeing it with the Curt. What's that old saying - you get what you pay for?

2000 Excursion Limited V10 4x4
F650 dash, Carlin Switches, extended rear lift gate struts, V code/Modded B code springs, AirLift Load Leveler 5000 air bags (rear) w/WirelessOne controller, UltraGauge
Kenwood Excelon, Phoenix Gold Ryval/2 10s, ETD Light Bar, Whelen Vertex rear HAW, Yaesu FT 7800, 2300/4600w inverter
Old 07-30-2014, 11:44 AM
Posting Guru

Apocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud of
llittle_llama
I hate to say it but I would go OEM on a hitch in a heartbeat. $130 isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.
Hellwig rear sway bar
18" F-350 wheels
Old 07-30-2014, 11:57 AM
Posting Guru

housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.
Well, I am impressed with the instruction sheet that Curt has made. It sure will make it easy to answer those questions on the board about how to remove a hitch. Check it out:

https://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrar..._14011_INS.PDF

Bion
2005 EXCURSION now called "ZOMBIE CRUSHER" by the kids. XLT V10 Silver More mods than I want to think about.... (see my gallery)
Ford Towing Guides click here Ford Owners Manuals Click here
Watch out for the Zombies.....
Old 07-30-2014, 04:44 PM
Posting Guru

housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.
The specs also list the Curt hitch at 64 lbs. I have a new Ford hitch (a spare) in the garage and weighed it. 52.5 lbs. I don't think it has 11.5 lbs of packaging. The curt may have thicker steel.

Wish I could get some measurements of the Curt steel.

Bion
2005 EXCURSION now called "ZOMBIE CRUSHER" by the kids. XLT V10 Silver More mods than I want to think about.... (see my gallery)
Ford Towing Guides click here Ford Owners Manuals Click here
Watch out for the Zombies.....
Old 07-30-2014, 10:49 PM
Elder User

Restlesswildman has a good reputation on FTE.Restlesswildman has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by housedad View Post
The specs also list the Curt hitch at 64 lbs. I have a new Ford hitch (a spare) in the garage and weighed it. 52.5 lbs. I don't think it has 11.5 lbs of packaging. The curt may have thicker steel.

Wish I could get some measurements of the Curt steel.

I will get some for you over the weekend! I wounder if I can get someone to sonic test the tube wall thickness....
2003 Ford Excursion 6.0L ,Scan Gauge II, FICMrepair.com ATLAS 40 repaired FICM, Blue Spring Mod, Cleaned and Resealed HFCM(not a mod, but it should be done if you have dirt in it!) SRL tune by Matt, HellWig Rear sway bar, LoadLifter 5000 air bags, Sinister Diesel Coolant Filter.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:56 PM
Post Fiend

EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
I'm sure the Curt one would work just fine, it's not like either one is going to come apart at the seams.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:01 PM
Post Fiend

EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross View Post
Ditto. I doubt the engineers at Curt spent the time in design and development that Ford engineers did through the years. I haven't seen any numbers that can support that Curt is better than OEM, so OEM is what I'd personally go with.

I'm all for improvements over OEM, but I'm just not seeing it with the Curt. [B]What's that old saying - you get what you pay for?[/B]
That's not always true, just stepping into the dealership is an expensive move. Some things have a big name but the quality isn't always there for a lot of reasons, and I have seen it many times.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:55 PM
Elder User

Technologiq is a splendid one to beholdTechnologiq is a splendid one to beholdTechnologiq is a splendid one to beholdTechnologiq is a splendid one to beholdTechnologiq is a splendid one to beholdTechnologiq is a splendid one to beholdTechnologiq is a splendid one to behold
Jlynnes
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXv10 View Post
That's not always true, just stepping into the dealership is an expensive move. Some things have a big name but the quality isn't always there for a lot of reasons, and I have seen it many times.
http://bit.ly/1rJBb7F

If you're towing little things the Curt is probably fine. I wouldn't trust it to pull any kind of serious weight.
2002 Ford Excursion XLT Premium 4x4 V10, Firestone Ride-Rites, '08 Mirrors, Powerstop: Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Performance Calipers & Ceramic pads, Flowmaster 70, Pioneer AVH-4000NEX, Alpine Components, Kenwood 300W amp, Sony 12" Sub, Viper Alarm & Remote Start, '05 Headlights & Grille, 5000k 55W Bi-Xenon Bulbs 64k
2013 Aspen Trail 2810BHS,
Old 08-02-2014, 10:22 PM
Elder User

Restlesswildman has a good reputation on FTE.Restlesswildman has a good reputation on FTE.
The mounting side plates look to be 1/4" thick. I have not put a set of calipers on them. I would assume the cross tube is also 1/4 wall.

The only difference I see is that it does not sit as close to the bumper as the OEM hitch. From my search on the net and a few quick calls, the OEM is damn near impossible to find. The Insurance company also said the same thing.

I will be towing 9k with it next week and will see what it feels like. If I am not happy with it, I will start looking for an OEM.

The biggest factor was I wanted a quick turn around time....I missed my EX and hated the rental car!
2003 Ford Excursion 6.0L ,Scan Gauge II, FICMrepair.com ATLAS 40 repaired FICM, Blue Spring Mod, Cleaned and Resealed HFCM(not a mod, but it should be done if you have dirt in it!) SRL tune by Matt, HellWig Rear sway bar, LoadLifter 5000 air bags, Sinister Diesel Coolant Filter.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:44 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technologiq View Post
Let me google that for you

If you're towing little things the Curt is probably fine. I wouldn't trust it to pull any kind of serious weight.
But they must have a weight spec for each one, and I'm not convinced just because a couple people complained. The true quality test is surviving for many years and they have grown very big and were named Manufacturer of the year twice in Wisconsin (I don't know by who). The more you have out there the more chance of failures and complaints. Not convinced at all.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Posting Guru

robert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputation
Quote:
But they must have a weight spec for each one, and I'm not convinced just because a couple people complained. The true quality test is surviving for many years and they have grown very big and were named Manufacturer of the year twice in Wisconsin (I don't know by who). The more you have out there the more chance of failures and complaints. Not convinced at all.
Wisconsin Manufacturer of the Year Program...Wisconsin Manufacturer of the Year > Home

Quote:
Program Information

Companies in Wisconsin make world-class products, create opportunities, and strengthen our communities. Past winners have used the Wisconsin Manufacturer of the Year award in their marketing and recruiting programs and have received positive media publicity. Award winners have come from all corners of the state and reflect the strength of Wisconsin's manufacturing heritage.
...so in other words, the Wisconsin Manufacturers & Commerce is a group sponsored in part by a lobbying group (https://www.wmc.org/) who's sole purpose is to promote commerce in Wisconsin. The award they won was one of nine issued this past year to businesses in Wisconsin.

The award simply means they were the best in Wisconsin - judged by what amounts to a chamber of commerce/lobbying group.

I'm sure they have a nice product (I have never owned a Curt hitch so I can't say if they are great or terrible), but I would also venture to say that the average Joe out there should not just consider an award such as this as meaning much. It's easy to get a lobbying group to give it's members an award...doesn't mean the product is somehow better than any other product out there.

I would agree with your statement:
Quote:
The more you have out there the more chance of failures and complaints.
...but I wouldn't pair that with
Quote:
named Manufacturer of the year twice in Wisconsin (I don't know by who).
...and expect the award to bolster the argument. Now, if an independent group (oh, I don't know, maybe JD Powers or similar?) that had no stake in commerce in Wisconsin or better yet, evaluated companies OUTSIDE of Wisconsin (oh, I don't know, maybe the entire US?) was to issue an award, then maybe I'd put some weight to that statement.

2000 Excursion Limited V10 4x4
F650 dash, Carlin Switches, extended rear lift gate struts, V code/Modded B code springs, AirLift Load Leveler 5000 air bags (rear) w/WirelessOne controller, UltraGauge
Kenwood Excelon, Phoenix Gold Ryval/2 10s, ETD Light Bar, Whelen Vertex rear HAW, Yaesu FT 7800, 2300/4600w inverter
Old 08-04-2014, 03:02 PM
Post Fiend

I would never spend money on anything that said Ford on it unless I had to. Names get bigger and bigger to the point where they raise their prices just because they can. I'm an aftermarket kind of guy. Even big names screw up, my new Microsoft ergonomic keyboard has such a big design flaw they told me to just keep it and my money when I went to ship it back............but I fixed it. (Free expensive keyboard).
Old 08-04-2014, 05:12 PM
Postmaster

Bigpipes 35 has a brilliant futureBigpipes 35 has a brilliant futureBigpipes 35 has a brilliant futureBigpipes 35 has a brilliant futureBigpipes 35 has a brilliant futureBigpipes 35 has a brilliant futureBigpipes 35 has a brilliant futureBigpipes 35 has a brilliant futureBigpipes 35 has a brilliant futureBigpipes 35 has a brilliant futureBigpipes 35 has a brilliant future
Quote:
I'm an aftermarket kind of guy.
That's why you love Warn hubs and Redhead steering boxes so much, right Brent..
2000 f150 4x4 work truck 4.6 AKA Martha
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/...es35/truck.jpg
Old 08-04-2014, 06:21 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpipes 35 View Post
That's why you love Warn hubs and Redhead steering boxes so much, right Brent..
Both of mine are stock and working fine but Warn is useless and Redhead charges extra to pay for more Hype...........no to both.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Senior User

Magnus E has a very good reputation on FTE.Magnus E has a very good reputation on FTE.Magnus E has a very good reputation on FTE.Magnus E has a very good reputation on FTE.
Got my RedHead steering box today
Old 08-04-2014, 07:25 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs