1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.4 Rebuild to increse HP

Old 08-22-2014, 06:46 PM
SLOPhil
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 Rebuild to increse HP

I need some help I have an 05 F250 5.4 with 240K on it. I have low comperssion i n #3 & 4. I'm thinking rebuild time. I want to increase the HP, but have never work on these modular engines. If it was a 351, i'd be fine.
1. Does anyone make a 5.4 3v 500HP crate engine?
2. If no to #1, who does resonable performance rebuilds? I'm in Portland OR, but will ship if thats best.
3. Is there a 5.4 guru out there somewhere with wisdom?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Phil

Old 08-22-2014, 06:55 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Problem with the 5.4 is the stock plastic intake flows like drying cement. And no one makes a better flowing one, so even if you did bettter crank pistons cams etc the intake still wont flow enough. A turbo or supercharger would work but again no aftermarket support, a few people have added the f150 kits to the super duty but the power increase was not worth the time and money. Best thing for a 5.4 is GEARS period! After that a V10 or cummings swap..... I hopefully plan on doing a cummins swap to my 2004 F350 with 5.4

galaxy S4 using IB AutoGroup

Old 08-23-2014, 07:53 AM
skymanr
Junior User
Oh they make them lol. It'll cost you but check this out. http://www.modularmotorsportsracing....20manifold.htm

Old 08-23-2014, 08:03 AM
skymanr
Junior User
another one http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...navigator.html

I know it's mustang stuff and it's losing low end torque but it's what you have to work with. Without spending tons of money it's hard to get a reliable daily driver with 500 hp.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:12 AM
SLOPhil
New User
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
Problem with the 5.4 is the stock plastic intake flows like drying cement. And no one makes a better flowing one, so even if you did bettter crank pistons cams etc the intake still wont flow enough. A turbo or supercharger would work but again no aftermarket support, a few people have added the f150 kits to the super duty but the power increase was not worth the time and money. Best thing for a 5.4 is GEARS period! After that a V10 or cummings swap..... I hopefully plan on doing a cummins swap to my 2004 F350 with 5.4

galaxy S4 using IB AutoGroup
Thank you for your input, it is helpful.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:43 AM
SLOPhil
New User
Seem like the only HP stuff is for the Mustang. Is there really nothing for truck?

Old 08-23-2014, 11:00 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
A lot of the performance parts for the 5.4l 2V and 3V are for lighter vehicles. If you go naturally aspirated you can do head work, cams, increase compression and etc but you will end up with an engine that likes the upper rpm range and sacrifice torque.

A better direction for a truck IMO would be to rebuild it to stock, throw on a set of headers and a custom tune. OR put in some forged internals to set it up for some boost and put on a supercharger meant for an F-150 with a good tune. Either way you will end up with an engine with a powerband a heavy truck will be ok with. The modulars respond nicely to forced induction.

Ford used to offer a 5.4l SVT crate engine which was 550hp and cable of a lot more. I think they may even made a 5.8l version too.(stroked 5.4l) But they were discountinued.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=11985

Old 08-23-2014, 11:19 AM
SLOPhil
New User
Originally Posted by dkf
A lot of the performance parts for the 5.4l 2V and 3V are for lighter vehicles. If you go naturally aspirated you can do head work, cams, increase compression and etc but you will end up with an engine that likes the upper rpm range and sacrifice torque.

A better direction for a truck IMO would be to rebuild it to stock, throw on a set of headers and a custom tune. OR put in some forged internals to set it up for some boost and put on a supercharger meant for an F-150 with a good tune. Either way you will end up with an engine with a powerband a heavy truck will be ok with. The modulars respond nicely to forced induction.
DFK
I have been thinking of a supercharger to get the power but I'm not sure it is the best bang for the buck. I dont want a high RPM racer, just a good strong truck.
Would a stock crate engine with a supercharger be the way to go? I'm sure the warantee on th eengine we be voided th emoment the super wnet on. Unless there is a crate engine builder that builds for a super charger.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:50 AM
MC5C
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want low rpm power the two ways to get it are supercharger and displacement. Even a turbo needs high rpm to really work. Since you're not really going to get a 5.4 big enough to really make a difference, the only real route is supercharging. Gas engines are really kind of hard to make real HP gains to these days without getting into higher RPM bands.

Brian

Old 08-23-2014, 01:52 PM
SLOPhil
New User
Originally Posted by MC5C
If you want low rpm power the two ways to get it are supercharger and displacement. Even a turbo needs high rpm to really work. Since you're not really going to get a 5.4 big enough to really make a difference, the only real route is supercharging. Gas engines are really kind of hard to make real HP gains to these days without getting into higher RPM bands.

Brian
Brian
I'm getting the picture that the supercharger is the way to go.

My thoughts now are how to rebuild the engine or get a create engine. Do I get better flow heads, headers & exhaust in addition to the standard rebuild? Cams??

Just not sure how best to get a good reliable power plant.

I'm open to all thoughts on this.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:09 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SLOPhil
DFK
I have been thinking of a supercharger to get the power but I'm not sure it is the best bang for the buck. I dont want a high RPM racer, just a good strong truck.
Would a stock crate engine with a supercharger be the way to go? I'm sure the warantee on th eengine we be voided th emoment the super wnet on. Unless there is a crate engine builder that builds for a super charger.
The stock bottom end will handle 5-6 psi or so from a roots blower however it would be good to have at least some forged rods.

Another option would be to swap the 5.4l out for a 6.8l 3V from an 05-10' super duty. The 362hp and 457tq will be a nice increase in power with no decrease in reliability.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:16 PM
DavidB
Elder User
An intercooled supercharger would give you the best option for the type of performance that you are asking for.

Here is one choice.
ProCharger Supchargers for Trucks

Do your research and pick what best suits your goal.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:48 PM
AAubinoe
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by skymanr
another one Page 2 - Lincoln Navigator Intake Manifold - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

I know it's mustang stuff and it's losing low end torque but it's what you have to work with. Without spending tons of money it's hard to get a reliable daily driver with 500 hp.
That first picture says its a navigator intake. Wonder if that would be a very hard swap. If anything you would be getting an aluminum intake (like the 6.8L super duty) instead of plastic. On the other hand the plastic intake holds up fine.

Originally Posted by dkf
The stock bottom end will handle 5-6 psi or so from a roots blower however it would be good to have at least some forged rods.

Another option would be to swap the 5.4l out for a 6.8l 3V from an 05-10' super duty. The 362hp and 457tq will be a nice increase in power with no decrease in reliability.
How hard is this swap? Would a 2v V10 be an easier to wire up? How do the engine cross members/ cradles compare between the factory V8 and V10 trucks? Same transmission correct?

Was dead set on a 12v I6 cummins diesel to create a 'fully mechanical' truck that I could tune for good economy, however a V10 swap could be more economical in other ways.