Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > Nite, Nascar & Other Limited Edition Ford Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2014, 01:35 PM
FTE Editor

edtahaney is starting off with a positive reputation.
Trophy Truck Transmission Tuner Recalls Enduro Racing Days

By now I expect most Trophy Trucks can do this. Nobody was even close back then.

As one of the team support people I got to go to a lot of races. One memorable race was the 1994 Baja 1000. Dave and Dan led most of the race and won it by a pretty good margin. I spent about 24 hours in one of the chase trucks on the radio keeping up with our truck and the competition, and keeping the team owner up to date on where everybody was.

One race that I wasn't at had a failure. The transmission coolers were in the bed of the truck and two large electric fans. The fans quit and the support team couldn't fix them. They had to run without transmission cooling. The trans temp gauge only went to 320 F. It was pegged for almost the entire race. They kept going and won their class.

After the race the trans was shipped back to us in Michigan for a teardown. The teardown showed no major problem with the transmission. The fluid (Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF) was a bit dark, but not black. The solder had melted out of each of the solenoids and was sitting in the pan! Solder melts at 450 F. The trans had to be at least that hot for that to happen. So when people on the boards tell me their trans is going to fail if it goes above 200 F I don’t believe them!

Later the team moved to a Ford built 5.4L 4V with a TorqShift transmission. I was already off doing other things and never worked on that truck.

Read more here:

Trophy Truck Transmission Tuner Recalls Enduro Racing Days | Ford Trucks

What's your favorite Ford Trophy Truck?
Old 07-21-2014, 01:38 PM
Postmaster

stuart1 has a good reputation on FTE.stuart1 has a good reputation on FTE.
While 200 is warm it is not THAT warm.

Normal operating temperature is around 175.

Temperatures leaving the convertor are hottest and will scare the chit out of you.

Up to 400 plus.

Even if fans were not working fluid was still being circulated in the coolers.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:38 PM