1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look for in a 99 F250 SD

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 07:41 AM
bowesmobile
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to look for in a 99 F250 SD

I'm going to look at a '99 F250 super duty tonight. Its a 5.4L extended cab auto., W 232K on it. Needs a couple things like a rear brake line and it has an exhaust leak behind the muffler (its an opportunity to put a nice free flowing exhaust on). Plus the owner told me it needs a new center support for the driveshaft. He said it makes a sqeaking noise. But said everything else works fine. My question is what should I know and look for on this truck?

Old 07-18-2014, 07:50 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Power door locks seem to go weak to inoperative, but there are many documented fixes here on FTE.
Power windows start really slowing down a lot and drawing a lot of current.
Not sure about the 5.4, but Spark Plugs can be a bugger to replace and some have been known to strip the threads out of the heads.
Exhaust manifold leaks at the heads are indicative of missing/broken studs which can be a real PITB to fix - sometimes requiring the heads to be removed.
If it is a 4x4, make sure that the front hubs lock and unlock alright and that the transfer case is not leaking and functional.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:16 PM
rockcrusher 24
Freshman User
broken front leaf springs,brake calipers sticking,fuel return lines rusting thru,brake lines rusting,air cond clutch not working,bottoms of doors rusting,bed supports rotted,fuel filler rusting through,just sayin,but hey I love my my sd anyway.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:30 PM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Find out the manufacture date on the door sticker to see if it is an early 99 or late 99. If I remember correctly, March of 99 is the dividing line. The front brake and hub assemblies are different (and more expensive) on the early 99's, BUT you can upgrade to the later components like I did. Track bar and brackets are different also, so if your plans include lifting/leveling, its good to know what you are dealing with.

If you go to change your spark plugs, follow instructions you can find on this site and TORQUE THEM PROPERLY TO SPEC. Plug blowouts on these motors are directly related to improper torque- you don't ratchet them down tight like you could on the old V8's.
250,000 miles on my early-99 2v and no plugs have been puked...

Old 07-18-2014, 11:19 PM
bowesmobile
Junior User
Good advice guys! I looked at it, Needs a tune-up, no codes are stored. But the battery was dead so no real telling there until it gets driven. The passenger side door doesn't latch. The latch is open but it doesn't snap shut to hold the door closed. I dont like that. Needs a whole exhaust and a real good cleaning. Its a total work truck with the rubber flooring. I'm going to want to get carpet since my family will ride in it. But the thought of hosing out the interior after they ride in it is entertaining. Its 2wd and I would like to swap it over to a 4wd. My question is do they have manual transfer cases for these? Or are they mostly the electronic crap? I've sourced a D60 locally with 3:73's for $575. It has all the steering arms attached so the swap over seems on the front end to be easy. But I know somewhere there will be a problem...LOL!

I made him a respectable offer and he wants to let three other guys take a look and make an offer. He said if mines the highest I get it. I hope none of them show up, lol. Anyhow, its good to get all this info and thanks again guys!

Old 07-19-2014, 08:18 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you were looking more for a project than a truck you could use right away...
That is a lot of work to do a conversion....

Old 07-19-2014, 08:51 AM
2zwudz
Freshman User
These trucks are natorius for needing front end work and its not cheap. I just had mine done including a leveling kit....$1600.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:33 AM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bowesmobile
The passenger side door doesn't latch. The latch is open but it doesn't snap shut to hold the door closed. I dont like that.
No biggie- WD-40 or PB blaster usually gets it working again, if not the latch mechanism is plentiful and cheap in most salvage yards.

Its a total work truck with the rubber flooring. I'm going to want to get carpet since my family will ride in it.
I've had many trucks with carpet and my current truck has rubber. With the knowledge that family rides in mine, I'd never go back to carpet!!!

But the battery was dead
Needs a tune-up
Needs a whole exhaust
I hope you're getting a deal that reflects the work you'll have to do. Don't pay top-dollar price.

Its 2wd and I would like to swap it over to a 4wd. My question is do they have manual transfer cases for these? Or are they mostly the electronic crap? I've sourced a D60 locally with 3:73's for $575. It has all the steering arms attached so the swap over seems on the front end to be easy.
4x4 conversions usually get you the following response here- "If you want a 4x4, you would be better off buying a 4x4." In most cases, this statement is true. While the Super Duty does make it easier in the respect that the same frames are used and everything is technically a bolt-on, you have to consider the money you'll have in it- a front axle (make sure the ratio matches what you have in the rear), leaf springs, front driveshaft, transfer case, transmission (they are different), steering, track bar mount, various brackets, hooking it all up and making the electronics like it... unless you are getting an obscene steal on the truck, you'll likely come off way cheaper buying a truck that is already a 4x4.

That said, in 99, you could get either an electronic transfer case or a manual one.

Also take note of WHICH 99 you have- there is an "early-99" and a "late-99" with March being the dividing line. If you have an early-99, do your conversion with late-99 parts! Trust me, it will save you money and anything aftermarket (like a lift) will be easier to find.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:51 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Well looks like a lot of it has been covered.
Find out where it has spent most of it's life.
If it lived in the rust belt then you need to look
deeper to see how much hidden rust pockets
it has. Also any missed/ignored maintenance.
Does the transmission's cherry juice look and smell
more like burnt coffee?

Sean

Old 07-26-2014, 10:12 PM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
Rust- good point, Yahiko.

Check the bed's cross supports- that is a common one on these trucks. As is tops of the rear fenderwells and the back side of the door sill structure under the cab.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:20 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Its a total work truck with the rubber flooring. I'm going to want to get carpet since my family will ride in it. But the thought of hosing out the interior after they ride in it is entertaining.

Either way you go, it's $179 to replace carpet, $195 to replace vinyl. Neither is really a huge expense, about a tank of diesel for a lot of people now. If you don't like what comes in the truck, switch it out. After 15 years it might need new vinyl anyways.

Superduty Extended Cab Front Vinyl Floor Cover Black
1999-2008 Ford Super Duty/F-250/F-350/Excursion Extended Cab

Originally Posted by Psyclopse
4x4 conversions usually get you the following response here- "If you want a 4x4, you would be better off buying a 4x4." In most cases, this statement is true.
I think this used to be the prevailing wisdom because every Super Duty ever made was still a fairly new vehicle, most under 10 years old and ALL under 15 years old. So a 4x4 conversion was actually destroying residual value, especially in the oldest models with 7.3s that people covet for the motor, and there were plentiful 4x4 options for similar cost in the same generation of truck. Now that the original trucks are starting to hit bottom value regardless of powertrain, options, etc, and they aren't really distinguishable from the OBS trucks, and a 4x4 swap is just parts cost, nothing else. If you get a solid '99 that's set up how you want it, and donor 4x4 might be cheaper than buying a truck with a 4x4 powertrain and a donor truck for trim parts, or upgrading the trim separately. When you're talking 08+, maybe even 05+, the conversion probably doesn't make sense, but for the older SDs, cost wise it's starting to become more of a viable option.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:29 AM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
If you want a 4wd get one. Don't try and convert IMO...mines a 3/3 98. Love it.