Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BRONCO II ARE BRONCOS?

Old 07-17-2014, 10:15 PM
86fordbronco_ii
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BRONCO II ARE BRONCOS?

Someone had argued with me about Bronco ii's not being Broncos. We all know they are smaller than the full sized Broncos and designed based off of the Rangers but what is that supposed to mean...they're NOT Broncos?

Old 07-17-2014, 11:43 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
A Bronco II is just that, a Bronco II. It was developed by Ford to soon replace the Bronco. Which didn't happen, quite the reverse.

Just like Ford introducing the new greatly-downsized 1983 Ford LTD and Mercury Marquis to soon replace the full-size cars, which they decided to keep around "for just a couple years" renaming the full-size cars the Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis. But the market didn't take to the new little ones, they soon died out, sales on the big ones were good, and the big ones went on for almost 30 more years of sales.

It's not a Bronco. It's a Bronco II. We have a forum here for Bronco IIs. Some people like them, that's fine. Nothing wrong with that.

Now go as a newby with your first post onto a classic Mustang site, and ask them about a Mustang II and Mustang...

Old 07-18-2014, 12:59 AM
86fordbronco_ii
New User
Originally Posted by Torky2
A Bronco II is just that, a Bronco II. It was developed by Ford to soon replace the Bronco. Which didn't happen, quite the reverse.

Just like Ford introducing the new greatly-downsized 1983 Ford LTD and Mercury Marquis to soon replace the full-size cars, which they decided to keep around "for just a couple years" renaming the full-size cars the Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis. But the market didn't take to the new little ones, they soon died out, sales on the big ones were good, and the big ones went on for almost 30 more years of sales.

It's not a Bronco. It's a Bronco II. We have a forum here for Bronco IIs. Some people like them, that's fine. Nothing wrong with that.

Now go as a newby with your first post onto a classic Mustang site, and ask them about a Mustang II and Mustang...
Except that didn't make sense

Old 07-18-2014, 05:02 AM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have owned 3 mustang II's . All 3 were good cars. Of course it helped they were all v-8 powered. The last 1 I replaced the 302 with a 351 that had quite a bit of good head work done to it. That 1 would smoke most mustangs,camaros,vettes and nearly everything else that wahted to try it.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:05 PM
jasoncarpenter1
Senior User
Its a bronco if its 4x4 and has a removable top.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:57 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jasoncarpenter1
Its a bronco if its 4x4 and has a removable top.
AND doesn't have the chevy emblem on it

Old 07-28-2014, 11:24 AM
Thunderhorn
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Torky said it just about right.
The answer is NO! Bronco II's are NOT [Broncos]... They are [Bronco II's]
Yes they are in the Ford Bronco family so to speak, but specification is necessary because if you have a Bronco II, you should always include the "II" in conversation. Otherwise It would be like saying a Ford Ranger and a Mazda pickup are the same thing just because they are incredibly similar.
Or how about: Jack Brown (Bronco II) and Jim Brown (Bronco) are brothers, so since they have the same last name and are similar, lets just call them both Jim... But you wouldn't do THAT would you? Whatever the answer YOU CHOOSE do believe is your right answer. Chances are you wont change your mind and you wont change anyone else's mind.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:33 AM
AbandonedBronco
Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Well said, Thunderhorn. I find it irritating when Bronco II owners say they have a Bronco. Simply, straight up, they don't. They have a Bronco II. A Bronco is a completely different vehicle altogether. They're a different size, different engines, different everything. There are virtually no parts that interchange. They're two completely separate vehicles. About the only similarity they have is the fact that they're 4x4s.

It's like having a Ford Explorer and saying you have an Expedition. You don't.

They just happened to call it a Bronco II, which makes it confusing.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:11 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
Originally Posted by Thunderhorn
It would be like saying a Ford Ranger and a Mazda pickup are the same thing just because they are incredibly similar.
That's a bad analogy here because those 2 vehicles actually are the same.. came right down the same assembly line at the factory. The only differences are the front clip and a few dress up items, everything else is 100% interchangable with a Ranger.

I'd agree with the Bronco II not being a Bronco though, just like a minivan is not a full size fan. That's not to say the BII is a bad vehicle though I think it makes for a better offroad vehicle than it's full size brother where smaller and lighter is your friend.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:30 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The analogy is this,
Ranger is to F150, as Bronco2 is to Bronco.
Or
Ranger is to bronco2 as F150 is to Bronco

Rangers and bronco2s are more similar than fullsize broncos.
But how about throwing in the early bronco also. Not much similar there other than the 302 and narrowed 9" and d44. (Comparing it to the fullsize) I consider the early bronco the best.

But while the B2 has the name. "Bronco" in it, it's not a bronco. It's a short ranger with a whole lot of glass.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:27 PM
Slasher
3rd Gear
Smile

Hmm an early bronco was an overbuilt off-road er by design....a
78-79 were swb versions of the f100/150
80-96 were swb version of the f150...

So common thought is that if I it is built on the halfton chassis and has a removable top... It is a bronco....

A bronco 2 is built off the smaller lighter ranger chassis...

Cameron Diaz Is built on a female frame, RuPaul off a male frame.... Both have cleavage, but they definitely aren't built on the same the chassis or similarly equipped!!!! One came equipped one way... The other was converted to suits the desires of the owner to how it was not originally equipped....

So yeah, I'd consider a bronco II a bronco II... Not a Bronco.... But I know plenty of bronco II wheelers that have been built well enough to embarrass a bronco, so I am not knocking a bronco II....

Not knocking or saying it is any less... Just they are different chassis and built for different purposes....

They just ain't the same....

Old 08-01-2014, 06:48 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would agree with those that say no. I had a bronco 2 and there were things I liked about it(turning radius, actual door on the back, fold down flat back seat for more sleeping room), but it is not even close to the same as the full sized bronco.