Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2014, 01:22 AM
Senior User

DanielT28 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Engine oil temperature ?

So on our 7.3s there's a gauge on the dash with an oil picture and a L and H. Is that for temperature ? Or oil pressure ?

I've always thought it was oil pressure and I hope it is.

Anyway my point is that I've owned my truck nearly 3 years and the guy I bought it from put a tri pod pillar gauge in it. It has pyro on top. Boost in middle . And "engine oil temp" on the bottom. The engine oil temp isn't hooked up. Never has been. So my question is could I set up that gauge somehow easily ? And is there any point because like I said not sure if the one on the stock gauge cluster is for oil psi or temp. That's all. Thanks guys. !

Oh and it's a zf 5. No need for a tranny temp gauge.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:35 AM
Posting Guru

BruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to behold
Stock is pressure.

You'll need to add a sender for oil temp.

Oil temp in the ZF5 is important to if you tow a lot.
“If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ―Samuel Adams
Old 07-17-2014, 01:35 AM
Posting Guru

FI460 has a very good reputation on FTE.FI460 has a very good reputation on FTE.FI460 has a very good reputation on FTE.
That's pressure on the dash. I think it's just a yes or no sensor. You either have oil pressure or you dont.

I also think there's a plug somewhere near the oil filter that can be used for your oil temp. Both just things I think I remember reading. Someone here can clarify I'm sure .

Edit: Bruteford beat me to it.
1997 F-350 4x4- White, CCLB, 7.3l, ZF5 swap, 35" toyo MT's, 4.10, RiffRaff 6637, 5" Straight Pipe
Old 07-17-2014, 01:24 PM
Senior User

I was Reading that the plug on the oil filter housing place. Isn't actually correct temperature because it's already cool when it hits that point because it runs thru the oil cooler ? Or something rather.

And ya I do tow quite a bit of scrap metal and cars. So it probably wouldn't hurt to have a tranny temp gauge.

But what's more beneficial.? The engine oil temp gauge since I already have it !? Or tranny temp ?
Old 07-17-2014, 01:25 PM
Senior User

It's just not hooked up yet
Old 07-17-2014, 05:09 PM
Postmaster

madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.
You can monitor oil temp via the PCM, with any device that communicates with our trucks o the OBD-(not-quite-)II port.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:41 PM
Senior User

Hmm ok. . But how about hooking up a mechanical gauge like I already have ? I'll post a pic of it.
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:52 PM
Post Fiend

helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.
I have my temp gauge on a rotary switch right now I have engine water temp, transmission temp (5 speed) and rear axle temp ( I am having issues with rear axle sending unit, it never moves the needle and I know it has been over 100 Degrees.)
have plans to add oil temp but haven't yet
Old 07-19-2014, 09:32 PM
Post Fiend

FORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud of
ideally you have a bung welded to your pan for your sending unit Daniel.mines like yours still...there but not hooked up yet lol!
i was able to use a point and shoot tool to figure out oil temps were the cause of my coolant spikes on the hills.i installed an aux oil cooler and it did the trick.cured what ailed her.i then bought an oil gauge because id like to monitor it,but still need a bung for the pan.
the issue is,you really should (much less dangerous lol) remove the pan from the truck rather than trying to weld on the pan while in the truck still on the engine.
there's really no other "decent enough" place to get your oil temp readings either,than right mid way of the pan.
♠ Log Truck: '93 F-Super Duty (F450) XLT 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 5:13, Dually, 16' Dump & Auto Crane ♠
♠ Chip Truck: '93 F250HD XLT 4x4 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 3.55, Dually, 9' Dump, & Plow ♠

Old 07-20-2014, 02:07 AM
Posting Guru

BruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT View Post
ideally you have a bung welded to your pan for your sending unit Daniel.mines like yours still...there but not hooked up yet lol!
i was able to use a point and shoot tool to figure out oil temps were the cause of my coolant spikes on the hills.i installed an aux oil cooler and it did the trick.cured what ailed her.i then bought an oil gauge because id like to monitor it,but still need a bung for the pan.
the issue is,you really should (much less dangerous lol) remove the pan from the truck rather than trying to weld on the pan while in the truck still on the engine.
there's really no other "decent enough" place to get your oil temp readings either,than right mid way of the pan.
Several companies sell oil temp senders that replace your drain plug. IDK if there's one that fits but might be worth a look.
“If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ―Samuel Adams
Old 07-20-2014, 08:18 AM
Post Fiend

oldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
You can monitor oil temp via the PCM, with any device that communicates with our trucks o the OBD-(not-quite-)II port.
x2^^^^^^ love mine!

Aeroforce Technology Inc | Products - Interceptor
The Mare 97 dually cc,modified s366 turbo,stage II's,IC,studs,springs,rods,JW auto,4:10 LS,air bags,SD uvch,efuel,FS2500 bypass oil filter,HVHF IDM,IH WP,6.0 trans cooler & rad fan,MBRP 4",SD tensioner,AFE air filter,220 amp alt,38 gal rear tank & 33 gal aux bed tank,aux oil cooler,soundproofed,3 different TS chips,ac cold mod,XS batteries,riffraff hpop reservoir,aluminum radiator,HoneyBadgerJr hpop, water injection
Old 07-20-2014, 04:26 PM
Posting Guru

BBslider001 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbird1965 View Post
X3!! I have had an Edge Insight CTS and I really like it. It works pretty well and monitors just about any parameter you will need.
1997 F-350 CC Dually, 7.3 PSD, E4OD, 6637 Intake, Straight 4" Stainless Exhaust, 3" DP, Bellowed Uppies by Re-Billd, E-Fuel by Re-Billd, Rotella 15w-40 with Motorcraft Filter, EDGE Insight CTS, John Woods E4OD HD, TS Chip, 213k Miles

2011 34' Sundance by Heartland TT (10,700#)
Old 07-20-2014, 04:26 PM