Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2014, 11:51 PM
Freshman User

mikeycars is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unhappy HELP!!!

My 03 6.0 started studdering and lost power going down the road, then died and won't start back. I was told more than likely the irp valve. I bought a socket, pulled the valve to check the screen and there was no screen on it. Ran a magnet in the hole, nothing. No trash, no nothing, no screen. I thought all irp valves had screens. Any ideas????
Old 07-16-2014, 11:56 PM
Posting Guru

78fordman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.78fordman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yes but it does come off. I would get a mirror and get a good look inside the hpop where the ipr mounts and make sure it's not lodged inside. What was your icp while cranking?

Sent from my leash using IB AutoGroup
1970 f-100 2wd, c-6, 425hp 390, 3.90 w/ minispool
2006 five hundred 3.0 DOHC w/ CVT
Old 07-17-2014, 01:27 AM
Post Fiend

Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.
Is that screen stainless steel? If it is then the magnet won't
pick it up. having a look back into the hole is a good idea.

Sean Click the image to open in full size.
6.0l Forum Map : Ask me About It
Old 07-17-2014, 09:44 AM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78fordman View Post
Yes but it does come off. I would get a mirror and get a good look inside the hpop where the ipr mounts and make sure it's not lodged inside. What was your icp while cranking?

I don't know, don't have a scan gauge or any way of testing. I do have an extendable mirror though, and will try it today. thanks!
Old 07-17-2014, 09:49 AM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
Is that screen stainless steel? If it is then the magnet won't
pick it up. having a look back into the hole is a good idea.

Sean Click the image to open in full size.
Thanks man, putting a mirror in there today!
Old 07-17-2014, 05:11 PM
Freshman User

Put a mirror in there and still didn't see anything in the hole. Found a piece of the fiber screen housing down in the valley, so decided to tear it down for a better look. May need a new hpop.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:16 PM
Posting Guru

78fordman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.78fordman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would but the torque app or scangauge before you start throwing parts at it. If the nylon screen took a crap and then got run through the hpop it could have gotten a small piece of it stuck in the ipr. Take the ipr and press the plunger in by taking a small punch and pressing in from the end. While holding it open flush with some brake cleaner. When you are done you will hear a little bit of air leak through the valve with shop applied through the same end you put the punch in. Then buy a new ipr screen kit and a new hpop screen and put it back together. You need some diagnostic reader to see what is going on.

1970 f-100 2wd, c-6, 425hp 390, 3.90 w/ minispool
2006 five hundred 3.0 DOHC w/ CVT
Old 07-18-2014, 08:51 AM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78fordman View Post
I would but the torque app or scangauge before you start throwing parts at it. If the nylon screen took a crap and then got run through the hpop it could have gotten a small piece of it stuck in the ipr. Take the ipr and press the plunger in by taking a small punch and pressing in from the end. While holding it open flush with some brake cleaner. When you are done you will hear a little bit of air leak through the valve with shop applied through the same end you put the punch in. Then buy a new ipr screen kit and a new hpop screen and put it back together. You need some diagnostic reader to see what is going on.

That's what I'll do, get it back together and buy a scangauge. Thanks man!!!
Old 07-24-2014, 08:22 PM
Freshman User

Scanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeycars View Post
That's what I'll do, get it back together and buy a scangauge. Thanks man!!!
Will a CAN OBD11 scanner work on this truck, will it show you values or just codes?
Old 07-24-2014, 09:14 PM
Postmaster

04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold
If it will enter the ford Xgauges then yes not all can OBDII readers will work on our trucks , like Actron. they wont even pull DTCs
Old 07-24-2014, 11:39 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04badford View Post
If it will enter the ford Xgauges then yes not all can OBDII readers will work on our trucks , like Actron. they wont even pull DTCs
Guess I'll break down and buy a scangauge11!! Thanks for all the info!!!!
Old 07-25-2014, 12:05 AM
Postmaster

04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold
Scan Gauges are good when your ready to load the X gauges there's a big list to be seen on FTE, remember there's no sensor for the Fuel pressure, you will have to hook up a gauge for that , some where on here was a code to get the gauge cheaper ,I'll dig around to see if I can find it
Old 07-25-2014, 12:35 AM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04badford View Post
Scan Gauges are good when your ready to load the X gauges there's a big list to be seen on FTE, remember there's no sensor for the Fuel pressure, you will have to hook up a gauge for that , some where on here was a code to get the gauge cheaper ,I'll dig around to see if I can find it
Awesome, thanks!!
Old 07-25-2014, 01:03 AM
Postmaster

ScanGauge II Ultra Compact 3-in-1 Automotive Computer with Customizable Real-Time Fuel Economy Digital Gauges $108.05 FSSS Lowest Price Ever - Slickdeals.net
Old 07-25-2014, 01:08 AM
Postmaster

Robot Check Robot Check
Don't know if the Edge price is good but the function is great.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:08 AM